Home

The 2017 New York Knicks: Can we please stay healthy?

This is a discussion on The 2017 New York Knicks: Can we please stay healthy? within the NBA Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball > NBA Official Team Threads
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-10-2016, 01:26 PM   #9
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44
Re: The 2017 New York Knicks: Can we please stay healthy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeastbumrush
A Knicks player last year (forgot who it was) said that opposing teams knew what they were going to do on offense.
Every team knows every team's offense though, I don't think that's a big deal. Every opposing team in the 90s knew what the Bulls were going to do and everyone knew what the aught Lakers were going to do. The Triangle is also a lot of read-and-react so even if the D "knows" what you're doing there should be a proper choice.

The biggest problem as we all know is that the Triangle is square peg in the round hole of today's NBA (unintentional shape joke). There's no reason to run it and we'll get more out of this roster with a drive-and-kick/PnR heavy attack. Jennings & Rose might be the two worst fits for the Triangle in the entire NBA.

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet

Last edited by ehh; 10-10-2016 at 01:31 PM.
Old 10-11-2016, 12:37 PM   #10
We Here

Hassan Darkside's Arena

OVR: 34

Hornacek did say Phil's been hands-off and he's still going to try to get buckets early in the offense, but will use the triangle as a fallback option.

But yeah, as ehh said, the triangle should present the ballhandler with a ton of different choices. With our constant roster/coach turnover and lack of guys familiar with the offense, we end up with this watered down, highly structured and predictable triangle motion on offense where players are more concerned with going to spots than reacting to what's in front of them. The triangle still exists in diet form in other offenses in the league which is what I hope Hornacek does with it.

BBallBreakdown: The Triangle Offense is Alive and Well in the NBA
Royce da 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican
How many brothers fell victim to the skeet.........
Old 10-11-2016, 12:47 PM   #11
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

OVR: 46

Yeah that's the problem with the Knicks triangle. It's predictable because the players on the roster always do the same predictable thing.

My problem with Jackson's comments despite me agreeing with him that certain necessay fundamentals are not a focus of development at youth levels is that he picked these players.

So why is he signing or trading for guys that lack the fundamentals. It's like he wants everyone to ignore that aspect. If he wants guys that have the fundamentals to run the triangle, get guys that have them.

Otherwise, it's his fault the team has players that can't run the triangle.
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-11-2016, 01:25 PM   #12
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

Kristaps with all these wild crossovers.

He's gonna be unfair if he masters it.

Old 10-11-2016, 02:07 PM   #13
We Here

Hassan Darkside's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMH
Yeah that's the problem with the Knicks triangle. It's predictable because the players on the roster always do the same predictable thing.

My problem with Jackson's comments despite me agreeing with him that certain necessay fundamentals are not a focus of development at youth levels is that he picked these players.

So why is he signing or trading for guys that lack the fundamentals. It's like he wants everyone to ignore that aspect. If he wants guys that have the fundamentals to run the triangle, get guys that have them.

Otherwise, it's his fault the team has players that can't run the triangle.
I think you kind of answered your own question. It's almost either guys like Brandon Jennings, DRose, Derrick Williams, etc or guys like Sasha Vujacic, Lou Almundson, Jose Calderon. He does seem to lean toward 3-4 year college players and international players when he can get them but there aren't a lot of obtainable players that check both boxes. So we have to roll the dice I guess.

I think we have a good conglomerate of guys with solid basketball IQs, potential, athleticism, and experience with this squad. Guys like Kristaps and Willy "his-name-is-spelled-Willy-but-pronounced-Billy" Hernangomez are young but already flashing solid fundamentals and unselfishness. Guys like Rose and Jennings I expect will take some time.
Royce da 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican
How many brothers fell victim to the skeet.........
Old 10-11-2016, 06:12 PM   #14
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hassan Darkside
I think you kind of answered your own question. It's almost either guys like Brandon Jennings, DRose, Derrick Williams, etc or guys like Sasha Vujacic, Lou Almundson, Jose Calderon. He does seem to lean toward 3-4 year college players and international players when he can get them but there aren't a lot of obtainable players that check both boxes. So we have to roll the dice I guess.

I think we have a good conglomerate of guys with solid basketball IQs, potential, athleticism, and experience with this squad. Guys like Kristaps and Willy "his-name-is-spelled-Willy-but-pronounced-Billy" Hernangomez are young but already flashing solid fundamentals and unselfishness. Guys like Rose and Jennings I expect will take some time.
This I get, and I agree.

But Jackson said the guys on the roster can't run the triangle because they haven't learned the fundamentals of playing basketball.

It's a weird thing to say. He picked those players.
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer
Old 10-12-2016, 03:35 PM   #15
My Momma's Son

bigeastbumrush's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMH
This I get, and I agree.

But Jackson said the guys on the roster can't run the triangle because they haven't learned the fundamentals of playing basketball.

It's a weird thing to say. He picked those players.
That's just a crock.

You have good players and you have bad players. Learning fundamentals doesn't make you a good player. Maybe it helps maximize your abilities. But that's about it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-21-2016, 03:10 PM   #16
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

Quote:
The Knicks decided to keep Ron Baker on the roster, waiving Lou Amundson, Chasson Randle, JP Tokoto and Cleanthony Early to make room for the combo guard . These cuts also signify that big man Marshall Plumlee and forward Maurice Ndour have made the roster. NYK opting to swallow the guaranteed money they paid Amundson to keep Baker is a sign of their commitment to guard depth.
Interesting that Baker made it, he's looked decent in the preseason though he'll be a major liability on D. Same with Ndour, I probably would have preferred to keep Randle for more guard depth. Our front court has plenty of depth and Ndour hasn't shown much outside of being an active/athletic player.

Nothing personal against Lou but he had no business being on this team the last couple years. Glad we've moved on.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball > NBA Official Team Threads »