Home

NBA Elite 11, NBA Jam Impressions from New York

This is a discussion on NBA Elite 11, NBA Jam Impressions from New York within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-25-2010, 02:52 PM   #9
Pro

OVR: 7
Hey Czar was there a modifier for dunking and did you get to try out the post moves?... if so whats your take on it compared to anything you've played before?
Old 06-25-2010, 03:06 PM   #10
Pro

NoTiCe_O's Arena

OVR: 11
I for one like the idea of user skill determining everything in the game .. I feel like that's what games should be about. I'm gonna give this game a chance because i like where its going. I like the fact that if i put in the work i can be one of the best to play this game, that's cool to me and i like the challenge.

Hey, if you don't like the challenge you can always go play the other basketball sim out. I just like the fact that the game isn't being DUMBED DOWN like alot of games today, they bringing skill, hand eye coordination, and basketball I.Q back into videogames.. and thats What's up
Old 06-25-2010, 03:13 PM   #11
Livin' the dream

Stumbleweed's Arena

OVR: 39
Re: NBA Elite 11, NBA Jam Impressions from New York

It's about time Da Czar is an offical part of the OS staff... good stuff. Looking forward to more info about this game.

Czar, does shooting feel natural once you get used to it? Are all those beautiful leaners in the game again where you can just hold L in a direction and shoot while drifting to the side? Did the release point or timing change according to the type of shot (fadeaway, drifting shot, pull-up, standing jumper)?

Any comments on the Euro Step mechanic? Sounds pretty interesting and seems like it will produce some ridiculous highlights when combined with Freestyle Passing and the ability to change shots while in the air... can't wait to get my Wade on.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-25-2010, 03:32 PM   #12
Banned

OVR: 9
good right up. but you must be excited czar.i mean last year you were all about strategic control. and this takes it a step further. how do you feel bout that?
Old 06-25-2010, 03:48 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 11
Idk...but personally it felt like the release point on many of the jumpers in live10 were waaaayyyyy too late,almost like the player is on their way down...is it me?or has anyone else noticed this?I hope they fix it to where the release point is more accurate to the apex of the jump.this makes it so hard to learn jumpers on the fly,bcuz the release point on a lot of the jumpers don't feel like its at the apex of the jump.hopefully they tune the release points and make them at the apex of the jump on the players that should have this,since they seem to have done so well with the shooting mechanics thus far.
Can't wait to try this out! Thx for the insight czar,the game sounds like a day one purchase,and hopefully that holds thru as more info is released.
Old 06-25-2010, 04:04 PM   #14
NBA 2K Gameplay Producer, Offensive AI System - SIM NATION

Da_Czar's Arena

OVR: 61

[quote=mz3v3ry504;2041229173]Hey! but yeh i meant how do they feel on the controller. Does it make your hands cramp up after a while like fight night or is it more of a flick of the analog stick? QUOTE]

It feels really good doesn't take a whole lot of pressure so its not that bad on the fingers at least for the few hours I was playing. The moves make sense The hesitation spin is going to be a crowd favorite so be prepared to defend it. It will take a few minutes to get used to. Took me about 20-25 but consider the atmosphere as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da-Man
Hey Czar was there a modifier for dunking and did you get to try out the post moves?... if so whats your take on it compared to anything you've played before?
There is no modifier for the dunks I can already see definitively where the two games spilt philosophically on that part of the control. You just go at the rim and press up from what I remember and its a dunk. Or you can twirl right or left for layups on either side. You can also twirl left for a layup on that side then tap it back right to finish with the right hand on the left side. Its really ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbleweed
It's about time Da Czar is an offical part of the OS staff... good stuff. Looking forward to more info about this game.

Czar, does shooting feel natural once you get used to it? Are all those beautiful leaners in the game again where you can just hold L in a direction and shoot while drifting to the side? Did the release point or timing change according to the type of shot (fadeaway, drifting shot, pull-up, standing jumper)?

Any comments on the Euro Step mechanic? Sounds pretty interesting and seems like it will produce some ridiculous highlights when combined with Freestyle Passing and the ability to change shots while in the air... can't wait to get my Wade on.
Thanks Stumble much appreciated. To be honest I really, really need more time to get deep into the controls on this game. I am certain any of the community guys can answer that spent a bit more time with the game.

Shooting definitely starts to feel natural but what happened to me was my idea of straight up was not in line with the controller. That is what took the longest to adjust. A great thing I somehow left out of the article is that the jumpshot animation is tied to the distance meter. So that you actually start to get a feel for a guys release just by watching him. So once you get the left right staightened out you really get into a flow.

I asked and they said guys with quicker releases would also be reflected in a quicker release and shooting meter. So again it looks like practice will definitely pay off.

Release point question is a darn good one man. I didn't really notice I will definitley check that out but I'm sure someone else may have a definite answer for that. I did perform a few lean forward leaners that looked pretty descent.

Once the demo drops you will see that it going to take some getting used to before you can even really evaluate the game well. Or at least for me anyway. I really need some quiet time with it to get a really really good feel for it.

But Yes the jumpers felt really good after you get a feel for it. As the night wore on though I was pretty much money with Durant so that is one of my concerns about perfect shot's going in 100 % of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live Boii
good right up. but you must be excited czar.i mean last year you were all about strategic control. and this takes it a step further. how do you feel bout that?
It's really hard to say until I get to see it in 5 on 5. In theory and in 1 on 1 it's the business. Like I said though its the implementation that is going to be the thing. I think Elite has forever changed how basketball games control. The real question is now that pandora's box is opened will we want to close it , modify it, or open it up some more.

Every once in awhile a company comes out with a feature that has to be accounted for by everyone else. I felt like right stick shooting was one of those. Live's playcalling system was one of those and this control system is one of those. Its just up to how each game decides to implement.

Right now its looking like gamers will be able to choose based on their preference and THAT is awesome ! We have never seen both companies at the top of their game going at it. If not this year then definitely next year.

But the control is the BUSINESS !!!

OH Stumble I forgot man having control of the Euro's is very very nice....LOL
Catch me on that #SimNation #SimHangOut Friday's @ 10:00 pm est https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...N7yxMiElOpMl_B

Last edited by Da_Czar; 06-25-2010 at 04:11 PM.
Old 06-25-2010, 04:16 PM   #15
You Dead Wrong

Jano's Arena

OVR: 27

Hey Czar, glad to see that you're on the OS staff its a great thing to see hope it turns out well for you.

So my question is concerning the shot release, did the shooting window become smaller when you were defended or on the move? And if it did, did it have any kind of effect on your shooting in a negative way?

I'm sure this is something that will be tuned as the game gets closer to release but as of right now did it seem too easy to make shots?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-25-2010, 04:34 PM   #16
MVP

videobastard's Arena

OVR: 14

Im usually laid back on the couch holding my controller at all types of angles. It sounds like im going to have to have a proper posture holding the controller straight in order to line up the shooting with the analog going up. Dont want my shots being all left or right lol

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »