Home

Annoying bug in My Player mode - need help

This is a discussion on Annoying bug in My Player mode - need help within the NBA 2K PC Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K PC Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-06-2012, 04:56 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Annoying bug in My Player mode - need help

*UPDATE*
I decided to use this thread for any new (to me a at least) bugs encountered in my player mode.
1. My Buzz bug: workaround has been found (DONE)
2. All Star Game starting bug: no solution yet

I just encountered a really annoying problem (bug) in My Player mode and was wondering if someone knew a workaround or could point me to a solution.

After my last game against the Bucks (A+ rating, 35pts, 8 reb, 8 ast), I went to the press conference. Got an answer that led to an increase of league wide popularity and fan support (blue arrows up)(team chem remained the same green arrow) Here's where the problem is: league wide popularity dropped from 97 to 74 and Fan support dropped from 99 to 74 (team chem at 95). As I have a save from half time of the game I tried several times and gave many different answers and still end up losing those points. I also tried fouling and being benched for the rest of the game, but all available answers led to the same result

How can I avoid this? Is it the game against the Bucks? Should I skip the game against the Bucks and then play a couple of bad games to lower my Buzz-ratings? Any way to fix this?

As I am on PC is there a way to edit the save-files, so I could manually correct these issues, or do I risk breaking the integrity of my career-save?

This is really a bummer, I worked hard to get my SG's Buzz ratings up and now I lose them because of a bug. He's currently second for the All-Star-Votes with a couple of weeks to go and I fear he'll lose his spot on the All-Star team if his popularity is only in the mid 70s.

Last edited by UrGrue; 02-19-2012 at 04:29 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-06-2012, 05:14 PM   #2
The Living Legend

LivingLegend's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: Annoying bug in My Player mode - need help

Don't worry about the integrity of your save. If it bugged out you are entitled to manually correct it, seeing as the mode has many issues and there doesn't seem to be an answer as to what will be fixed and when.
Chicago Blackhawks
Old 02-06-2012, 05:59 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 6

I had this on a 360 My Player file a few months back. Theres no way to avoid it unfortunately, and it has actually happened on nearly all of my My Player files since at one point or another. Once again it just shows how little time and effort 2k actually puts into My Player each year, and I have absolutely zero doubt that this issue will carry over into 2k13 just like so many other frequent bugs in My Player.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:31 PM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealN42
I had this on a 360 My Player file a few months back. Theres no way to avoid it unfortunately, and it has actually happened on nearly all of my My Player files since at one point or another. Once again it just shows how little time and effort 2k actually puts into My Player each year, and I have absolutely zero doubt that this issue will carry over into 2k13 just like so many other frequent bugs in My Player.
Thanks for your answer (also to LivingLegend). Well that really is a shame. I guess I will try to correct the issue with a hex-editor or some cheat tool then.

Just goes to show that a one year release cycle is not a good idea for a quality sports simulation series. I am pretty sure the devs would love to fix all these (minor) issues but they just don't get the time to do it, because they have to work on the sequel.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:55 PM   #5
Rookie

UPDATE:
today I found some values in the save-file that are linked to the player buzz values in game.

but editing them didn't work as NBA2k would not load the modified files saying they were corrupt (even changing one value only didn't work)

Addresses I found: (all numbers in hex)

0x00006f2c was 64 before the bug (no idea what this is) / 0 when the bug hit and / 0 one game after the bug
0x00006f30 was 63 (Local Fan support)/ 4A / and 4A
0x00006f34 was 61 (league popularity)/ 4A / and now 49
0x00006f38 was 5E (team chemistry)/ 5F / and now 5C

all these values reflect exactly what changed in game
Changing them manually with the hex editor leads to corrupt files that don't load

I discovered two additional addresses in the direct vicinity that also changed, but I do not know what they do

0x00006f4c was 13 / 13 / and now 09
0x00006f50 was 14 / 14 / and now is 0F

maybe someone with better modding skills and better knowledge of the NBA2k files could help. I would be very grateful, as it seems that neither league-popularity nor local fan support can go over 74 decimal. I played a game after the values had dropped to 74. Got increases in fan support and popularity during the press conference but under Buzz it still reads 74 / 74 so the values remained the same.

Last edited by UrGrue; 02-07-2012 at 06:02 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-11-2012, 04:31 PM   #6
NBA 2K AI Software Engineer

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrGrue
UPDATE:
today I found some values in the save-file that are linked to the player buzz values in game.

but editing them didn't work as NBA2k would not load the modified files saying they were corrupt (even changing one value only didn't work)

Addresses I found: (all numbers in hex)

0x00006f2c was 64 before the bug (no idea what this is) / 0 when the bug hit and / 0 one game after the bug
0x00006f30 was 63 (Local Fan support)/ 4A / and 4A
0x00006f34 was 61 (league popularity)/ 4A / and now 49
0x00006f38 was 5E (team chemistry)/ 5F / and now 5C

all these values reflect exactly what changed in game
Changing them manually with the hex editor leads to corrupt files that don't load

I discovered two additional addresses in the direct vicinity that also changed, but I do not know what they do

0x00006f4c was 13 / 13 / and now 09
0x00006f50 was 14 / 14 / and now is 0F

maybe someone with better modding skills and better knowledge of the NBA2k files could help. I would be very grateful, as it seems that neither league-popularity nor local fan support can go over 74 decimal. I played a game after the values had dropped to 74. Got increases in fan support and popularity during the press conference but under Buzz it still reads 74 / 74 so the values remained the same.
First of all, you'd be better off cheating the game's memory via Cheat Engine. MUCH, MUCH safer.

Secondly, good job on finding the values. What you don't know is that the game keeps the first 4 bytes of each save as CRC, to verify its integrity. So changing anything in the file without recalculating the CRC and replacing the first 4 bytes will cause the game to complain that the savegame's corrupt.

Here's a guide regarding replacing the CRC in NBA 2K12 files after editing them:
http://forums.nba-live.com/viewtopic...36389#p1436389
Old 02-13-2012, 05:56 AM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftos
First of all, you'd be better off cheating the game's memory via Cheat Engine. MUCH, MUCH safer.

Secondly, good job on finding the values. What you don't know is that the game keeps the first 4 bytes of each save as CRC, to verify its integrity. So changing anything in the file without recalculating the CRC and replacing the first 4 bytes will cause the game to complain that the savegame's corrupt.

Here's a guide regarding replacing the CRC in NBA 2K12 files after editing them:
http://forums.nba-live.com/viewtopic...36389#p1436389

Thanks man! Exactly what I needed to know.

I had a slight suspicion that they used some kind of checksum, but didn't do any research in that direction.

Meanwhile the bug kinda fixed itself - after winning maybe 8 games in a row the buzz values started increasing again. But still I like to be prepared for the next time the bug will hit.
Old 02-18-2012, 04:10 PM   #8
Rookie

thought I use this thread as a bug workaround / solution thread.

So, on to the second extremely annoying bug that just hit my player.
My SG was voted (with >100k more votes than D. Wade) to start in the All Star Game for the east (playing for the Knicks).
But - the game starts and he is not in the starting lineup but on the bench and D. Wade is playing starting SG.

Is there any way to fix this?

I find it hard to believe that 2K's QA is so sloppy that they let this bug slip through. What are they doing all day? Playing as an All Star is a big part of the my player mode and they can't even get such a simple thing right?! Pathetic! I doubt they will fix this with the patch...

Shame on 2K. This game has so much potential, but it so unpolished it really makes me sad.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K PC Forum »