Home

NBA LIVE just dropped a 2019-20 update

This is a discussion on NBA LIVE just dropped a 2019-20 update within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-20-2019, 08:18 AM   #17
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51
Re: NBA LIVE just dropped a 2019-20 update

It ain't dead or they wouldn't have announced a cover athlete just a few weeks ago

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.for...o-sources/amp/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 07-20-2019, 08:44 AM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 0

Where are the Cavs, Magic, and Nuggets?

Last edited by pHiLKizer; 07-20-2019 at 08:50 AM.
Old 07-20-2019, 09:26 AM   #19
Pro

zrohman's Arena

A cover athlete leaked. It was never officially announced.

Pre-orders for 2k have been available for weeks now.

The developers are either dead, stupid, or the game is off. Chances are, the game is off. Why would they let 2k get preorders for 2-3 weeks before even mentioning anything?

I don't say that because I want it to happen, but 2k cover athlete was officially announced weeks ago. Preorders have been available. Add in the fact that Live hasn't said anything official about the game. Apparently, they were hard at work with an update to Live 19, but no word on Live 20.
Old 07-20-2019, 09:35 AM   #20
MVP

oldman's Arena

OVR: 17

Maybe it isn't dead but coming back in a different sense.
Could they possibly going a F2P route and start adding in updates and add ons to create revenue?
The silence that we still have about all of this is wild.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

WOO PIG SOOIEE!
Old 07-20-2019, 09:55 AM   #21
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintsa
Them not announcing a new partnership with the nba along with 2k is what has red flags in my eyes....if they didn’t want to announce it the same time as 2k, fine ok. But it’s been months and still nothing....
Maybe their licensing deal is on different years. But I really don't see Live getting a different deal than 2k. 7 years 1.1 billion is a lot of money per year for licensing. 2k can essentially pay that 157 mill off of the microtransactions/VC sales alone. EA has the money, but Live hasn't been selling that well.
Starting next week, there is essentially 7 weeks until a projected release. Besides mo-cap/tweets/speculations, nothing official yet for NBA Live. I'm not saying it is canceled, it just brings up a lot of red flags. You usually don't see sports games updating rosters this late. I don't think it would be a good idea to cancel this year. It would be a bad look to cancel a game 2 out of 4 year span. Only way I can think they could do that is if they say they are fully committing to next gen consoles next year. Where they don't release this year and don't release a current gen next year. Where they put their primary focus on next gen, while just updating Live 19 in the time being
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-20-2019, 10:52 AM   #22
Rookie

RoyalKrimpet's Arena

They are still missing some minor moves like Emanuel Mudiay going to the Jazz & Rondae Hollis-Jefferson going to Toronto.* But why only increase Giannis' rating and make him a 99? Because he won MVP? He was perfect the way he was.
Old 07-20-2019, 11:13 AM   #23
Member of Rush Nation

CujoMatty's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by illwill10
Maybe their licensing deal is on different years. But I really don't see Live getting a different deal than 2k. 7 years 1.1 billion is a lot of money per year for licensing. 2k can essentially pay that 157 mill off of the microtransactions/VC sales alone. EA has the money, but Live hasn't been selling that well.
Starting next week, there is essentially 7 weeks until a projected release. Besides mo-cap/tweets/speculations, nothing official yet for NBA Live. I'm not saying it is canceled, it just brings up a lot of red flags. You usually don't see sports games updating rosters this late. I don't think it would be a good idea to cancel this year. It would be a bad look to cancel a game 2 out of 4 year span. Only way I can think they could do that is if they say they are fully committing to next gen consoles next year. Where they don't release this year and don't release a current gen next year. Where they put their primary focus on next gen, while just updating Live 19 in the time being
This would be a colossal mistake. If you go on Reddit it’s easy to see that Live has made some serious headway with 19. Obviously they still have a long way to go but not putting out a game at this point would be massive steps back. EA has to know this and I can’t see it happening.

Live finally has a good base game to work from so i don’t believe EA would be dumb enough to try and reinvent the wheel with gameplay now.

I could definitely see the licensing dollars being an issue but I read that it would probably be significantly less than what 2k paid because EA has a lot less NBA properties under their umbrella. Maybe they are negotiating a deal right now and that’s why EA hasn’t said anything yet? Honestly licensing issues is the only thing that makes much sense to me at this point.

The free 2 play theory is something I’ve been thinking Live could do for a few years. It’s only a matter of time till that’s the standard for console games in my opinion but it doesn’t really explain why EA is being tight lipped.

Again the licensing issue makes the most sense as it’s possible that EA doesn’t even know if they can release a game at this point so that’s why they aren’t saying anything. I’ve thought for awhile that EA was just waiting to announce the game, everyday that passes it seems more likely something is wrong. If they know a game is coming out for sure why wouldn’t they at least say a games coming official announcement at a future time. If the series is getting turfed I could see them waiting till after Madden to announce so they can at least take some victory laps first with that release.

Last edited by CujoMatty; 07-20-2019 at 11:19 AM.
Old 07-20-2019, 01:31 PM   #24
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by CujoMatty
This would be a colossal mistake. If you go on Reddit it’s easy to see that Live has made some serious headway with 19. Obviously they still have a long way to go but not putting out a game at this point would be massive steps back. EA has to know this and I can’t see it happening.

Live finally has a good base game to work from so i don’t believe EA would be dumb enough to try and reinvent the wheel with gameplay now.

I could definitely see the licensing dollars being an issue but I read that it would probably be significantly less than what 2k paid because EA has a lot less NBA properties under their umbrella. Maybe they are negotiating a deal right now and that’s why EA hasn’t said anything yet? Honestly licensing issues is the only thing that makes much sense to me at this point.

The free 2 play theory is something I’ve been thinking Live could do for a few years. It’s only a matter of time till that’s the standard for console games in my opinion but it doesn’t really explain why EA is being tight lipped.

Again the licensing issue makes the most sense as it’s possible that EA doesn’t even know if they can release a game at this point so that’s why they aren’t saying anything. I’ve thought for awhile that EA was just waiting to announce the game, everyday that passes it seems more likely something is wrong. If they know a game is coming out for sure why wouldn’t they at least say a games coming official announcement at a future time. If the series is getting turfed I could see them waiting till after Madden to announce so they can at least take some victory laps first with that release.
I liked Live 19. Honestly I would prefer The One over MyCareer if it wasn't for The League section. I like that my player starts at a higher more competitive Overall than MyCareer. That it is more realistic where physical ratings are essentially maxed at the beginning and based on the icon path you choose, you can earn up to
A few more upgrades. Microtransactions aren't shoved down your throats. You have to earn your way uo, but it isn't like it takes that long. My issue was that I just couldn't get into the League section at all. I do like the one on one gameplay. I feel like I can be a lockdown defender or beat a defender.
But Live does have to figure out what they are going to do. They can't keep coming out at basically a discount discount and selling it at $15 at and after Black Friday. I'm not sold on the F2P model especially when it comes to sports games. I rather get a game that is close to 100% complete. Where patches are just game fixes. I get the Live Service model is where games are eventually headed. But I don't want to wait for a key feature is added.
I do think Licensing will be an eventual issue. I just don't see NBA having Live on a significantly cheaper deal than 2k .

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »