Home

whats the benefits of playing nba 2k on pc vs console?

This is a discussion on whats the benefits of playing nba 2k on pc vs console? within the NBA 2K PC Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K PC Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-28-2012, 11:56 PM   #41
Rookie

OVR: 8
Re: whats the benefits of playing nba 2k on pc vs console?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadio5
Hey holiday we seem to be thinking the same because im also gonna roll with the MSI 560 Ti. Let me ask, do you install it yourself? Are there tutorials on how to do this....never in my time on earth have i went into a computer....

VC/2k sports fan
Yeah you can certainly do it yourself. Without experience, as I was (a complete noob at PC modding stuff, but very "Google-savvy"), it can definitely seem overwhelming. First thing I did was open up my PC case, grab the manual, installation instructions, and my tablet with youtube open, another tab for general searching. LOL I was definitely scared.

Fortunately a few buddies of mine were also available to help. To be honest though, I've been home for almost 4 hours, and am JUST NOW getting done plugging everything back in, hiding wires, etc. But I'm the type that I'd rather be as careful as possible and get as much guidance as possible from experts.

Plus, I know I'm going to be doing this in the future, so I have to start somewhere and just keep learning. Pretty cool stuff though. About to boot up NBA2K12 with this baby and this amazing Ult. Base Roster and see what this thing is made of.

But yeah, every "knowledgeable" rep in the store was unanimous in recommending either the 550 Ti or the 560 Ti by Nvidia. Luckily the 560 was on sale for only $20 more than the 550 so I went with that.

WAITING FOR:
Fallout 4

Wife: "Of course he's going out to get his 2K game at 12am, like he can't wait til tomorrow."
Wife's mom: "Be grateful that's what he's running out at midnight for."
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-29-2012, 12:21 AM   #42
Rookie

OVR: 8

Wow.

I've played it on max settings for about 10-15 minutes now, and all I'm gonna say is, wow. Pure silk.

WAITING FOR:
Fallout 4

Wife: "Of course he's going out to get his 2K game at 12am, like he can't wait til tomorrow."
Wife's mom: "Be grateful that's what he's running out at midnight for."
Old 09-29-2012, 02:54 AM   #43
NBA 2K AI Software Engineer

OVR: 13

I saw people mentioning and asking about shadow mods and the Ultimate Base Roster, so let me give you some background information:

1) Shadow mods depend on hex-editing the global.iff file, finding the shaders, and messing around with their values until you get the desired result. My Global Editor tool which was based on the research by tatlopuyo and seanjohn1414 from the NLSC Forum, allowed pretty much everyone to create their own shadow mod with no hex-editing knowledge, and to apply others' shadow mods to whatever global they preferred. So, as long as there are people messing around with the shaders' values again this year and doing their research, we should have shadow mods earlier than ever this year. Compared to 2K9-2K11, shadow mod editing is no longer something only "an elite few" know how to do. The information about editing and creating shadow mods is public domain, which means the whole community can work on stuff like that right away, as long as there's people willing. Global Editor will receive some much requested upgrades this season, and it will allow even more impressive stuff that last year was only available via manually hex-editing the file.

2) The Ultimate Base Roster is such a big, all-around mod, that I can't promise it coming out any time near the release of the game. As long as the team behind it is enthusiastic about 2K13 and continue their work, with the experience HAWK23 and the rest of the guys got during 2K12, it should be coming out much faster than last year. Again, this all depends on many factors such as:
- How long it'll take to reverse-engineer the roster. Such big roster projects require a proper roster editing tool, and the only one that can do the job is REDitor, so it all depends on how much free time Vlad (the creator) has, how much help he receives, and how much the roster structure has changed since last year (signature skills are one thing, who knows what else?).
- How long it'll take to unpack and be able to edit art assets. When the game first comes out, we have to determine whether last year's tools such as the Decompressor, the ModTool, etc. work on the new version. If they don't, we either have to wait for the people that made them to update them (and since they're closed-source tools, we can't help much), or we can try to create our own tools.

Since I believe in community effort and open-source, whatever tool I attempt to make, be it a basic roster editor, an upgraded global editor, a voice-enabled macro tool, an asset decompressor, I'll make sure to keep it open-source, so that everyone in the community with programming and/or reverse-engineering knowledge will have direct access to the tool's code and be able to help get them done and out for the community quicker.

Whatever progress we make, you'll see it right when it's made over at the NLSC Forum, but I'll remain an active member here as well, keeping you updated on all the magic we'll be doing with 2K13.
Novato, CA, USA
Old 09-29-2012, 01:04 PM   #44
Rookie

OVR: 0

Hey guys,

its me again...i got my copy on 360 early...still waiting on my pc preorder to show up....but regardless...im kinda bummed now that i played the whole game (i.e. being able to use instant replay): the collision is this game are not exactly great...while there are no torsos going through torsos anymore, hands are still going through heads etc. on a pretty regular basis...and even more shockingly...the is ball pass morphing: the cpu tried to do a layup on me and then decided to pass and an suddenly the ball was "beam" from one play to another...

is there a way to fix those issues on pc? I was really hyped after playing the demo...but i can only tell you to curb your enthusiam if you are as hyped for 2k13 as i was...instant replay shows this games flaws the hard way...
Old 09-29-2012, 01:07 PM   #45
Rookie

OVR: 9

You can have mods on PC like having Anthony Davis picture and cyberface.

ON 360, I don't what's the point of cyberfaces? They are like the same as 2k's
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-29-2012, 01:22 PM   #46

miraiii, there have been gameplay mods, but they're the weirdest kind of reverse engineering I've seen, since they edit values directly in the game's EXE. I guess the person doing them knows where about to look, or has all the free time in the world. :P In any case, they were really helpful in improving some gameplay issues such as the speed of animations, but I don't think that anything can be done about 2K13's collision detection. That's part of the engine, and unless they give us access to its parameters and variables (neeeeeever gonna happen), it'll be up to 2K to optimize that.

It's their first year trying out something like that, so there's bound to be glitches. Anybody that played FIFA 11 or Madden 13 knows what the first year of your attempt at RTP ends up looking like.

It's a good start if it looks nice and plays nice in gameplay though, and it should be even better in 2K14.
Novato, CA, USA
Old 09-29-2012, 01:40 PM   #47
Rookie

OVR: 0

@leftos: agreed...maybe its because current gen tech cant handle real physics...but i have to say fifa's or Madden's physics are far superior to 2ks...but im afraid most casual fan dont care about real life phyics...you pc guys are probably the hardest of the hard core...usually when i complain about phyics in sports games (in the 360 section i did that quite a bit) i get the "its just a videogame" phrase...but i want to have a real simulation...and the clipping and morphing breaks the immersion for me...
Old 09-29-2012, 01:52 PM   #48

I understand, and that's exactly why I brought up FIFA 11 and Madden 13. Just do a search on YouTube for physics fails on FIFA 11 and Madden 13. The first iteration of a game that tries to implement RTP is bound to be half-enjoyable, and half-glitchy. Happened with FIFA 11, and I never saw most of these glitches again in FIFA 12. I was explaining this on Da Czar's show, when people complained about Madden 13's physics glitches.

From what I've seen, it looks really nice for 2K's and VC's first year. Give it a year, and I'm betting it'll be way better.

Clipping and morphing does break the immersion, but would you rather we still had cannimations over this first iteration of RTP? They have to take their first step in order to reach perfection, or whatever is close to that, don't they?

As you see, I don't give you the "it's just a videogame" answer. I'm a developer myself, and I've talked with people inside game development, I know the process, so I'm trying to give you an argument along with my answer.
Novato, CA, USA

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K PC Forum »