Home

NBA 2k12 PC Impressions.

This is a discussion on NBA 2k12 PC Impressions. within the NBA 2K PC Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K PC Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-04-2011, 09:40 PM   #1
Semi-retired

BrianFifaFan's Arena

OVR: 50
NBA 2k12 PC Impressions.

Wow, just wow.... I finally got the game downloaded from Steam and wasn't sure what to expect. This game is the truth. I messed up my 2k online setup, I'm 1 day old. So I can't play online until I get that fixed, LOL. Went in to see how the Cavs would look this year. Decided to play the Kings, about the same level of talent. Immediately got all of the full presentation, and I found myself having to come back down to focus on the game. I hate to say it, but I didn't know that JJ Hickson is now a King. Well, I've got Jamison, Baron and Andy. Played on default settings and my beloved Drive Cam. Decided to check out my computer assigned video settings. 1080, with everything but crowd on max, which was medium. Bumped up the AA to 2x, smooth as butter. Did I say "wow?"

Back to the gameplay. I have to say that I have never seen a better looking sports game, period. And then I saw some shots that I have never seen in a 2k title, ever. Smooth, realistic, fluid. They must have redone every shot in the library. This game is as close to real as I've ever seen a game be, in the looks department. I did notice how the game does lack shaders and is kind of "cartoony." But the level of detail and the fluidity of player movement makes that a real nit-pick. This game is an instant classic. The AI is awesome, I'm looking forward to giving it a spin at the higher levels.Player movement, especially running sets couldn't be more precise or fluid. I loved how the CPU AI worked the ball to Evans and Cousins. There was a real strategy going on. My only quibble with the default gameplay so far is that shooting percentages might be too high. There seems to be a little too much love for the three. Both of us shot almost 55% from deep. I love it as Jamison and Parker were killing it, but it's actually too easy. If a guy had a 3 marker, it was pretty much money if you timed it right.

Okay, I'm gonna just say it. I can't see what the consoles have to offer that I'm not getting here. This has to be the single best $30 I've ever spent in my gaming life! I look forward to the mods and, hopefully, a large PC fanbase. I couldn't be happier with this game. I can see this being a year long lovefest. Between this and Fifa, I need no other games, period. Sad, $60 bucks and I have the two best sports games I've ever had. Funny thing is, when I first joined the site, all I played was PC. Think I'm back full circle. This game is the best of the best. Looks, Brains and Mods. Wow, just wow. Ten out of ten, in my book......

A great product sells itself, no "back of the box" features required! (See Fifa...)

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-04-2011, 10:36 PM   #2
Hail To The Redskins!

cjallure24's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: NBA 2k12 PC Impressions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianFifaFan
Wow, just wow.... I finally got the game downloaded from Steam and wasn't sure what to expect. This game is the truth. I messed up my 2k online setup, I'm 1 day old. So I can't play online until I get that fixed, LOL. Went in to see how the Cavs would look this year. Decided to play the Kings, about the same level of talent. Immediately got all of the full presentation, and I found myself having to come back down to focus on the game. I hate to say it, but I didn't know that JJ Hickson is now a King. Well, I've got Jamison, Baron and Andy. Played on default settings and my beloved Drive Cam. Decided to check out my computer assigned video settings. 1080, with everything but crowd on max, which was medium. Bumped up the AA to 2x, smooth as butter. Did I say "wow?"

Back to the gameplay. I have to say that I have never seen a better looking sports game, period. And then I saw some shots that I have never seen in a 2k title, ever. Smooth, realistic, fluid. They must have redone every shot in the library. This game is as close to real as I've ever seen a game be, in the looks department. I did notice how the game does lack shaders and is kind of "cartoony." But the level of detail and the fluidity of player movement makes that a real nit-pick. This game is an instant classic. The AI is awesome, I'm looking forward to giving it a spin at the higher levels.Player movement, especially running sets couldn't be more precise or fluid. I loved how the CPU AI worked the ball to Evans and Cousins. There was a real strategy going on. My only quibble with the default gameplay so far is that shooting percentages might be too high. There seems to be a little too much love for the three. Both of us shot almost 55% from deep. I love it as Jamison and Parker were killing it, but it's actually too easy. If a guy had a 3 marker, it was pretty much money if you timed it right.

Okay, I'm gonna just say it. I can't see what the consoles have to offer that I'm not getting here. This has to be the single best $30 I've ever spent in my gaming life! I look forward to the mods and, hopefully, a large PC fanbase. I couldn't be happier with this game. I can see this being a year long lovefest. Between this and Fifa, I need no other games, period. Sad, $60 bucks and I have the two best sports games I've ever had. Funny thing is, when I first joined the site, all I played was PC. Think I'm back full circle. This game is the best of the best. Looks, Brains and Mods. Wow, just wow. Ten out of ten, in my book......
Half the price, double the fun. Awesome review. Just give it a couple of weeks, and watch what modders do to this already great game.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:40 PM   #3
MVP

tcnumba10's Arena

OVR: 11

Ya, I'm not too worried about the lack of shaders/shadows or whatever that we are missing compared to the Xbox360 version since the incredible Modders will find a way to make the game ultra-realistic with their own shadows and color effects anyways. However it would have been sweet if they added Custom Arena Music but oh well, maybe next year! At least we have the same menus this time around, step by step I guess.

Also hopefully the modders can find a way again to alter the headband/accessory colors again this year since the Celtics at home wear white headbands and green arm accessories which ain't right...(and other teams accessory colors headband/arm bands are wrong)

Also what would you put the 3pt slider down to? 45-47 Is reasonable I think. The 3pt % is too high out of the box.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:47 PM   #4
Franchise Streamer

Millennium's Arena

OVR: 46
Anyone having issues connecting to NBA Today?

My Twitter
My Twitch Channel!
Old 10-04-2011, 10:48 PM   #5
CEO - BSG Network

Behindshadows's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millennium
Anyone having issues connecting to NBA Today?
Yes as of 4pm today it's not working, I think they are working on the 2ksports servers right now. Might be down for a day or so..
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-04-2011, 10:54 PM   #6
MVP

tcnumba10's Arena

OVR: 11

I read somewhere in the other forum for the xbox360/ps3 players that NBA TODAY somehow altered the gameplay for the worse... Not sure if it's true tho
Old 10-05-2011, 12:52 AM   #7
CEO - BSG Network

Behindshadows's Arena

Actually David Sterns just announced the pre-season is canceled and the whole season might be too...

So NBA Today games were showing the Oct.9th games as already playable on schedule...

Again the lockout might just effect this game....
Old 10-05-2011, 11:20 AM   #8
08 Mets! One Year Older!

thornie's Arena

OVR: 7

This is my first 2K basketball game since the Dreamcast days! I dled the demo for the 360 and had a ton of fun, even though I had no idea what I was doing as I've never actually played a sim basketball game. Any way, the price on PC was too good to pass up and I just recently built a super high end PC for Battlefield 3 , so I said to myself "2k12, why not!?".

First impressions...

Visuals:
Wow, despite the absence of self shaders this game looks beautiful. It's running at 170 FPS with all settings completely maxxed out as high as they can go. It runs so damn smooth, it's like butter. You don't get that little stutter that the console versions get from time to time. The players do look a little weird and bright without self shaders, but I assume there will be a mod for this eventually? I'm new to NBA2k games, so I don't know if these kind of things get addressed or not. I may also force vsync and triple buffering through the driver to lock this bad boy at 60 FPS.

Gameplay:
Although I know nothing about sim basketball, I am still having fun with the game. I'm still a little confused by the controls but I'm slowly getting it. If a "know nothing" like myself can pick this game up and win a few games, then kudos to 2k for making the barrier for entry manageable. I'm really digging the legends games, as the late 80s to mid 90s era was the era of the NBA I am most familiar with. Also, maybe it's just me but the "classic" games play at a much more slower pace than the normal ones, which I find to be really cool and gives it somewhat of an authentic feel.

All in all, I'm happy I spent the $30 on this game last night. I am curious to see how the modding community addresses the various graphical quirks the PC has, as well as offering other cool stuff like custom overlays and the like. It's cool to be playing an NBA game again, even if the real games won't be played out this year.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K PC Forum »