Home

Verification code expieriment

This is a discussion on Verification code expieriment within the NBA 2K Mobile forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Mobile
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-28-2015, 09:11 PM   #1
Rookie

eamays's Arena

OVR: 0
Verification code expieriment

OK all, a quick disclaimer. I got banned last Monday night (December 21) and nothing from support even after 7 emails. I see that so many others are having the same issues, so I wanted to do a little experiment with a new account on a new device. I did this experiment tonight:

With a brand new account (0-0 quick game record), I got the verification code after 10 quick games played in 15 minutes, so to say that humans shouldn't get this screen is a complete LIE by CD, I let most of the animations play out, so I wasn't even skipping them. I purposely made 2 mistakes on the first verification, then entered the correct code. I then logged out and logged back in and my account was fine.

I repeated the process and got the verification after 10 games played AGAIN...this time the 10 games were played in 30 minutes! This time, I made 3 mistakes before entering the correct code. I logged out and logged back in and my account was still ok.

Then, I played 10 more quick games and got the verification prompt again. I was planning to make 4 mistakes this time, but after the 3rd incorrect code entry, my account was instantly banned.

So it looks like you only get 8 incorrect entries and you are automatically banned. There is no analysis by a human or having to cross your fingers that you aren't banned after maintenance anymore. You are immediately banned in a game where, if you don't pay attention 100% of the time, you will likely get banned.....and oh by the way, the point of the game is to mindlessly tap the phone screen 90% of the time.

For those of you that have been banned and that paid money for in-game content, contact Apple or Google. I am a Android user, so I contacted Google and already got one of my four $99 purchases refunded (yes I spent $400 on this game ) . I also found out today from Google's 2nd level support (someone named Priyanka told me over the phone) that Google has received a "worrisome spike" in complaints about CD in the past week. So much so, that my case has already been escalated to 3rd level support at Google because it matches a "recent pattern" with CD. The words in quotes were used by Priyanka, not me.

My main point is that you need to be very careful with this new verification system, because CD has clearly gone to "ready fire aim" mentality. I hope this helps out others that have had the same problem maybe get their money back and also make sure people need to pay close attention during the grind events and even mindless quick games.

Good luck with the game everyone!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-28-2015, 10:59 PM   #2
MVP

CedricFP's Arena

Re: Verification code expieriment

Thanks for posting this, eamays.I wonder if the 8 tries are cumulative as single failures, or you have to get at least 2 wrong before they start "counting".

I've made 3 total mistakes so far, usually because I'm watching TV while playing... but they were only 1-time mistakes, instead of getting it wrong twice.

But for sure I'm not dropping any money whatsoever on this game from here on out if bans go around this easily.

The additional Google information matches a trend here on OS; though without a doubt more *actual* cheaters are getting caught and wanting to get their money back, too.

I would suspect though that the real cheaters aren't posting about it on OS (I mean... it's just a mobile game), and I'm inclined to believe that most of the cases on here, especially from regulars, were incorrect bans. =\

At any rate, sorry you lost your account, dude, and I hope you get it back if you're trying to.

Last edited by CedricFP; 12-28-2015 at 11:11 PM.
Old 12-29-2015, 03:34 AM   #3
Rookie

jakuro's Arena

Without making expierements just with casual play doing my daily goal and while watching tv i got the verification 3 times in around 40 quick games and i was playing slow like 45-50s game with loading and drafting.And when i grind in rc i got back to back verifications

i think its time for them to make some changes to this crappy verification or return the old one when at least you cant click the wrong pic when you are not watching carefully
Old 12-29-2015, 09:51 AM   #4
Rookie

eamays's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedricFP
Thanks for posting this, eamays.I wonder if the 8 tries are cumulative as single failures, or you have to get at least 2 wrong before they start "counting".

I've made 3 total mistakes so far, usually because I'm watching TV while playing... but they were only 1-time mistakes, instead of getting it wrong twice.

But for sure I'm not dropping any money whatsoever on this game from here on out if bans go around this easily.

The additional Google information matches a trend here on OS; though without a doubt more *actual* cheaters are getting caught and wanting to get their money back, too.

I would suspect though that the real cheaters aren't posting about it on OS (I mean... it's just a mobile game), and I'm inclined to believe that most of the cases on here, especially from regulars, were incorrect bans. =\

At any rate, sorry you lost your account, dude, and I hope you get it back if you're trying to.
I was thinking about the cumulative effect of this also. If I have time today, I will try making a new account and make one mistake on the verification screen each time and see if I am still banned after eight failed code entries. I might even enter the correct code a couple of times and see if anything "resets" after 100 games.

I know CD made a change to the frequency of the verification pop-up, despite what Danan says. The old numeric verification came up when you would complete 10 games in about 6-7 minutes, but as long as you paced the game slower (or got interrupted at work/home like me and couldn't play for 7 straight minutes!) you would be able to grind slowly without the verification. Now with the new captcha, it seems to come up after 10 games, regardless of the time it takes to play those games. The proof of this is the numerous posts of people logging in after not playing for a while and getting the captcha immediately.

It's very clear that CD did a faulty job testing this new verification system. If I could hypothesize, Danan was likely told by his development and testing teams that it was properly tested, but there was also significant pressure to get the new captcha system released in the update for the RC the weekend before Christmas, so the developers and testers cut corners and did what they could. It is also very clear that the testers don't even come close to grinding during their testing. All of this was very poor execution by CD considering the holidays that were coming up.....however, I do need to thank them for freeing me from my game addiction for a very nice family Christmas that I had.

As for my future with this version of the game, my last CD support ticket, I simply asked for a refund of the remaining money that I spent on the game because they've fundamentally changed the way the game is played by me. I don't have the time to stare at my phone screen during my grinding. In fact, the way I have the phone placed on my desk at work and at home, I can keep up a conversation with anyone that comes into my office, or watch TV at home and still tap tap tap. Now that I need to pay attention and freak out every time I see the captcha screen to wonder if I entered the wrong code once or twice, it isn't worth it to even continue with the game anymore.

I told sbstunna to give up my spot on the Operation Sports team because I knew once I filed a chargeback with Google, that CD wouldn't restore my account. CD squashes dissention rather quick.

One other word of warning I will give for those considering a chargeback, if you paid for in-game content. I fund my Google Wallet with my Paypal account. Paypal warned me that if Google doesn't rule in my favor with CD for a full refund (right now I only have a partial refund) that I could open up a dispute with Google through Paypal....however, Paypal said that Google would likely lock my account until the dispute is resolved. I can't speak for how Apple would respond to such a dispute.
Old 12-29-2015, 10:37 AM   #5
Rookie

i guess theres nothing you can do about those random bans.

if you decide to spend money on this game, make sure you can claim it back after they scammed you (e.g. paypal)

No easy money for ScamDaddy :-)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-29-2015, 12:03 PM   #6
MVP

Danab's Arena

I feel for you, i know many banned people for the wrong reason. Thanks a lot for the time spent in your experiment

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
Old 12-29-2015, 12:08 PM   #7
MVP

Danab's Arena

Oh also this new verification screen has good in it since it is harder to break for botters. A validation step need to be implemented. We obviously tap like machine during RC/RTTC...

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
Old 12-29-2015, 12:25 PM   #8
Pro

Couple things:

New verification is clearly missing a confirmation prompt. When playing RC especially, you get into a rhythm of tapping the screen to move through screens. When verification pops up, it is SUPER easy to tap the screen and get the wrong icon, because you're just trying to tap to move on to the next game.

Counting that as a missed verification input is utterly ridiculous.

CD doesn't seem to actually understand how people play their game (more accurately, how this game forces us to play RC, if we wish to place high). Verification pops up a LOT for real human players that play this game the only way you can, if you want top level cards.

Edit- forgot to write my second point..

As for refunds, not saying people shouldn't seek refunds, but just know that for most of the refunds players get from Apple/Google, the money is just being covered by those companies, not by CD. In most cases Apple/Google don't even bother seeking refunds, and just pay out. It seems like Google is starting to take this seriously though, so maybe this will lead to something.

Also, just generally speaking, even if cheaters are requesting refunds, us that really all that crazy either? A lot of people spent a lot of money, and having the commodity that they paid a lot for, taken away for something as silly as cheating in this game is, seems stupid from CD's perspective, personally. They should have implemented some sort of suspension system, rather than flat out bans, for first offenses, especially when their means are so faulty.

CD tacitly encouraged cheating for years, by failing to take the issue seriously. Playing the role of judge, jury and executioner now (after benefitting from countless hot streaks being bought to keep up with all the cheating they allowed) just doesn't seem right. There should have been some acknowledgment that BOTH sides of this have screwed up, and need to work to get the game back to a proper space. Banning players outright that got caught up in the wave that CD did a lot to build up, was never the right move.

It's also prob not the right move to ban so many of their highest paying customers, but that's a whole other subject.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

Last edited by ActionJack; 12-29-2015 at 12:33 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Mobile »