Home

NBA Live 19 Demo Available Now For Both Xbox One & PS4 - Post Your Impressions Here

This is a discussion on NBA Live 19 Demo Available Now For Both Xbox One & PS4 - Post Your Impressions Here within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-24-2018, 08:45 AM   #57
MVP

FerdBrown's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: NBA Live 19 Demo Available Now For Both Xbox One & PS4 - Post Your Impressions He

Did we have 5 saves in Live 18? I think we had such. Now I test the other build without rejecting the current one.
Old 08-24-2018, 08:48 AM   #58
MVP

scottyp180's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: NBA Live 19 Demo Available Now For Both Xbox One & PS4 - Post Your Impressions He

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLSmak
Yea haha. It's nba live. I still gotta get it and try it today but that's step one. It's like watching all the elite players on 2k play live, try to dribble and launch a crazy shot and be like man this game sucks!!!

It's a completely different game. I played 18 awhile ago and we lost cuz I got beat on the boards down the stretch, and I was like sry dudes I'm still playing 2k out there.

-Smak
Haven't tried the demo yet but that's exactly how I felt when I played Live 18. Initially thought the game yet awful, gave it a little more time and then it just clicked for me. It's tough going from 2K to Live and vice versa. Once you get the feel for one game it's a big adjustment to go back to the other game.

Looking forward to getting my hands on the demo later and throughout the weekend. Sounds like this game can play a good, fun game of basketball
Old 08-24-2018, 08:51 AM   #59
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

OVR: 46

Impressions are all over the place. I'm seeing contradictory statements regarding movement, spacing and play calling. Think we just gotta play it ourselves.

I've only played the first two The One games but will have more thoughts later.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer
Old 08-24-2018, 08:51 AM   #60
MVP

cthurt's Arena

OVR: 3

I'm kind of having mixed feelings about the game from the start I really loved the 3 on 3 match that played smooth as butter, and moving on to The One aspect of the game gameplay still felt good and responsive a lot better then Live 18, but once I played the play now game that same smooth feel and responsiveness was out the door and it felt more like Live 18.

IDK if its a placebo effect or what might need more time with the game to be sure, but I hope I'm just tripping because I cant buy this game just for the Streetball aspect of the game.
Old 08-24-2018, 08:54 AM   #61
Rookie

Vazione's Arena

Overall, I am loving the progress.

Pros

- RPM. God damn. It really, really makes a difference.

- Graphics. I am playing in 4K, HDR and it looks magnificent. Those trailers weren’t lying.

- Dribbling. Losing dribbles seem more common if you get too crazy on the sticks (thankfully) and animations blend better.

- Defense. I loved defense in Live 18 and this is an improvement.

Cons

- The Ball. It does float, like 18. It’s improved but something is off.

- Commentary. This is just a demo so I doubt it’s the full version. If it is the retail version, then it’s very bland.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-24-2018, 08:57 AM   #62
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

EA still hasn't motion captured enough dribble moves, triple threat moves, or post moves for Live, and their relatively small library of offensive maneuvers makes their one-on-one offense feel generic and repetitive. After only a few hours of playing the demo, I already feel like I've seen every possible way that you can get past your man in a one-on-one encounter. I hardly noticed any difference dribbling around with Curry, Kyrie, and Tatum in the one-on-one mode; athlete differentiation during gameplay remains a major problem across EA's entire portfolio of sports games. They do a good-enough job of distinguishing between players' visual likenesses, but athletes who have different offensive skill sets still control and animate too similarly in EA Sports games.

All of the gather moves and jump shots still animate too slowly. If a real NBA player took as long as it takes in Live to gather and go up with a shot, he would get his shots swatted into the crowd all game long.

Contested layups and dunks go in too easily, even over highly rated rim protectors. My 6'5" backcourt defender point guard who has a slightly above-average 81 dunk rating was repeatedly making contact layups and triggering posterizer dunk animations over big men like Andre Drummond, Anthony Davis, and Joel Embiid.

I like how the cutoff, contest, and steal mechanics are balanced in Live's on-ball defense systems, but the game needs an option that disables the assisted, CPU-controlled movement that kicks in whenever you press the left trigger. We should be able to sit down and get into our defensive stance without having to give the CPU any control over our player's movement.

That same concept of "full user control" needs to be applied to Live's dribbling. Since the dribble move inputs are dependent on which hand the ball is currently in, the ball should never be changing hands unless the user deliberately flicks his right joystick and tells the game to switch hands. Please add a controller option that removes all of these automated hand-switching animations from the game.

Last edited by jyoung; 08-24-2018 at 09:22 AM.
Old 08-24-2018, 09:01 AM   #63
Pro

So far....

Good = movement, courts, lighting. Very good pick up ball game / Street ball.

Bad = the commentaty is TERRIBLE. They were going on about non stop movement when a cpu player hit a standing still 3. Very little matches what is happening. Lots of generic 'HE would be / any other player but HIM'.

It is 2018...commentary feels like a 2010 game. I am stunned at how bad it is.

Klay took a wide open three and made it...commmentary = It is better to be lucky than good and HE took a terrible shot. What on earth...it is the worst commentaty I have heard in years. Truly stunningly bad.

Some player models are way off...Shaq and Draymond Green are built like they are Antwan Jamison.

Worse = the actual NBA part is terrible. Absolutely nothing like real NBA basketball.

Summary = Potentially excellent street ball game. NBA parts are incredibly poor.

Last edited by Walt Frazier; 08-24-2018 at 09:12 AM.
Old 08-24-2018, 09:34 AM   #64
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavs2016
No more mike breen?

The commentary is god awful in play now. God awful. Major major disappointme
It is unfathomable how a big company could release commentary THIS bad. It is is, literally, the worst in any sports game in maybe a decade.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »