Home

NBA Live 18's Gameplay is Fun, But There Are Some Key Misses

This is a discussion on NBA Live 18's Gameplay is Fun, But There Are Some Key Misses within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-23-2017, 08:55 PM   #9
MVP

OVR: 34
Re: NBA Live 18's Gameplay is Fun, But There Are Some Key Misses

The CPU is a relentless force attacking the paint on all star and superstar. I CANNOT keep them out of there. Ive tried multiple defensive settings. I don't recall the demo playing like this. What happened?? It's really one of the few things that I find glaringly wrong and must be addressed, ASAP.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:01 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportyguyfl31
The CPU is a relentless force attacking the paint on all star and superstar. I CANNOT keep them out of there. Ive tried multiple defensive settings. I don't recall the demo playing like this. What happened?? It's really one of the few things that I find glaringly wrong and must be addressed, ASAP.
u wont be able to stop them on superstar but should be able to on all star
Old 09-24-2017, 01:48 AM   #11
Rookie

Macs Power's Arena

OVR: 0

They must have updated the game within the last few days since CPU takes far more mid-range shots when required (or have space)

I tweaked sliders a week ago so it can't just be taking effect now

NBA Fan since 2007

Last edited by Macs Power; 09-24-2017 at 03:41 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-24-2017, 08:24 PM   #12
Rookie

JAYHOVA110's Arena

OVR: 4

1st off I'm loving the game but I hate the way the AI players go after loose rebounds. It's as if they can't lift their heads up to see where the ball is going lol. Also, this game NEEEEDS player editing. That whole Synergy thing is cool but they should have never taken away the ability to edit from the person playing the game.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:57 PM   #13
Rookie

uponablackstar's Arena

OVR: 1

Still have a blast with this game, but here's a few things I hope will get addressed:

1. No real mid-range game
2. Not enough fouls are called to validate the collisions
3. I think the default speed should actually be lowered. It's too zippy.
4. There's a lot of circus layups that some players shouldn't have the ability to pull off
5. Still too many blocks and steals
6. The One's NBA games need some sort of chemistry system to prohibit us from essentially controlling the offense at will (calling for passes, shots, etc.)
7. Player/team tendencies seem off
Old 09-24-2017, 10:36 PM   #14
Pro

OVR: 4

IGN was right about this game's lack of animations. I'm guessing ea did something to where the ai will now attempt wide open jumpers, but the ai still attacks the paint at an unrealistic amount of times, even with me playing pretty good defense. Most of the time, the ai's PG is usually Jalen Rose's 'cold player' since they brick so many layup attempts.

Just finished a game against the grizzles and Conley triggered the jostle animation 4 times in a row, determined to drive to the rim no matter what. It just looks bad, and every pg plays like this in this game. There's also a weird layup/hook shot animation that I've seen several times now where the player jumps backwards as the ball soars in the air that goes in every time. I guess it counts as a wide open shot, even if a defender is nearby.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:40 AM   #15
MVP

DBMcGee3's Arena

OVR: 7
Fair points, although you can definitely use the shot stick in the post, and also to dunk.* I also haven't really had much trouble with the defensive AI from my teammates, there are far more "WTF is he doing???" moments in 2k, where shooters are constantly left wide open regardless of my settings.
For me, Live just needs to continue working on their animations.* There just needs to be more variety in some areas, particularly the finishes around the rim.* I can live with it having less animations than 2k, because honestly I find Live more responsive, but there's still room for improvement without ruining what they already ave working for them.

The 1v1 game and the defensive side of the ball are the two areas where I feel Live really excels above its competitor in terms of gameplay.* The lack of gliding and skating is a real plus for me, it feels like defense actually matters.* I also think 'The One' is probably my favorite career mode ever, can't get enough of that right now.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-25-2017, 09:47 AM   #16
Black Mamba

Shadymamba's Arena

OVR: 26
Nice article and very accurate and as a person who has played the demo from day 1 and only been playing live - your spot on with the gameplay and some of the things that can be tuned. *i feel its about a patch or 2 away from really being an awesome game -its very good, but yes the *mid range game is non existent even with slider tuning its just not there. *And one of my main gripes is CPU coaching substitutions, I have experienced numerous times, key starters on the bench during crunch time of the 4th quarter, I also experienced as a starter, being subbed out in the 2nd quarter and not starting the 3rd. *Things that can be fixed. *Another thing that needs to be looked at are the extreme amount of blocks compared the the amount of fouls "not" called - many games teams will combine for 15-18 blocks (with block slider at 0) and combined for a total of 12-15 free throws - and nobody is ever in foul trouble (with all foul sliders at 100). *That can make a lot of people feel its arcade like. *if they make the sliders more responsive and patch out a couple of things it will be fine. **
CFB: Oregon Ducks '10

I HATE TO LOSE MORE THAN I LOVE TO WIN
--------------------------------------------------
Twitter: Rileyfcol
PSN: Doc_Hollladay
Instagram:7_wolfe

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »