Home

Official Boston Celtics Thread

This is a discussion on Official Boston Celtics Thread within the NBA Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball > NBA Official Team Threads
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-16-2019, 04:33 PM   #657
Speak it into existence

jeremym480's Arena

OVR: 39
Re: Official Boston Celtics Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybologna
Jeremy, do you personally think Kyrie will opt-in on that $21.3 million option? I thought his player option was more than that but I was wrong. I was thinking more in the $26-$28 million range.

To me, I just don't see him accepting $21.3 million from that option. He can opt-out & go somewhere else to sign a longer term deal for more money. The Knicks come to mind 1st but I think he would be crazy to go there. What do they have to build around? The 3rd pick in the draft is coming but other than that unless they get Kyrie & some other FA's then he would be going to a team that hasn't made the playoffs in years.

I've already made it known that I want Kyrie back & now with the CAP situation I want him back even more. If he does come back & opt-in then we will be dealing with a totally different situation after the 2019-20 season. In my opinion though unless we get AD in a trade I honestly don't think Kyire will accept his player option.

I think he wants a different look to throw out on the court with him. I don't think it's anything personal either for him against Tatum & Brown. I just think he saw how things transpired this season & just wants a new/fresh look from this team. Other than an AD trade then I see him opting out & going elsewhere though.

Kyrie is 100% opting out of his current deal, opting in isn't even a possibility.

The question is if he will re-sign in Boston or jet to a new team. Boston can pay him more than anyone but the other teams (Knicks, Nets, Clippers) have something that Boston doesn't... cap space... or he could choose to re-up with Lebron in L.A. as well.

If Kyrie goes to any of the above teams you can bet that they're all planning on at least getting AD or KD or both. Kyrie is not going to a team that is worse than what he played on last year so he's not going to a team in a rebuilding situation. The high draft picks of the Knicks and Lakers will be dealt in a heartbeat if they know they have a chance to build a super-team around AD and whoever else.

Ainge will make a play for AD regardless of Kyrie coming back or not, that's how much Ainge wants AD. I think if he can get a deal done on or before draft night (or at least before free agency starts) then there's a good chance Kyrie comes back. If AD goes elsewhere I think Kyrie either follows him or links up with KD in Brooklyn or New York.

Alabama Crimson Tide
Green Bay Packers
Boston Celtics

New Orleans Pelicans
Old 05-17-2019, 10:10 AM   #658
Speak it into existence

jeremym480's Arena

Here's another article discussing our options if Kyrie leaves:

https://www.celticsblog.com/2019/5/1...ba-free-agency

Also, it's the first in a series of articles that will be going over the different ways Boston's offseason could play out.

Alabama Crimson Tide
Green Bay Packers
Boston Celtics

New Orleans Pelicans
Old 05-21-2019, 01:31 AM   #659
MVP

tonybologna's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremym480
Here's another article discussing our options if Kyrie leaves:

https://www.celticsblog.com/2019/5/1...ba-free-agency

Also, it's the first in a series of articles that will be going over the different ways Boston's offseason could play out.
Very nicely put together read & explanation of the "See ya ,Kyrie option". I wouldn't be upset at all with this option myself. This just might bring us back to the 2018 playoff team that we were with Rozier being our starting PG. Like the article stated, Hayward would be the only difference by replacing Morris.

Just seems like this option would make this team a better fit with these particular players together but you just never know. There's only ONE Kyrie! I also liked the mentioning of the possibility of Rozier parting ways & Ricky Rubio being an option @ PG. Rubio is a pass 1st PG & that just might be the type of starting PG we need. Rubio actually improved his shooting this season & had the best 3-pt. shooting season of his career but he knows he would be a player that would only shoot when necessary with this Celtics team or when having wide open shots.

He's better at penetrating & drawing the defense for the pass to the correct open player for a shot. We could get him for that MLE just like the article stated too. Of the 5 players named for that possible MLE to replace Kyrie I would prefer Rubio over the rest. I do not want Rondo back at this point in his career. Isiah Thomas coming back to Boston would be OK but he's not the same player now after the hip injury.

The only other player @ PG from the article I would like to get other than Rubio that we can afford with the MLE would be Darren Collison. But, I would personally rather have Rubio as 1st choice. Very interesting "See ya ,Kyrie option" article & thanks for sharing Jeremy.

Here's the "Welcome to Boston, AD" option article link: https://www.celticsblog.com/2019/5/2...-anthony-davis
NFL- GO COWBOYS
NHL- GO PREDATORS
NASCAR- Chase Elliott
MLS- LA Galaxy

RIP Pat Summitt: We will all miss you!

Jeremiah 29:11
Old 05-21-2019, 09:29 AM   #660
Speak it into existence

jeremym480's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybologna
Very nicely put together read & explanation of the "See ya ,Kyrie option". I wouldn't be upset at all with this option myself. This just might bring us back to the 2018 playoff team that we were with Rozier being our starting PG. Like the article stated, Hayward would be the only difference by replacing Morris.

Just seems like this option would make this team a better fit with these particular players together but you just never know. There's only ONE Kyrie! I also liked the mentioning of the possibility of Rozier parting ways & Ricky Rubio being an option @ PG. Rubio is a pass 1st PG & that just might be the type of starting PG we need. Rubio actually improved his shooting this season & had the best 3-pt. shooting season of his career but he knows he would be a player that would only shoot when necessary with this Celtics team or when having wide open shots.

He's better at penetrating & drawing the defense for the pass to the correct open player for a shot. We could get him for that MLE just like the article stated too. Of the 5 players named for that possible MLE to replace Kyrie I would prefer Rubio over the rest. I do not want Rondo back at this point in his career. Isiah Thomas coming back to Boston would be OK but he's not the same player now after the hip injury.

The only other player @ PG from the article I would like to get other than Rubio that we can afford with the MLE would be Darren Collison. But, I would personally rather have Rubio as 1st choice. Very interesting "See ya ,Kyrie option" article & thanks for sharing Jeremy.

Here's the "Welcome to Boston, AD" option article link: https://www.celticsblog.com/2019/5/2...-anthony-davis

Kyrie and AD is may initial want but I'm not going to be too upset if Kyrie leaves. Disappointed probably but Kyrie at these numbers does scare me:

· 2019-20 - $32.7 million
· 2020-21 - $35.3 million
· 2021-22 - $37.9 million
· 2022-23 - $40.5 million
· 2023-24 - $43.2 million (player option)
· Total – 5 years/$189.7 million

If Kyrie leaves, then I think that Rubio would be a great option as a "fill in the gap" kind of a guy. He's a pass first, team player who will keep everyone involved. If Rubio isn't possible, then I'd probably even give Rozier a second chance. He's pretty much the exact opposite of Rubio and sure he sucked last season but maybe as a starter he'll get back to his old self.

As far as IT and Rondo I would love to see either one back in green. Rondo would be great as Kyrie's backup, especially if AD comes (him and AD had great chemistry in 17/18). I'm not sure how Rondo would fit in Stevens' offense (even though he's played in it before but we're a much different team now). However, Rondo is like having another coach on the floor and if anyone can keep the young guys in check I think it's Rondo. I'd love "the little guy" back in green more than anything. However, I think that at least initially I'd ask him to be more of a third PG on a minimum deal, then see if he can eventually get back to form. If he does I think he would be great as a 6th-man and closing games.

Here's a look at the "Run it back" option: https://www.celticsblog.com/2019/5/1...9-kyrie-irving

Rozier would be gone which I think would be addition by subtraction. I'm not sure they would want to go that deep into the luxury tax, unless they really thought this team would be a championship contender so in my opinion Morris might be gone under this scenario, as well. We may end up in the situation that we were in a few years ago, where a lot of rookies were asked to play big minutes. If the team gets back to playing hard and having fun, then I'm all for it.

Alabama Crimson Tide
Green Bay Packers
Boston Celtics

New Orleans Pelicans
Old 05-21-2019, 11:42 AM   #661
Hall Of Fame

areobee401's Arena

OVR: 24

And now time for my personal favorite.

The “Nuclear Summer” option:

https://www.celticsblog.com/2019/5/2...source=twitter
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-21-2019, 12:00 PM   #662
Speak it into existence

jeremym480's Arena

I could probably get down with that... but I'd still prefer to get Big Al at a discounted rate. If Kyrie is leaving then I hope Danny goes the "the dogs" route and gives us a team full of fighters and underdogs. I don't know if we have enough space but get Rondo, Crowder and hell even Jerebko back. Then hopefully Baynes will sign his player option (we need a big body down low and I don't think Williams is ready just yet). Just go out there and get after it night in and night out. Would Boston be a title contender? Probably not but I bet they would be fun to watch.

Alabama Crimson Tide
Green Bay Packers
Boston Celtics

New Orleans Pelicans
Old 05-21-2019, 03:40 PM   #663
MVP

tonybologna's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremym480
Kyrie and AD is may initial want but I'm not going to be too upset if Kyrie leaves. Disappointed probably but Kyrie at these numbers does scare me:

· 2019-20 - $32.7 million
· 2020-21 - $35.3 million
· 2021-22 - $37.9 million
· 2022-23 - $40.5 million
· 2023-24 - $43.2 million (player option)
· Total – 5 years/$189.7 million

If Kyrie leaves, then I think that Rubio would be a great option as a "fill in the gap" kind of a guy. He's a pass first, team player who will keep everyone involved. If Rubio isn't possible, then I'd probably even give Rozier a second chance. He's pretty much the exact opposite of Rubio and sure he sucked last season but maybe as a starter he'll get back to his old self.

As far as IT and Rondo I would love to see either one back in green. Rondo would be great as Kyrie's backup, especially if AD comes (him and AD had great chemistry in 17/18). I'm not sure how Rondo would fit in Stevens' offense (even though he's played in it before but we're a much different team now). However, Rondo is like having another coach on the floor and if anyone can keep the young guys in check I think it's Rondo. I'd love "the little guy" back in green more than anything. However, I think that at least initially I'd ask him to be more of a third PG on a minimum deal, then see if he can eventually get back to form. If he does I think he would be great as a 6th-man and closing games.

Here's a look at the "Run it back" option: https://www.celticsblog.com/2019/5/1...9-kyrie-irving

Rozier would be gone which I think would be addition by subtraction. I'm not sure they would want to go that deep into the luxury tax, unless they really thought this team would be a championship contender so in my opinion Morris might be gone under this scenario, as well. We may end up in the situation that we were in a few years ago, where a lot of rookies were asked to play big minutes. If the team gets back to playing hard and having fun, then I'm all for it.
I was thinking more along the lines of not wanting either Rondo or IT back in the scenario of having Kyrie back but this was chat about the "See ya ,Kyrie option". I'm just not really interested in getting Rondo back at all myself. You are right in that he could help some of the younger guys but other than that he just isn't worth the money anymore. IT I would take over Rondo. I'm just concerned about his hip & knees at this point in his career.

If he can just get semi-healthy then I would take him over Rondo. However, in my opinion, neither Rondo or IT are starting PG's anymore. That's why I say go get Ricky Rubio or Darren Collison instead. Rubio is my preferred choice. I WOULD accept either Rondo or IT as a backup PG to either Kyrie coming back or him leaving & we sign Rubio or Collison. We also have to factor is what we do with our draft picks. Do we draft a PG with the #14 pick IF we don't trade that away for AD?

I think that depends on whether Kyrie tells us he's going to stay or not. He leaves & we would probably entertain or consider taking a PG with that #14 pick. Again, that's if this pick along with the rest of the picks we have aren't traded away for AD. We could even get a decent PG @ #20 or #22 pick as well. Probably not a starting PG right away with any of those picks except for #14 but possibly one in a couple of years. In the case that we do keep all of these draft picks & Kyrie leaves then we have to make a push for Rubio, Collison, IT, or Rondo to come aboard.

I would guess other than getting Rubio of these 4 then Rozier would start & either Rondo or IT would be the backup PG. Rondo as a backup would probably see a few more minutes per game than IT because of his injury woes. IT on the team instead of Rondo would probably place Smart in the backup PG role & IT with select few minutes at least until he could show he can still have some flashes.

Not too much of a backer of this "Nuclear Summer" option. Too much starting over but having Tatum & Brown to build around. This would be my least likeable option of the 4 articles posted thus far. I would rank them like this for me after 4 of them:

1. Welcome to Boston, AD
2. Run it back option
3. See ya, Kyrie option
4. Nuclear Summer option
NFL- GO COWBOYS
NHL- GO PREDATORS
NASCAR- Chase Elliott
MLS- LA Galaxy

RIP Pat Summitt: We will all miss you!

Jeremiah 29:11

Last edited by tonybologna; 05-21-2019 at 03:44 PM.
Old 05-22-2019, 10:21 AM   #664
Speak it into existence

jeremym480's Arena

I'm been listened to Bill Simmons podcast about Kyrie leaving yesterday and him and his dad did make some good points about Kyrie causing too much damage last season. I'm starting to sway over to just letting him go a bit. However, I still think that my first choice would be to have him back with either AD or a S&T for KD (or both even though I think there's only a .0001% chance of that happening). However, if that doesn't happen then I think I'd prefer "See you, Kyrie" over "Running it back". Check with me tomorrow and I made have already changed my mind again.

Anyway, here's some key dates coming up: https://www.celticsblog.com/2019/5/9...ba-free-agency

Thursday June 13th - Player Option deadlines for Kyrie Irving and Aron Baynes
Tuesday June 18th - Player Option deadline for Al Horford
Thursday June 20th - 2019 NBA Draft
Sunday June 30th- Qualifying Offer deadline for Terry Rozier, Daniel Thies, Brad Wanamaker, and Jonathan Gibson
Monday July 1st - Semi Ojeleye's contract becomes fully guaranteed
Monday July 1st - 2019-20 league year begins and free agency opens

Alabama Crimson Tide
Green Bay Packers
Boston Celtics

New Orleans Pelicans

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball > NBA Official Team Threads »