Home

Official Boston Celtics Thread

This is a discussion on Official Boston Celtics Thread within the NBA Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball > NBA Official Team Threads
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-07-2017, 06:02 PM   #401
MVP

tonybologna's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: Official Boston Celtics Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremym480
James Young is playing for New Orleans in Summer League so he's gone.

Nader could be good for depth, but with our wing depth, I don't see him getting any minutes unless something goes horribly wrong.

The more I think about it the more I think that the lineup that areo posted is what we will start the game with. I don't think Crowder will be happy coming off the bench, we need Smart to run the offense when IT goes out and Morris is more seasoned than Brown right now, plus we need his size to start games. To end games though, I think without a doubt the lineup will be IT, Smart, Hayward, Crowder and Horford.

Our depth won't be the most experienced but should be fine with Brown, Tatum, Rozier, Zizic, Yabusele and Theis. I wouldn't mind trying to bring back Gerald Green or Jerebko on a minimum deal or trying to sign a cheap big like Bogut or Speights. There are RFA's that I like better, but I think they're going to end up being too expensive.
Good post. I just seen on ESPN's NBA: The Jump that Boston has renounced the following: Olynyk, Jerebko, Gerald Green, & James Young. Waived Tyler Zeller. Why did we waste signing Zeller to that 3 year deal 2 years ago? It wasn't a cheap deal either.

I believe somewhere around $14-$16 million. He was really never given a chance. He had a decent season 3 years ago & after that we got Amir Johnson & Horford after that & he was nowhere to be seen on the court unless the games were blowouts.

That was a stupid move by Ainge or you could say that Zeller was stupid for taking the deal knowing in the past he wasn't getting that much playing time. I say stupid move by Ainge & not a problem in Zeller taking the deal myself. Now, we're left paying Zeller what he was guaranteed for that contract which should be somewhere in the $4-$5 million range for 2 more years.

If we hadn't done that then we would had no problem in keeping Bradley & not having to free up space to get Hayward. Oh well. We got it done without losing any big time player it appears but like I said I feel like Ainge isn't done dealing yet or making more moves via FA. Thanks.
NFL- GO COWBOYS
NHL- GO PREDATORS
NASCAR- Chase Elliott
MLS- LA Galaxy

RIP Pat Summitt: We will all miss you!

Jeremiah 29:11

Last edited by tonybologna; 07-07-2017 at 06:09 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-07-2017, 07:12 PM   #402
Speak it into existence

jeremym480's Arena

OVR: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybologna
Good post. I just seen on ESPN's NBA: The Jump that Boston has renounced the following: Olynyk, Jerebko, Gerald Green, & James Young. Waived Tyler Zeller. Why did we waste signing Zeller to that 3 year deal 2 years ago? It wasn't a cheap deal either.

I believe somewhere around $14-$16 million. He was really never given a chance. He had a decent season 3 years ago & after that we got Amir Johnson & Horford after that & he was nowhere to be seen on the court unless the games were blowouts.

That was a stupid move by Ainge or you could say that Zeller was stupid for taking the deal knowing in the past he wasn't getting that much playing time. I say stupid move by Ainge & not a problem in Zeller taking the deal myself. Now, we're left paying Zeller what he was guaranteed for that contract which should be somewhere in the $4-$5 million range for 2 more years.

If we hadn't done that then we would had no problem in keeping Bradley & not having to free up space to get Hayward. Oh well. We got it done without losing any big time player it appears but like I said I feel like Ainge isn't done dealing yet or making more moves via FA. Thanks.
Zeller's contract was unguaranteed as long as he was waived before 7/2, which he was, so he had no bearing on losing AB.

The entire reason that Zeller was signed to the contract we was was so they could deal him with one or two their more attractive players since they were on small deals. The only reason he would have been valuable to other teams was because he essentially had an expiring contract.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Operation Sports mobile app

Alabama Crimson Tide
Green Bay Packers
Boston Celtics

New Orleans Pelicans
Old 07-07-2017, 11:50 PM   #403
MVP

tonybologna's Arena

Quote:
Zeller's contract was unguaranteed as long as he was waived before 7/2, which he was, so he had no bearing on losing AB.

The entire reason that Zeller was signed to the contract we was was so they could deal him with one or two their more attractive players since they were on small deals. The only reason he would have been valuable to other teams was because he essentially had an expiring contract.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Operation Sports mobile app
I wasn't aware of the 1st part in bold. I really don't agree so much about the 2nd part in bold though. We didn't have to sign him for something like that. Obviously, it never panned out regardless of the reason for signing him to that type of money for 3 years.
NFL- GO COWBOYS
NHL- GO PREDATORS
NASCAR- Chase Elliott
MLS- LA Galaxy

Old 07-10-2017, 12:05 AM   #404
MVP

tonybologna's Arena

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/1...er-aron-baynes

Do you guys like this move? I guess he can be part of what's probably going to be a pretty bad bench for us in 17-18. Surely we could have gotten a frontcourt player better than him to come off the bench. Oh well.
NFL- GO COWBOYS
NHL- GO PREDATORS
NASCAR- Chase Elliott
MLS- LA Galaxy

Old 07-10-2017, 11:20 AM   #405
Speak it into existence

jeremym480's Arena

OVR: 39

Quote:
I wasn't aware of the 1st part in bold. I really don't agree so much about the 2nd part in bold though. We didn't have to sign him for something like that. Obviously, it never panned out regardless of the reason for signing him to that type of money for 3 years.
Zeller never signed a three-year contract with Boston. When he was traded for he was one his rookie deal. Boston pickup up his option after his first year and extended as a RFA the next year. Last offseason was his first as an unrestricted FA and Boston had extra caproom after striking out on Durant, so they basically gave him a one-year balloon payment above market value and evened it out with a team option. Obviously, a trade never materialized but I believe he was signed as a trade chip first and foremost... and I'm not the only one who thought that not that it matters now anyway.

Quote:
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/1...er-aron-baynes

Do you guys like this move? I guess he can be part of what's probably going to be a pretty bad bench for us in 17-18. Surely we could have gotten a frontcourt player better than him to come off the bench. Oh well.
I love the signing. Baynes is a banger (which we really needed), can knock down 15-16 footers and is an excellent FT shooter. He should really help off of the bench and Baynes signing takes the pressure of off Zizic being asked to contribute from Day 1.

I think our bench will be fine and has the potential to be better than last season. Assuming the starters are IT, Hayward, Crowder, Morris, and Horford. Then are first five off of the bench should be Smart, Brown, Rozier, Tatum, and Baynes. The first three all another year under their belts, so theoretically they should be better. And the last two while they're much different players than the players they're replacing I'd take Tatum and Baynes over Olynyk and Jerebko.

If things remain the same, then the rest of the bench will be extremely inexperienced, however, I think both Yabusele and Zizic can be contributors this season and guys like Ojeleye, Theis, Nader and Jackson will be nice guys to have for depth (assuming all of them are either on the team or have two-way contracts). I wouldn't mind bringing back Gerald Green or signing another vet guard as long as their okay with a bench role.

I'm not sure that there was a better option out there that we could fit in with our contract situation.

Alabama Crimson Tide
Green Bay Packers
Boston Celtics

New Orleans Pelicans
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-10-2017, 11:48 AM   #406
Hall Of Fame

areobee401's Arena

OVR: 24

Like the additions of Morris and Baynes. Should serve as quality replacements for for Johnson, Olynyk and Zeller. What I like most is the physicality both guys bring. Right now my one concern is lack of experience on the roster. Quite a few guys with no NBA experience will see playing time. Though there should be enough veterans to offset it. So I'm not overly concerned about it just yet.
Old 07-10-2017, 04:38 PM   #407
MVP

tonybologna's Arena

Quote:
Zeller never signed a three-year contract with Boston. When he was traded for he was one his rookie deal. Boston pickup up his option after his first year and extended as a RFA the next year. Last offseason was his first as an unrestricted FA and Boston had extra caproom after striking out on Durant, so they basically gave him a one-year balloon payment above market value and evened it out with a team option. Obviously, a trade never materialized but I believe he was signed as a trade chip first and foremost... and I'm not the only one who thought that not that it matters now anyway.

I love the signing. Baynes is a banger (which we really needed), can knock down 15-16 footers and is an excellent FT shooter. He should really help off of the bench and Baynes signing takes the pressure of off Zizic being asked to contribute from Day 1.

I think our bench will be fine and has the potential to be better than last season. Assuming the starters are IT, Hayward, Crowder, Morris, and Horford. Then are first five off of the bench should be Smart, Brown, Rozier, Tatum, and Baynes. The first three all another year under their belts, so theoretically they should be better. And the last two while they're much different players than the players they're replacing I'd take Tatum and Baynes over Olynyk and Jerebko.

If things remain the same, then the rest of the bench will be extremely inexperienced, however, I think both Yabusele and Zizic can be contributors this season and guys like Ojeleye, Theis, Nader and Jackson will be nice guys to have for depth (assuming all of them are either on the team or have two-way contracts). I wouldn't mind bringing back Gerald Green or signing another vet guard as long as their okay with a bench role.

I'm not sure that there was a better option out there that we could fit in with our contract situation.
You might want to check Spotrac on the Zeller signing from last season as a UFA. We did sign him to a 3 year deal. I remember when it went down myself. I was like what the crap are we doing or what the crap is Tyler doing.
NFL- GO COWBOYS
NHL- GO PREDATORS
NASCAR- Chase Elliott
MLS- LA Galaxy

Old 07-10-2017, 04:45 PM   #408
MVP

tonybologna's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by areobee401
Like the additions of Morris and Baynes. Should serve as quality replacements for for Johnson, Olynyk and Zeller. What I like most is the physicality both guys bring. Right now my one concern is lack of experience on the roster. Quite a few guys with no NBA experience will see playing time. Though there should be enough veterans to offset it. So I'm not overly concerned about it just yet.
I don't necessarily dislike the additions of Morris & Baynes but this still doesn't give our bench a punch. We need some bench power to not only give the main 5 starters a rest but to provide when they aren't playing their best.

Really, Brown would be the only one you can say fits that category right now on the roster. Heck, Brown would probably be starting for a lot of teams but he's going to be a bench guy for us for at least the next year or two. Maybe if we ever lose Crowder he would be a starter.

I'd say Ainge might go get one more player & I also think Nader will no doubt make the 12-man roster & be a sub off the bench as well. The 3 other guys will be either overseas or in the D-League or combination of both. Thanks guys.
NFL- GO COWBOYS
NHL- GO PREDATORS
NASCAR- Chase Elliott
MLS- LA Galaxy

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball > NBA Official Team Threads »