Home

Where is the interest in the 2K league

This is a discussion on Where is the interest in the 2K league within the NBA 2K League forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K League
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-26-2019, 07:16 PM   #17
Rookie

MikeBadge's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Where is the interest in the 2K league

I never fully got the "all they do is 5 out iso critique". Maybe it's just the games I'm catching (which admittedly is few and far between) but it seems like I mostly see High PnR with two corner sitters and a shooter above the break.

But that's most NBA basketball nowadays too. And the good teams I watch in the 2K League have enough variation (wraps, double high screens, corner cuts) that I'm usually locked in to the strategies at play when I watch.

Hell T'Wolves Gaming got a big advantage in the Finals by throwing the 1-3 PnR or Pick and Pop at Sixers Gaming they weren't ready to guard.

I do agree the league hasn't had the most promising start in terms of reception in it's first two years, but I think their issues exist less on the team level strategy/game theory side of things. They definitely do need to find an audience, tho.
Old 08-28-2019, 11:56 AM   #18
Pro

Iasounis's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBadge
I never fully got the "all they do is 5 out iso critique". Maybe it's just the games I'm catching (which admittedly is few and far between) but it seems like I mostly see High PnR with two corner sitters and a shooter above the break.

But that's most NBA basketball nowadays too. And the good teams I watch in the 2K League have enough variation (wraps, double high screens, corner cuts) that I'm usually locked in to the strategies at play when I watch.

Hell T'Wolves Gaming got a big advantage in the Finals by throwing the 1-3 PnR or Pick and Pop at Sixers Gaming they weren't ready to guard.

I do agree the league hasn't had the most promising start in terms of reception in it's first two years, but I think their issues exist less on the team level strategy/game theory side of things. They definitely do need to find an audience, tho.
The last time I watched was the season 1 championship game. 5 out, no high screens was the majority of what I saw; though I only watched about 10 mins..
Old 08-28-2019, 01:54 PM   #19
Rookie

MikeBadge's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iasounis
The last time I watched was the season 1 championship game. 5 out, no high screens was the majority of what I saw; though I only watched about 10 mins..
Makes sense. I might have just caught the right two teams playing. It was this year's Finals series, though, so maybe it will be a sign of better things to come???

Last edited by MikeBadge; 08-28-2019 at 01:54 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-30-2019, 02:11 PM   #20
All Star

TarHeelPhenom's Arena

OVR: 10

My hope is that people are still going to real basketball courts, playing real basketball in real basketball leagues across America. Maybe I am old, but I just never thought I'd see the day when there was an actual video game basketball League with a draft where dudes are away from home 6 months out of the year to play Playstation 4 or Xbox One. Like someone else said, it doesn't appeal to me to watch someone else play video games. Video Games are a hobby and a way to wind down and escape for a few...and as much as I love em, it's still artificial.
Old 09-01-2019, 02:12 AM   #21
MVP

I am watching some 2K League just for kicks. Both teams LITERALLY have two players spotted up in the corners at all times. They never move. It’s just the other three running pick and rolls back and forth. I love basketball more than anything but I have no idea how anyone finds this entertaining. I don’t think I’ve seen an off ball screen yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-13-2019, 10:53 PM   #22
All Star

rockchisler's Arena

OVR: 40

I don’t like the five player concert with you to go to the FIFA Madden model of one player

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Follow me on www.Twitter.com/Rockchisler

Just type [ SPOILER ] and [ / SPOILER ], without any spaces.

ROOKIE KILLER
Old 09-15-2019, 06:51 PM   #23
MVP

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGsoGood
Where is the interest in the 2K league? What demographic is following the league most?

Does interest pick up after the actual NBA season?

Money spent on paying 2k leaguers + promotion is advertising for the game as well as incentive for people with dreams to buy VC/play all the time in order to possibly make the league.

Doesn't really need to be a following. People don't actually need to watch. We know OF the 2k league and maybe we've seen some of the dudes. I can't imagine many people are actually following it, as evidenced by how dead this forum is, but I mean... I'll check in on the championship game sometimes.

Like I said before, not to sound like an elitist, but I wanna see someone do something that surprises me. People in the 2k league are really good, but they don't seem unreachably good, from what I've seen. It's not like you couldn't take another really good player and plug them in and they could probably play the same role.

In other games, it seems like the people who are doing pro stuff or even in tourneys are on some other level, but to be fair, bball gaming is kind of 'my thing.' So maybe I am/was actually really freaking good at it. But I definitely have a lack of wonder when watching and it seems like it's pretty predictable.

-Smak
Old 09-18-2019, 05:46 PM   #24
SOLDIER, First Class...

JazzMan's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLSmak
Money spent on paying 2k leaguers + promotion is advertising for the game as well as incentive for people with dreams to buy VC/play all the time in order to possibly make the league.

Doesn't really need to be a following. People don't actually need to watch. We know OF the 2k league and maybe we've seen some of the dudes. I can't imagine many people are actually following it, as evidenced by how dead this forum is, but I mean... I'll check in on the championship game sometimes.

Like I said before, not to sound like an elitist, but I wanna see someone do something that surprises me. People in the 2k league are really good, but they don't seem unreachably good, from what I've seen. It's not like you couldn't take another really good player and plug them in and they could probably play the same role.

In other games, it seems like the people who are doing pro stuff or even in tourneys are on some other level, but to be fair, bball gaming is kind of 'my thing.' So maybe I am/was actually really freaking good at it. But I definitely have a lack of wonder when watching and it seems like it's pretty predictable.

-Smak
It's pretty jarring to see the contrast between pro Mortal Kombat players and the casual/slightly competitive MK player. 2k doesn't have that effect at all, especially offensively. As long as you can time an open corner three when your man helps off, that's all that 75% of the "pro" 2k players have to do on offense. Anybody could do that, so it doesn't make it fun to watch.

Green Bay Packers
Utah Jazz
Nebraska Cornhuskers

Dibs: AJ Lee

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K League »