Home

Chris' Blog: Playing the blame game with NBA Elite 11

This is a discussion on Chris' Blog: Playing the blame game with NBA Elite 11 within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-23-2010, 04:53 PM   #97
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35
Re: Chris' Blog: Playing the blame game with NBA Elite 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnalnirvana
i think Ea is right they want to be, many may disagree but i strongly feel they have laid the foundation for their goal domination of the online user vs user basketball market....

fifa... many sing its praises but it has completely forgotten about the offline gamer for the last 3 yrs while it built its online gamer base. now it sells mainly as a online game. you want offline gaming you went to its competition who did ML very very well. anyone who is a serious footie junkie knows manager mode is beyond broken......

same thing is happening here the comp is doing franchise mode well so why compete with that since they cant get online right for years now. this is a business and if you are behind you do what the competition cant get right. The online market has grown so huge in recent years online basketball is there for the taking.

hence the focus on player control, and the blatant ignoring of the AI ala fifa

its becoming a multiplayer world, the days of gaming alone atleast in my opinion is slowly dying.

and i think its time we accept that basketball games are complementing each other, one has offline play done well the other does online well. now all ea has to do is beef up its looks and visual flair and its "cha ching"

i think the last thing standing in EA's way is our years of loyalty, to LIVE...

this is elite the online basketball simulator
For a long time I disagreed with a lot of what you said regarding FIFA but over the last year I have come to the conclusion that you were 100% right. Not even speaking about gameplay the MM was completely broken last yr with a well publicized glitch and there was no fix.

The comparisons between soccer and bball are eerily scary. There is a reason why people who are new to the sport LOVE FIFA.

Noshun,

Wassup with that letter? I'm trying to read it.

Last edited by KG; 09-23-2010 at 04:57 PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:38 PM   #98
Rookie

OVR: 2
EA should have had two development teams. One that works on expanding on NBA Elite 10 for this year (NBA 11) and one that could work on the controls for next year(NBA 12).
Old 09-23-2010, 06:04 PM   #99
MVP

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanestar
Its funny when people keep talkin bout 2k. this is a forum for nba elite...
2k got nothing to do with ea failing. i thinks its true that they hit the panic button
Talk about a contradictory statement.

Who do you think was responsible for causing EA to hit that panic button? There would have been no reason to if it weren't for a certain other company...

I think you see where I'm going with this.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:48 PM   #100
MVP

noshun's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG

Noshun,

Wassup with that letter? I'm trying to read it.
As soon as a mod says its okay.. I'll post it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dounte/MLBNFLNBALGS
I'd be the first to call myself a hypocrite.
Current Rotation: -/-
"Just know no matter who you are, the right system could turn a role player to a superstar." - Joe Budden
All Pro Football 2K8 Uniform Codes
Old 09-23-2010, 09:51 PM   #101
Pro

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcras7
The fact is EA is not the only one with a multiple year plan, to assume that the competition will sit idle by and allow them to catch up is ridiculous, after the release of this years games what exactly is their plan is it to add more controls graphic upgrade is an obvious, fact is they have to start from scratch with gameplay the game is not a representation of the complexities of NBA basketball.
I agree with this post. Let's go back in time and talk about both basketball series. Both companies has had 6 years. Now let's break down the so called "3 year plan".

NBA 2k6 was a good game for it's time. But 2k7 was better introducing sig styles, but it wasn't very sim. What did 2k do? They provided a better sim experience, sig styles, kept the shot stick and built on 2k7 with 2k8. That's 3 years of building (2006-2008) and 2k8 was the best out of the 3 year plan.

Now let's take the next 3 years. 2k9 had better movement and was more fluid that 2k8. The presentation was also better. The problem with 2k9 was the contact just wasn't there and the post game wasn't were it needed to be. So what did 2k do? The improved the the contact, the post game, the commentary, and overall physicality of the game with 2k10. Boxing out felt better, fronting the post felt better etc. They also added my player nba today, and improved the AI. But 2k10 fell short in overall movements and responsiveness in controls for the most part.

So what did 2k do? They have giving us better movement, kept the contact, improved the controls (both in responsiveness and making it user friendly), and they have continued to add realistic animations etc. They have addressed the community the last 6 years and in 2k11, we should have one of the greatest basketball games ever created. They continue to build and although 2k 11 isn't out yet, we can all tell that 2k11 should be the best in the last year of the "3 year plan. Just like 2k8 was.

This is the 2nd half of 2k's 3 year plan (2009-2011). Don't think the next 3 years 2k will be satisfied. History hasn't shown it regarding basketball.

Now let's compare that to EA's 6 years making next gen basketball games. Elite 11 has taken huge step backwards and this is nothing new. History has shown this. They continue to scrap what they have and start over. People should pay attention.

Last edited by magicman32; 09-23-2010 at 09:57 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-24-2010, 10:59 AM   #102
Banned

OVR: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eski33
Chris,

No disrespect to your opinion but to say that this is going to be a disaster is a stretch. Did you play MLB 2K9 or MLB 2K10? Those were a disaster.

I think the developers are going the right way with the controls. 2K's has a scroll with all of the buttons you have to push (i.e. a layup is X, X, A, B, RS, RS, LS, RS3, R1, L1, L2)...It's like trying to get fatality in Mortal Kombat.

Elite doesn't play poorly and the controls come with a bit of a learning curve but once you get past "EA Sports" and actually play the demo a few times, the controls are solid. The ability to miss a free throw with direction and distance has never been done and you can do that in this game. Not to mention, the classic controls are still available for those that cannot grasp or just plain dislike the new control scheme.

Here we have a sport in which we have options in terms of video games and people want to bash this and that instead of looking at the game itself.

I found the atmosphere and commentary to be outstanding. The ability to try the new career mode was a nice touch as well.

I haven't purchased a NBA title in years and I will buy 2K because of the classic teams (could care less about Jordan). Give me Nique and the Hawks or the 90's Pistons any day. But I am also considering Elite as it does offer a different way to play....
DID YOU LOOK AT ELITE GRAPHICS???...THE NBA 2K CONTROLS AINT THAT HECTIC LIKE THAT....YOU HYPED IT A LOT....EA ONLY WORK ON THE ATMOSPHERE AND COMENTARY...WHAT ABOUT THE ACTUAL SPORT OF BASKETBALL??....JUST GIVE IT UP MAN...WE WERE ALL EA SPORTS BASKETBALL FANS BUT THEY FAILED US...NO MORE EXCUSES..

DO YOU WORK FOR EA???
Old 09-24-2010, 12:28 PM   #103
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcras7
The fact is EA is not the only one with a multiple year plan, to assume that the competition will sit idle by and allow them to catch up is ridiculous, after the release of this years games what exactly is their plan is it to add more controls graphic upgrade is an obvious, fact is they have to start from scratch with gameplay the game is not a representation of the complexities of NBA basketball.
Righto. I was not attempting to say anything within the realm of, "2K will be sitting idle for a while now." I was simply saying, things happen, things change, and I'm not certain I agree that it's a foregone conclusion that EA will never catch up to 2K in the sport of basketball. Problems arise, innovations are introduced, innovations sometimes fail, the direction of a given game may change, etc.

Again, I'm not saying it's bound to happen. 2K may just as well continue to dominate forever. But I've seen a ton of turn arounds and unforeseen series of events in other sports video game titles over the years. It's not out of the question to me for EA to reemerge and legitimately compete in this market. . .just not necessarily in the near future.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »