Home

EA Still Working on a Basketball Game, But Won’t Confirm NBA Live

This is a discussion on EA Still Working on a Basketball Game, But Won’t Confirm NBA Live within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-27-2021, 06:13 AM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
EA Still Working on a Basketball Game, But Won’t Confirm NBA Live

After delaying NBA Live 20 back in July of 2019, then following up later in the...

Written By: Steve Noah

Click here to view the article.
Follow me on Twitter
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-27-2021, 12:34 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: EA Still Working on Basketball Game, But Won’t Confirm Title

Why is everything with EA gotta be a secret when it comes to the Live franchise. Either you're making it or not! Their transparency have to get better. As far as them making multiple basketball games go that does not say much rather they are simulation or non-simulation. Maybe a NBA Street and possibly a college basketball game could be in the works.

Last edited by Charles Bliss; 07-27-2021 at 01:27 PM.
Old 07-27-2021, 01:05 PM   #3
MVP

noshun's Arena

OVR: 14

EA wouldn't announce it on their own platform, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dounte/MLBNFLNBALGS
I'd be the first to call myself a hypocrite.
Current Rotation: -/-
"Just know no matter who you are, the right system could turn a role player to a superstar." - Joe Budden
All Pro Football 2K8 Uniform Codes
Old 07-27-2021, 03:12 PM   #4
Greatest caddie ever!

youvalss's Arena

OVR: 42

Interesting....

For those who didn't take the time to do it, I will say it again - if you take the time to edit players in Live 18 and especially increase court vision (between 75-99) you will have the best playing offline NBA Live game, in my opinion. The AI, ball movement and player movement is pure awesomeness. I wish EA continued to develop this version and improve after 19, which was worse in my opinion.

ZX Spectrum
CPU: Z80 @ 3.5 MHz
GPU: Monochrome display
RAM: 48 KB
Old 07-27-2021, 03:15 PM   #5
Greatest caddie ever!

youvalss's Arena

OVR: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Bliss
Why is everything with EA gotta be a secret when it comes to the Live franchise. Either you're making it or not! Their transparency have to get better. As far as them making multiple basketball games go that does not say much rather they are simulation or non-simulation. Maybe a NBA Street and possibly a college basketball game could be in the works.
Looks like they are making it, but still need to decide if to release it, cancel it, show it in action and then cancel it, or just pretend it never happened. That's a lot to think about, it takes time.

One time I want EA to release a honest trailer for a basketball game with a cancellation notice at the end: "Cancelled on PS5 and XBSS/X this fall! Stay tuned!"

ZX Spectrum
CPU: Z80 @ 3.5 MHz
GPU: Monochrome display
RAM: 48 KB

Last edited by youvalss; 07-27-2021 at 03:21 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-27-2021, 05:54 PM   #6
Pro

Honestly, the more I have thought about this I believe it is the primarily the NBA's fault that NBA Live has not returned. If you look at 2k's licensing deal with the NBA it is costing them around 1.1 billion over 7 years which would be a little less than 158 million per year. That means just for 2k to break even on the licensing costs they would need to sell over 2.6 million copies of the game at $60 a pop. That is not even considering paying people to actually make the game, then market the game, then distribute the game, then give the console makers and pc stores their cut. It is incredible to think about how much they actually have to sell to break even on the game. Now they make a killing in microtransactions so we know they will still make a ton of money, but what about Live. Or what about another company wanting to make an NBA game without an established market. Live didn't really push microtransactions either so there is just no possible way that they can put out a product that would be profitable. I really believe they were making the game and intended to release one but the NBA just priced them out and that is why now they are having discussions on what to do with their HD basketball product.
I honestly wouldn't mind them just releasing a LIVE RUN game that is a LIVE service built upon THE ONE mode. They could try and replicate that feeling you get going to the courts or your local gym and playing some pickup basketball. They continue to update the game with new animations, move sets, features, apparel, etc. They could build competitive modes from it and then maybe have leagues to replicate and show off different skill levels. Myplayer online modes have become the most popular aspect of 2k and they have basically nothing to do with NBA so it might appeal to a lot of gamers if they can find the right way to market it. This way EA could invest in the actual game and release something with a lot lower risk level than paying the insane licensing fees. I am sure they have already completed a ton of work on the game already so a lot of what it would cost to make the game has already been spent.
Old 07-27-2021, 05:59 PM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by youvalss
Looks like they are making it, but still need to decide if to release it, cancel it, show it in action and then cancel it, or just pretend it never happened. That's a lot to think about, it takes time.

One time I want EA to release a honest trailer for a basketball game with a cancellation notice at the end: "Cancelled on PS5 and XBSS/X this fall! Stay tuned!"

I don't know you can't trust what EA says, they say one thing and do the complete opposite. According to the article the focus seem to be towards NBA Live mobile and not so much in the console and PC space. I could be wrong and also why can't they provide this message on their official Twitter and EA page to give their fans some kind of hope!! People are tired of the constant speculations.

Last edited by Charles Bliss; 07-27-2021 at 06:04 PM.
Old 07-27-2021, 06:55 PM   #8
MVP

noshun's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BQ32
Honestly, the more I have thought about this I believe it is the primarily the NBA's fault that NBA Live has not returned.
Did this guy just say it's the NBA's fault... The mindset of Live fans, blame everyone else but EA. This guy still can't refute any of the points I made. Adam Silvers fault.. Good grief Charlie Brown...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dounte/MLBNFLNBALGS
I'd be the first to call myself a hypocrite.
Current Rotation: -/-
"Just know no matter who you are, the right system could turn a role player to a superstar." - Joe Budden
All Pro Football 2K8 Uniform Codes

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »