Home

Official Boston Celtics Thread

This is a discussion on Official Boston Celtics Thread within the NBA Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball > NBA Official Team Threads
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-20-2020, 07:51 PM   #841
Hall Of Fame

areobee401's Arena

OVR: 24
Re: Official Boston Celtics Thread

I have wanted Hayward gone as early as last season, for what it’s worth. The current skid has done nothing to change those feelings. The only difference between now and then being the looming possibility of Hayward opting in after this year and screwing us for years to come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-21-2020, 02:23 AM   #842
MVP

tonybologna's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremym480
I've missed the last few games because I was traveling last week but just from looking at the stats and viewing some highlights it seems like Hayward has been decent (with the exception of the Bucks game) and is mostly being used as a scapegoat during this losing streak.

Obviously, he should get a lot of heat considering the money and that makes him an easy target but he's been pretty good... not great but solid this year:

I mean, Hayward does deserve a lot of the heat but none of our guys are that consistent or that healthy recently. I think Hayward is the wildcard on the team and if he plays well, they can go far... but everyone else needs to be better, as well. I mean, you can't say Hayward is bad offensively when he's putting up comparable numbers to Brown and Tatum.

Spoiler

With that said, I'm not necessarily opposed to trading Hayward; mainly because I don't like the way he disappears in big games and him opting out with us getting nothing for him concerns me... However, I have yet to see a realistic Hayward trade that makes us better (guys like Drummond or Love ain't it, in my opinion). Until I see a good deal, then I'm more on board with either staying the course and exploring the buyout market or making a small deal to strengthen the bench than I am moving Hayward.

Hopefully, the team can get it back on track tonight against the Lakers and we can put this recent losing skid behind us.
Thanks for posting that information to back my post about Hayward not having bad stats at all. +1 for doing that & great post of yours too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by areobee401
I have wanted Hayward gone as early as last season, for what it’s worth. The current skid has done nothing to change those feelings. The only difference between now and then being the looming possibility of Hayward opting in after this year and screwing us for years to come.

Like Jeremy posted, there are far worse options than Hayward in the NBA. Yes, just like Jeremy posted as well Hayward hasn't lived up to his $30+ million per contract either. Also like Jeremy stated in his post we're more than likely stuck with him through next season because he's not opting out of close to $35 million for 2020-21. I don't see him going anywhere.

I think Hayward's main problem is being inconsistent. Other than that he's having a decent 2019-20 season. Like Jeremy posted his stats aren't that far off from Brown & Smart this season. He's not nowhere near Kemba or Tatum though in overall stats except for rebounding where he should be better than Kemba anyhow.

Tonight was a perfect example of having everybody healthy & showing what we're capable of doing. We just absolutely whipped the #1 team right now in the West by 32 points. We looked like a well-oiled machine. The ball movement tonight was amazing. We play like that & I don't think anybody can beat us except for maybe Milwaukee. Even they would have trouble though with us shooting the ball that well.
NFL- GO COWBOYS
NHL- GO PREDATORS
NASCAR- Chase Elliott
MLS- LA Galaxy

RIP Pat Summitt: We will all miss you!

Jeremiah 29:11

Last edited by tonybologna; 01-21-2020 at 02:34 AM.
Old 01-21-2020, 05:46 PM   #843
Speak it into existence

jeremym480's Arena

OVR: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by areobee401

Yeah, I know you've been wanting him gone but my main thing is for who? I've been seeing people wanting to trade him for guys like Hassan Whiteside, Robert Covington, Aaron Gordon, etc. All of those guys and hell even Drummond are downgrades, in my opinion.. and to be perfectly honest Hayward doesn't have the trade value right now to really get back anyone as good as himself.

Another thing to consider, there is only three teams that have four players scoring more than 16 ppg - Us, the Clippers, and OKC. Hayward is basically our 4th option. If anyone is expecting him to average 20+ ppg then they're going to be disappointed. He does need to be more consistent like he was during the first nine games of the season when he was our most consistent player. If he can get back there, then this team could be really good, if not, we'll have trouble making it out of the 1st Round... but I believe Hayward's play will be the difference between making a good run or going out early.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybologna
Thanks for posting that information to back my post about Hayward not having bad stats at all. +1 for doing that & great post of yours too.

Like Jeremy posted, there are far worse options than Hayward in the NBA. Yes, just like Jeremy posted as well Hayward hasn't lived up to his $30+ million per contract either. Also like Jeremy stated in his post we're more than likely stuck with him through next season because he's not opting out of close to $35 million for 2020-21. I don't see him going anywhere.

I think Hayward's main problem is being inconsistent. Other than that he's having a decent 2019-20 season. Like Jeremy posted his stats aren't that far off from Brown & Smart this season. He's not nowhere near Kemba or Tatum though in overall stats except for rebounding where he should be better than Kemba anyhow.

Tonight was a perfect example of having everybody healthy & showing what we're capable of doing. We just absolutely whipped the #1 team right now in the West by 32 points. We looked like a well-oiled machine. The ball movement tonight was amazing. We play like that & I don't think anybody can beat us except for maybe Milwaukee. Even they would have trouble though with us shooting the ball that well.
After what happened with Horford last year, nothing would surprise me anymore, so I don't think a team giving Hayward a big contract is out of the realm of possibility. I'm hoping that he will opt out then give us a team-friendly discount but I also thought Al would do that too and we know how that worked out.

My main concern (outside of his nagging foot injury) is that if he leaves us for nothing. We just really can't afford that. We need him to play well or we need his contact to get a replacement(s). With Brown's extension hitting next year, then if Hayward leaves, we won't have much money left to spend in free agency and as much as I like them, guys like Grant and Langford just aren't ready to be starters yet. It's going to be interesting to see how it goes but if we trade Hayward now we need young guys or guys with Bird Rights to take his place and I'm just not sure who that is...

Alabama Crimson Tide
Green Bay Packers
Boston Celtics

New Orleans Pelicans
Old 01-25-2020, 03:23 AM   #844
MVP

tonybologna's Arena

If we're @ full strength this team can beat just about any NBA team in a playoff series. I even include the Bucks as well. We just beat the pants off the Lakers the other day which is currently record-wise the 2nd best team. We have already lost twice the to Bucks but we gave them a great game on the road last meeting after being down pretty far in that game.

Tonight as a prime example we beat a decent Orlando team that has been playing really well on the road without both Tatum & Brown by 11 points. Kemba after having really his 1st subpar game last time out with only 8 points exploded with 37 points tonight.

Hayward had a solid all around game with 22 points, 14 rebounds, & 5 assists. Now, we wasn't playing a true contender tonight in Orlando but they have been playing well as of lately.

Gong to be interesting to see how we defend Zion this coming Sunday in NOLA on ESPN @ 6:00 PM EST. I'm even excited myself to get to watch Zion play for the 2nd time this season since his NBA debut this past Wednesday.
NFL- GO COWBOYS
NHL- GO PREDATORS
NASCAR- Chase Elliott
MLS- LA Galaxy

Last edited by tonybologna; 01-25-2020 at 03:25 AM.
Old 01-26-2020, 12:47 AM   #845
All Star

BleacherBum2310's Arena

OVR: 24

I don't think they can beat MIL but they can compete with any of these teams fully healthy. Philly owns them but those games have been really close. So I'd like to avoid them in a playoff series. That's really been the problem with the losses lately Health,not Hayward. Hayward is really solid 3rd-4th guy that attacks mismatches very well and he's a great passer The Duds have been super annoying but he's been really solid. He's not prime utah anymore but I'm personally thrilled with him. But i guess that paints me as an apologist but i'm fine with that.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-26-2020, 01:35 AM   #846
MVP

tonybologna's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleacherBum2310
I don't think they can beat MIL but they can compete with any of these teams fully healthy. Philly owns them but those games have been really close. So I'd like to avoid them in a playoff series. That's really been the problem with the losses lately Health,not Hayward. Hayward is really solid 3rd-4th guy that attacks mismatches very well and he's a great passer The Duds have been super annoying but he's been really solid. He's not prime utah anymore but I'm personally thrilled with him. But i guess that paints me as an apologist but i'm fine with that.
No need for an apology. You were just providing your opinion. I was just one that didn't agree with that opinion & analogy of Hayward. LOL!

I do honestly think we can compete with the Bucks in a playoff series against them. I say this again @ full strength with EVERYONE healthy on the 12 man main NBA roster. We don't stand a chance though even if just one of our main players (mainly starting 5) is missing though.

We honestly could lose to anyone that makes the playoffs with just one of our starting 5 guys not being able to play. We need at least our starting 5 plus Smart healthy to even be able to beat any seed that makes the playoffs.

I know we've lost close games to the 76ers so far this season as well but they haven't been playing well consistently until tonight against the Lakers. The Heat might be the more dangerous team than anybody in the East.

They are going to be a team that nobody wants to face in the playoffs from the Eastern Conference. We could be included in that chat as well as long as we can stay healthy & keep it together.
NFL- GO COWBOYS
NHL- GO PREDATORS
NASCAR- Chase Elliott
MLS- LA Galaxy

Old 02-14-2020, 02:47 PM   #847
MVP

tonybologna's Arena

That game last night just before the All-Star break was the best NBA game that I've watched all season long. Tatum is showing he can be a go-to-guy to close out games. Kemba has been the best overall all season long but lately Tatum has been the guy. Looking forward to the final 28 games to see if we can end up being the #2 seed behind only the Bucks.

They seem to be in a different league/class than anybody else in the NBA so far this season. The Raptors have been red hot but I think they're going to cool off & that should at least allow us a chance @ the #2 seed heading into the playoffs.
NFL- GO COWBOYS
NHL- GO PREDATORS
NASCAR- Chase Elliott
MLS- LA Galaxy

Old 02-18-2020, 10:32 AM   #848
MVP

tonybologna's Arena

I've seen an awful lot of people on the net ask why the Celtics didn't make a trade? Well, to me with a healthy roster we didn't really need to make a trade. Some said we needed to trade for a big man in the frontcourt.

I think the combination of Theis & Kanter @ Center has been working just fine. They are pretty much splitting time at that position. Based on how well each one is playing is determining which one gets the most minutes per game.

Grant Williams is now playing more minutes. It's just taken him a while to get used to his role is @ PF. He's adjusted now & is scoring a bit more & playing solid defense. He's does an extraordinary job guarding the pick & roll.

We just still can't get our core 5 starters all healthy at one time. If it's not Jaylen Brown injured/sick it's Tatum. If it's not Tatum it's Hayward. Very few games have been played with our main 5 starters. Smart has started some games in place of our core 5 but he's now turned into a serious offensive threat. He's playing with so much confidence now.

I call our core 5 players in Tatum, Walker, Brown, Hayward, & now Smart because of his offensive surge this season. Theis and/or Kanter are strictly role players but they've played well in their roles. Let's just hope that doesn't change here after the All-Star break. It appears Tatum has accepted the role in being our main offensive go to guy & has so far in 2020 done a solid job.

Hayward has also started playing better & being a main scorer in closing out games. We really have multiple options for closing out games when we throw in Smart & Brown. It's just they haven't needed to be in that role much because Tatum & Hayward seems to be in those roles for this team through the All-Star break. If needed these 2 players can step up if needed.

I'm pretty confident in what we have so I feel no trade was needed. As long as we can be healthy then this team can make it to at least the Eastern Conference Finals. I would love to think or say we can handle the Bucks but I don't think so in a 7 game series. I do think we can beat them a couple of games though & with some luck could either take them to a Game #7 & again with some luck possibly beat them in 7 games.

We seem to play up to our level of competition. That's what concerns me even more. We could lay an egg in the Opening Round of the playoffs depending on who we end up playing. If we can get fully healthy with our roster then we're going to be one tough out in the playoffs. I honestly think we could end up making it to the Eastern Conference Finals depending on matchups.

We're just a better overall team than everyone in the East except for the Bucks. I say this based on a fully healthy roster. Let's just hope & pray that everyone can stay healthy. A fully healthy roster equals at least a trip to the Eastern Conference Finals.

I would love to see another playoff team upset the Bucks but there's a slim to none chance of that happening. The Bucks are for real & it's not just a Greek Freak based team. He has weapons all around him just like we have multiple weapons as well. Us against the Bucks at full strength would make for one heck of a series.
NFL- GO COWBOYS
NHL- GO PREDATORS
NASCAR- Chase Elliott
MLS- LA Galaxy

Last edited by tonybologna; 02-18-2020 at 10:37 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball > NBA Official Team Threads »