Home

Official Boston Celtics Thread

This is a discussion on Official Boston Celtics Thread within the NBA Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball > NBA Official Team Threads
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-03-2019, 04:48 PM   #609
MVP

tonybologna's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: Official Boston Celtics Thread

With the victory today here on Super Bowl Sunday we have now moved into 3rd place in the Eastern Conference. I posted a few weeks ago if we would get things together & play the way we're capable of playing that we could get up to that 3rd spot. I just don't think we're going to move up any farther into the Eastern Conference standings though. I think it's the Bucks & Raptors #1 & #2 respectively.

I do think the Raptors can end up being the #1 seed in the East though but it's going to be tough for them to do so with the way the Bucks are clicking & have been for a long while now. The 3-way combo of the Greek Freak, Middleton, & Brogdon are playing just as well as any other 3-way combination in the league including the Warriors Big 3. Add to that Eric Bledsoe, Tony Snell, & Brook Lopez' play & this Bucks team is going to be tough to beat in a playoff series regardless of venue.

The good thing we can now say though is that we're finally starting to play like we were expected to do so. There is one caveat to that though. Gordon Hayward. He's just not been able to get his game going consistently. I'm beginning to wonder how much the serious injury from last season has really affected his game now. He really doesn't seem like the same player that he was in Utah.

He isn't shooting nowhere like he's capable & he's also hesitate quite a bit to take the ball to the rim. If he was to get his game going then we are no doubt going to be able to play with & possibly beat both the Bucks & Raptors come playoff time. GO CELTICS!
NFL- GO COWBOYS
NHL- GO PREDATORS
NASCAR- Chase Elliott
MLS- LA Galaxy

RIP Pat Summitt: We will all miss you!

Jeremiah 29:11

Last edited by tonybologna; 02-03-2019 at 04:51 PM.
Old 02-06-2019, 03:52 AM   #610
MVP

tonybologna's Arena

With the win over the Cavs we have now officially moved into 3rd place in the Eastern Conference. We are to my surprise now only 3.5 GB of the Raptors for 2nd place in the East. A month or so ago I didn't think we would even have a chance to catch either the Raptors or Bucks in the Eastern Conference.

It's certainly not out of the question for us to make a run at catching both the Raptors & Bucks to take the #1 seed in the East. We are playing like a true team now & the lineup changes that Coach Brad Stevens has made has been the difference. I really don't expect for us to make any trades here at the trade deadline either. If we do it will be strictly for a role player off the bench.

I could see us signing or trading for a big man due to the injury concerns about Baynes but it's not going to be for a star player or even an above average player. We just might need another PF or C to come off the bench now with Baynes out & to spell both Horford & Theis for some rest.

Williams has been starting to come around though lately in his few minutes being given on the court in recent games so we might not decide to do anything & use him more as that type of player in the off the bench role. He's a great rim protector & solid rebounder. He's just lacking in his offensive skills right now but he can certainly help this team in what has been a somewhat down season on the defensive side of the ball. GO MEAN GREEN!
NFL- GO COWBOYS
NHL- GO PREDATORS
NASCAR- Chase Elliott
MLS- LA Galaxy

Old 02-21-2019, 10:57 PM   #611
MVP

tonybologna's Arena

Just another tough loss tonight coming out of the All-Star break. Losing by 1 @ Milwaukee(97-98) who is right now the best team in the East shows we're capable of beating the top teams in the East. The refs I feel gave this one away because on the in bounds play at the end of the game Kyrie was absolutely mugged before the ball was passed in bound by Smart to Kyrie.

Kyrie was forced to take a tough runner in the lane with The Greek Freak & Lopez both trying to block his shot. If the refs would have done their jobs & called the foul that was committed on Kyrie before the ball was passed in then it would have been one FT & then the ball. We would have at least been looking @ OT if not a win in regulation.

Refs just don't like to make those foul calls at any point in a game before the ball is inbounded. However, it has to be called when a player is absolutely mugged trying to get open to get the ball. Refs can't let that stuff go. It's a foul period! Touchy stuff should be allowed but when a player is literally knocked off total balance or falls to the court from contact a foul must be called in those situations.

Milwaukee got some home cooking with the win tonight. We played the best defensive game that I've seen in a while. We didn't shoot the ball well but I am encouraged by the defense I saw plus we did this without Hayward playing tonight because of a sore ankle. We're now back to 5th place in the East. 1 GB of the 76ers. We're only 2 GB of the Pacers though for 3rd place.

The 76ers with the trade deadline deals might have just provided them the ability to beat us out for that 3rd spot in the East. I don't think the Pacers with Oladipo out for the rest of the season will end up being a factor for the top 4 spots in the East. I see them end up finishing either 5th or 6th. We really need to be no lower than 4th place by seasons end so we can have home court advantage for at least the 1st Round of the playoffs.

I would like to get up to that 3rd spot though because if we were to finish 4th & advance in the 1st Round of the playoffs then we're going to probably be looking at the Bucks with no home court advantage which will be really tough. We have just got to continue grinding but after 59 games now we just haven't clicked as a team. We certainly can still go on one of those hot streaks though & build/give us some confidence towards the postseason. GO CELTICS!
NFL- GO COWBOYS
NHL- GO PREDATORS
NASCAR- Chase Elliott
MLS- LA Galaxy

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-22-2019, 09:43 AM   #612
Speak it into existence

jeremym480's Arena

OVR: 39

Honestly, as long as the Celtics can stay healthy then I'm not picking them to lose against anyone in the East. The Bucks and Raptors have really good teams (I'm not that worried at all about Philly until they can prove that they can beat us) but if we can finally start clicking then I like our depth better than what they have. Especially, now that Hayward and Brown are playing much better. Getting Baynes back is going to be key as well because our defense is so much better with him on the court. If we're healthy and "Playoff Al" comes out this year, plus Tatum starts being a little more aggressive ( and stops shooting so many long 2's) then this team is going to be really tough.

My only worry is that the C's have their toughest part of the schedule coming up and every time they lose a few games in a row or close together they seem to implode a bit. I'm hoping that that doesn't happen or if it does that they bottle it up internally. I'm tired of seeing all of these comments being made public. They need to keep and settle that in-house instead of through the media.

With that said, if they can survive this upcoming stretch, then their last 10-15 or so games shouldn't be that difficult (with the exception of a 2-3 games). I'm hoping they can get through this stretch without completely falling apart, then pickup some momentum before the playoffs. I'd love to get that 3rd seed but I don't think there's that much difference between the Bucks and Raptors so I'm not sure it's going to matter that much.

Alabama Crimson Tide
Green Bay Packers
Boston Celtics

New Orleans Pelicans
Old 02-22-2019, 02:54 PM   #613
MVP

tonybologna's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremym480
Honestly, as long as the Celtics can stay healthy then I'm not picking them to lose against anyone in the East. The Bucks and Raptors have really good teams (I'm not that worried at all about Philly until they can prove that they can beat us) but if we can finally start clicking then I like our depth better than what they have. Especially, now that Hayward and Brown are playing much better. Getting Baynes back is going to be key as well because our defense is so much better with him on the court. If we're healthy and "Playoff Al" comes out this year, plus Tatum starts being a little more aggressive ( and stops shooting so many long 2's) then this team is going to be really tough.

My only worry is that the C's have their toughest part of the schedule coming up and every time they lose a few games in a row or close together they seem to implode a bit. I'm hoping that that doesn't happen or if it does that they bottle it up internally. I'm tired of seeing all of these comments being made public. They need to keep and settle that in-house instead of through the media.

With that said, if they can survive this upcoming stretch, then their last 10-15 or so games shouldn't be that difficult (with the exception of a 2-3 games). I'm hoping they can get through this stretch without completely falling apart, then pickup some momentum before the playoffs. I'd love to get that 3rd seed but I don't think there's that much difference between the Bucks and Raptors so I'm not sure it's going to matter that much.
I agree with you on your post Jeremy. What I don't want to happen though is for us to not make the top 4 in the East. I think we need home court advantage for at least the 1st Round of the playoffs. Like I said though, I just don't see the Pacers beating us out for a top 4 spot.

The top 2 teams in the East are pretty much set it's just a matter of who is #1 & #2. Spots #3-#5 are really up for grabs still between us, the 76ers, & Pacers. Spots #6-#8 are still also up for grabs.

I just want to get into that top 4 so whoever we get in that 1st Round will be @ home. I think after that we are capable of building momentum & winning series on the road if needed. That's if we are playing our A game. We have only seen this teams A game being very spotty so far this season.
NFL- GO COWBOYS
NHL- GO PREDATORS
NASCAR- Chase Elliott
MLS- LA Galaxy

Old 02-22-2019, 10:03 PM   #614
MVP

tonybologna's Arena

I told you guys the Celtics were victims of some home cooking in the loss @ Milwaukee: http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...n-celtics-game
NFL- GO COWBOYS
NHL- GO PREDATORS
NASCAR- Chase Elliott
MLS- LA Galaxy

Old 02-28-2019, 04:43 PM   #615
MVP

tonybologna's Arena

We've lost 4 games in a row now when I thought coming out of the All-Star break we would put together a run. There's something not right with this very talented team. We were a better team last season in the playoffs with Kyrie out injured & without Hayward too. I think personally the players just don't know their roles & what to do playing alongside Kyrie.

Kyrie is a great player without a doubt but for some reason just about everybody else on this team just aren't playing their best. The defense has been playing better as of late but now our offense is struggling. Kyrie is not struggling scoring & playing on the offensive end but other than Morris, Tatum, & Brown everybody else is just flat.

Smart has had some decent offensive games but that's not what we expect out of him but he's even said that he's feeling the pressure to score more now because of their losing. Brad Stevens doesn't even know what to do & he's feeling the pressure himself.

This team was expected to be in the Finals against the Warriors but this team except for that 8-game winning streak back early in the season hasn't even shown they can make it past the 1st Round of the playoffs.

I just hope that we can get hot & end up ahead of the 76ers for that 3rd spot. We don't want to be 4th or 5th but especially 5th because we wouldn't have home court advantage in the opening round of the playoffs. Plus, being 4th or 5th even if we win the 1st Round then we are faced with the daunting task of beating either the Bucks or Raptors on the road in the next round which nothing so far this season indicates we can do.
NFL- GO COWBOYS
NHL- GO PREDATORS
NASCAR- Chase Elliott
MLS- LA Galaxy

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-03-2019, 07:07 PM   #616
MVP

tonybologna's Arena

Unhappy Re: Official Boston Celtics Thread

This Celtics team just aren't together. You can see the frustration just growing & growing on their faces. Kyrie is showing it more than any other player but they ALL are looking down. I just don't see us making a run now. We are going to probably end up either 4th or 5th in the Eastern Conference. Of course, us Celtics fans would prefer the 4th spot to have home court advantage in the opening round of the playoffs.

To me though, I don't even think we will make it past the 2nd Round of the playoffs if we were to win the opening round matchup. 2 reasons for this. One is we would be playing either the Bucks or Raptors. Secondly, we just don't show no urgency or care to now to be a contending team.

It's a shame because coming into this season we were the favorites to be in the NBA Finals against the Warriors. It hasn't worked out with Hayward. I don't know what's going on there but Hayward now looks like a washed up player after coming to Boston from Utah as a star player. I know he was seriously injured last season but he's showing no signs of that leg injury even remotely bothering him. Something just isn't right & I believe it has to do with his role on the team just like so many other players. Stevens hasn't been able to use all this talent in the right way in 2018-19.

Could we get it together & make a Finals run? Sure we can because of the talent we have but it's not looking likely at all. We were a better team last season in the playoffs with Kyrie injured & Rozier being our starting PG. Makes no sense really because Kyrie is doing all he can & more. Rozier has been the one that's struggled off the bench. He will have a good game every once in a while but nothing consistent.

If we don't start getting more out of both Hayward & Rozier then this team is done as far as making a Finals run. Horford has picked up his scoring & overall play the last 8-10 games as well as Jaylen Brown but for us to make a serious run we are going to need Hayward & Rozier off the bench to provide much more than they have thus far this season.

The 76ers with what they did at the Trade Deadline has definitely surpassed us. We are only 2.5 GB of them for 4th place in the East & 3 GB of the Pacers for 3rd but the 76ers have the better team now it appears over us & the Pacers. I expect the 76ers to end up as the #3 seed. We will be fighting with the Pacers for that 4th spot.
NFL- GO COWBOYS
NHL- GO PREDATORS
NASCAR- Chase Elliott
MLS- LA Galaxy

Last edited by tonybologna; 03-03-2019 at 07:10 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball > NBA Official Team Threads »