Home

***Official Detroit Pistons Thread***

This is a discussion on ***Official Detroit Pistons Thread*** within the NBA Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball > NBA Official Team Threads
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-22-2018, 04:00 AM   #1465
All Star

OVR: 13
Re: ***Official Detroit Pistons Thread***

Gores is rapidly proving himself to be a clueless owner unfit to inherit the sterling legacy Bill Davidson built during his unlikely-to-be-repeated-in-Detroit stewardship of the franchise during his time as owner of the Detroit Pistons.

I suppose we're about to find out how good of a coach Dwane Casey is, but I suspect our results will be marginally better than SVG's. Casey has certainly had more success than SVG in recent years, albeit with a significantly better roster. But I'm suspicious about a guy the Raptors didn't want to continue with despite some pretty good (on paper) teams.

Anyway, it's all sort of irrelevant, because the NBA is all sort of irrelevant. Wherever LeBron goes and the Warriors are the only teams really playing for a title. Everyone else is just filling out 82 nights a year on the schedule.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-23-2018, 11:58 PM   #1466
Hall Of Fame

l3ulvl's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietasterp
Gores is rapidly proving himself to be a clueless owner unfit to inherit the sterling legacy Bill Davidson built during his unlikely-to-be-repeated-in-Detroit stewardship of the franchise during his time as owner of the Detroit Pistons.

I suppose we're about to find out how good of a coach Dwane Casey is, but I suspect our results will be marginally better than SVG's. Casey has certainly had more success than SVG in recent years, albeit with a significantly better roster. But I'm suspicious about a guy the Raptors didn't want to continue with despite some pretty good (on paper) teams.

Anyway, it's all sort of irrelevant, because the NBA is all sort of irrelevant. Wherever LeBron goes and the Warriors are the only teams really playing for a title. Everyone else is just filling out 82 nights a year on the schedule.

Is this in response to the draft?
Old 06-24-2018, 08:52 PM   #1467
All Star

rdnk's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by l3ulvl
It's probably pointed at Gores' process of hiring this offseason, but I could be entirely wrong. Based on where the Pistons were entering the draft, I thought they did perfectly fine getting Khyri Thomas and Bruce Brown. Barring a trade, all we have to look forward to in the offseason now is the Mid-level Exception.
Old 06-25-2018, 12:21 AM   #1468
Hall Of Fame

l3ulvl's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdnk
It's probably pointed at Gores' process of hiring this offseason, but I could be entirely wrong. Based on where the Pistons were entering the draft, I thought they did perfectly fine getting Khyri Thomas and Bruce Brown. Barring a trade, all we have to look forward to in the offseason now is the Mid-level Exception.

The timing threw me off, I figured he was commenting after the draft when I thought we did pretty decent considering the circumstances.

Defend yourself pie
Old 07-30-2018, 09:23 PM   #1469
All Star

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdnk
Quote:
The timing threw me off, I figured he was commenting after the draft when I thought we did pretty decent considering the circumstances.

Defend yourself pie
LOL...Do I need to? I think rdnk pretty much had it right. To expand, Gores appears to have no idea who to put his trust in as far as running the franchise, and as far as I can tell, has no idea how to build a competitive NBA team. Giving SVG the keys to car and the title to the vehicle, as well as paying off the remaining loan (to beat this metaphor to death) was a serious miscalculation that set the franchise back a decade. I suppose the hiring was calculated risk, but at year 3 it seemed pretty clear this thing was headed in the wrong direction, but instead of pulling the plug, he let SVG really drive the nails into the coffin with his final draft picks and personnel moves.

There's no need to go back through all the ways we're screwed for the next 3-4 years (at least), as anyone bothering to read this thread well knows, but we're basically back to where we were before SVG ever got here, except somewhat worse off in the immediate future. Gores has botched the last GM/coach hire, and then he went out and hired a coach without a GM (opposite of the 'traditional' way of doing things...not to mention logical way) which sets up a situation where the GM has a built in excuse (hey, I didn't hire Casey!) and no flexibility to do anything, not to mention a draft with no first round pick this past month. The franchise is completely directionless at this point.

Having said all that...I don't really care. I mean, I've been mostly out on the NBA before, but I'm pretty much completely out now. The NBA has got to be the most pointless pro sports league in the country. Does anyone doubt who will win the title next year? Or who was going to win it this past year? Or the year before? Does anyone not residing in the bay area think their team has a realistic chance to win the title, or even compete? Is there any reason for the vast majority of fan bases in the league to pay any attention to their team at all? By my count, about 27 teams have no real reason to play any games at all this year.

I'm not saying every team should have a chance to win the title every year. But there has to be some hope that if something breaks right for at least 1/2 to 1/3 of the teams, they could make a run. Can anyone honestly say that's true for any team other than maybe the Rockets and maybe the Celtics? And even then...

Anyway, what was I talking about? Oh yeah, the NBA sucks. [/end rant]
Old 08-07-2018, 07:10 PM   #1470
All Star

Tank-a-palooza is officially "on" like Donkey Kong in Detroit with the hiring of an ex-Sam Hinkie disciple:

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/n...-gm/928467002/

The Process: Motown Edition, coming soon to a (near-empty) stadium in the "D"!

See you guys in this thread in 6-7 years, when it will be worth following this team again....
Old 08-08-2018, 05:15 PM   #1471
Hall Of Fame

l3ulvl's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietasterp
Tank-a-palooza is officially "on" like Donkey Kong in Detroit with the hiring of an ex-Sam Hinkie disciple:

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/n...-gm/928467002/

The Process: Motown Edition, coming soon to a (near-empty) stadium in the "D"!

See you guys in this thread in 6-7 years, when it will be worth following this team again....

That's weird, why hire a coach to win now and an assistant GM known for tanking? On the other hand, if he was in the analytics role with the Rockets too, maybe this isn't a bad move
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-09-2018, 10:12 AM   #1472
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18

Decided to stop in here for, like, my fourth time ever and man, it's depressing to read all these posts.

I have my own grievances with this Pistons team. For one, I'm not a fan of Andre Drummond and Reggie Jackson having such a large stake in the success of our franchise. I think they're both capable of being good players but have a lot of knucklehead in them.

That said, I don't think I'm ready to quit the NBA and I don't think it has to be eight years before this team is actually competitive again. I feel like I've been around long enough to know that you never know. That's not to say I'm going to ignore the writing on the wall, but maybe I just haven't entered into as deep a depression over it as some others here may have.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball > NBA Official Team Threads »