Home

NBA Live 20 Has Officially Been Canceled

This is a discussion on NBA Live 20 Has Officially Been Canceled within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-29-2019, 09:07 PM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 5
So does this mean that live 21 will get a 2 year development cycle?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-29-2019, 09:23 PM   #26
MVP

scottyp180's Arena

Re: NBA Live 20 Has Officially Been Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_B_Mack
Remember when NBA Elite '11 was cancelled and they were going to use all that time to make NBA Live '12 an amazing game but that didn't happen and '12 was cancelled too. Maybe you remember on the heels of that cancellation that NBA Live '13 was going to definitely deliver the goods to all the patient Live fans because it had 2 years of development time behind it to ensure that they got back on track only for that to not happen as Live '13 was also cancelled. Or maybe you remember that gut punch when we found out that Live '13 didn't have a 2 year development cycle as they opted to do nothing for a full year and gave Live '13 a standard development cycle.....

You are completely correct but the situations arent exactly the same. EA attempted to completely change the series with NBA Elite and it derailed the franchise for years to the point where people believed EA was done with NBA games. At least in this situation there is a solid foundation to build on. Live 19 was easily the best release in the series since Live 10 and showed promise for the future. With the extra development time and fresh new powerful hardware there is plenty of potential for the next release.

Now don't get me wrong, this is a "looking at the glass half full" situation where I am essentially ignoring the past issues and shortcomings of the series. I just think there is potential for EA to release a very solid product with the next Live

I think the best sports analogy would be the Cleveland Browns. A historically bad franchise that showed potential last year, like Live 19, with a lot of hope going into this year. The Browns haven't been able to turn it around but maybe EA can.
Old 10-29-2019, 09:34 PM   #27
MVP

scottyp180's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgiordano
They lied and said it was delayed and coming out
They play this game every time
Don’t keep people on the fences with your silence and then cancel it. Bad business practice
I doubt they planned on cancelling the game when they first announced the delay. There was speculation that the game would release around All-star break so if that was discussed there was likely a lot of debate within EA about when the game would be ready and when it could be released and it got to a point where they decided they were better off taking the year off.

At this point I think it was the right decision regardless. No reason to release Live 20 just to release a game. With the way sales have gone with the series they would have had to blow people out of the water for the game to sell well and clearly that wasn't going to happen. This at least gives them a chance to, essentially, start fresh next gen and possibly release a product that looks and feels like a next gen NBA videogame.
Old 10-29-2019, 09:35 PM   #28
Rookie

Exile04's Arena

OVR: 1

Maybe they are taking the news about the NCAA changing their stance on paying players. Taking that news and going to transition to a NCAA basketball game with the next gen consoles.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 10-29-2019, 09:46 PM   #29
Greatest caddie ever!

youvalss's Arena

OVR: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyp180
I doubt they planned on cancelling the game when they first announced the delay. There was speculation that the game would release around All-star break so if that was discussed there was likely a lot of debate within EA about when the game would be ready and when it could be released and it got to a point where they decided they were better off taking the year off.

At this point I think it was the right decision regardless. No reason to release Live 20 just to release a game. With the way sales have gone with the series they would have had to blow people out of the water for the game to sell well and clearly that wasn't going to happen. This at least gives them a chance to, essentially, start fresh next gen and possibly release a product that looks and feels like a next gen NBA videogame.
Ummmm...starting fresh is not a good scenario for Live. It means starting over with a sub-par product that would need another 3 years just to become decent. Hopefully they are building on 18 and 19 - but making it still feel and look fresh, as well as being innovative. A next gen game should justify a realease on new consoles, it has to be amazing.

As far as graphics, I don't think we need to worry. In my opinion 18 and 19 look great and I can see myself still liking the graphics 2-3 years from now. How everything else will be is remained to be seen.

ZX Spectrum
CPU: Z80 @ 3.5 MHz
GPU: Monochrome display
RAM: 48 KB
Old 10-29-2019, 10:10 PM   #30
MVP

Junior Moe's Arena

OVR: 0

Not surprised. At the end of the day Live just isnt a good game, it hasn't been in a long time. The most telling thing about Live is that the only time the game was/is praised is when its referenced to 2K in some way. In a vacuum, very, very few people discussed actually playing and enjoying the game.

EA has had enough time to right this ship. If EA is still adamant about the basketball market then write the NBA off and get in on the ground floor of a return to College Basketball next gen.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 10-29-2019, 10:26 PM   #31
Rookie

HoustonHarden's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile04
Maybe they are taking the news about the NCAA changing their stance on paying players. Taking that news and going to transition to a NCAA basketball game with the next gen consoles.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Operation Sports mobile app
to early for theories They arent itching to pay NCAA players for the rights to use their face for a video game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-29-2019, 10:32 PM   #32
Rookie

HoustonHarden's Arena

Doesnt surpise me. Once they updated 19 with current seasons rosters that was the sign. After 10 years they are still years being the competition in total offering. Bad sign that they cant get it together and release competent product after the 3 restarts and 3 cancellations.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »