Home

The 2017 New York Knicks: Can we please stay healthy?

This is a discussion on The 2017 New York Knicks: Can we please stay healthy? within the NBA Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball > NBA Official Team Threads
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-27-2016, 06:23 PM   #33
MVP

OVR: 11
Re: The 2017 New York Knicks: Can we please stay healthy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieHardYankee26
Itll be interesting to see adjustments made in the season, players are already ****ting on the triangle, took D Rose exactly one game.
I read Rose's quotes, and he's right.

I'm fed up with Phil Jackson's stubborness with this stupid triangle. That's why Pat Riley ***** on him when it comes to coaching. Pat adjusted his system to the talent he had, but not Phil. He's going to fit square pegs into round holes just to prove to everyone how smart he is.
Old 10-27-2016, 11:51 PM   #34
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44

It does drive me crazy how easy we get pick-n-pop looks for Porzingis. That should be run 15-20 times a game. Seems like we go to maybe once a quarter. That should be our primary secondary break action.

Rambis & Fisher didn't utilize it enough last year, which made more sense since Lopez was on the team and Porzingis didn't spend much time at the 5. We're only one game into this season and I have faith that Hornaceck will phase out the triangle pretty quickly.

The whole situation is absurd, never in my life have I heard of the friggin front office dictating what systems should be run on the court. It's idiotic. The quotes from the preseason from Hornacek and Phil were so vague that I don't know if Phil actually wants the Triangle run or not. I see no reason why Hornacek would choose to run it himself.

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet
Old 10-28-2016, 06:46 AM   #35
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

OVR: 46

What makes it really odd to me is Horny was the first coach under Jackson to explicitly say they won't be running too much triangle.

But I definitely saw a lot of attempts at it Tuesday night.

Now the Knicks were running more. And they barely looked capable of running a simple screen let alone the triangle so maybe some improvement will show Saturday night.
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer

Last edited by CMH; 10-28-2016 at 06:57 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-28-2016, 08:57 AM   #36
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
It does drive me crazy how easy we get pick-n-pop looks for Porzingis. That should be run 15-20 times a game. Seems like we go to maybe once a quarter. That should be our primary secondary break action.

.....and there it is - thank you!
Old 10-28-2016, 01:02 PM   #37
BING BONG

DieHardYankee26's Arena

OVR: 10

Is there like a YouTube video that explains the triangle sets? I've gotta be missing something, why can't we run pick and rolls out of a base triangle? Can we not just set up Melo, Lee, and Noah on one side and then swing to D Rose and Porzingis doing a 2 man game on the other side? Is the triangle so rigid that it controls where the ball goes instead of the players?
I can't hide who I am, baby I'm a gangster
In the Rolls Royce, steppin' on a mink rug
The clique just a gang of bosses that linked up
Old 10-28-2016, 02:08 PM   #38
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieHardYankee26
Is there like a YouTube video that explains the triangle sets? I've gotta be missing something, why can't we run pick and rolls out of a base triangle? Can we not just set up Melo, Lee, and Noah on one side and then swing to D Rose and Porzingis doing a 2 man game on the other side? Is the triangle so rigid that it controls where the ball goes instead of the players?
There are plenty of YT vids and it'll take far too much time to give you a proper in-depth answer but here's the jist of it...

It's a system for a bygone era of the NBA. The Triangle was actually lauded for it's ball & player movement and read-n-react philosophy during the isolation-heavy days of the 90s. Think of it as the 90s version of what GSW and SAS run today. It had more cutting and movement and options than most of its contemporary systems.

Despite its positive reputation in the 90s, relative to today's game it incorporates a lot of isolations and does not heavily use today's two biggest weapons - PnR and 3PT shooting. Yes, there are PnR options in the Triangle but not nearly enough for today's league (esp now that we have to PnR PGs in Rose & Jennings). The Triangle also tends to slow down the pace - although MJs Bulls were a running and pressing team at times the Triangle was extremely useful in those grind-it-out, halfcourt slugfests in the playoffs. They could play well at any pace.

The Triangle was great when the game was more physical, when it was more difficult to get into the paint, when there were less shooters and the floor wasn't as spaced. It also helped when you had MJ, Pippen, Shaq and Kobe running it.

Any current team that doesn't run a substantial amount of PnR is insane. It's so friggin' easy compared to previous eras. The rule changes were designed to make the game this way. To fight upstream in the name of ego, pride, Zen or pure stubbornness is remarkably stupid.

Factor in that it doesn't fit stylistically with a majority of our roster (Noah is a good fit) or most modern day players, there's a lot of a square peg, round hole going on.

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet

Last edited by ehh; 10-28-2016 at 02:10 PM.
Old 10-28-2016, 02:34 PM   #39
BING BONG

DieHardYankee26's Arena

OVR: 10

Yeah what I want is essentially the part of the triangle that exists that doesn't dictate where the ball goes at all times, but I still think it could help with movement and teaching guys where to be, it seems like we have an issue with guys just standing around watching whoever has the ball, I assume the reasoning behind it is to get the ball out of Melo's hands almost by force (get the ball, make your read, make your move) but I've come to the realization that nothing will help us there. I'm so sick of watching guys go to work for 10 seconds to throw up an ill advised shot, that was my initial problem with the triangle but I figured if it promotes mid range shots maybe we could just expand it and add more spacing.

At this point, the things that need to be fixed won't be. Phil isn't going anywhere so if he wants the triangle run and Hornacek can't decide for himself the system, it'll be just more of the same. I'm sick of blaming Phil, I'm skipping over him. If this **** is happening then it's Dolan's fault for allowing it or Hornacek's fault for being a ****ing puppet. This is so aggravating. I don't want to ever hear the word triangle again.
I can't hide who I am, baby I'm a gangster
In the Rolls Royce, steppin' on a mink rug
The clique just a gang of bosses that linked up
Old 10-28-2016, 02:38 PM   #40
MVP

OVR: 6

I think no matter what Dolan shares a lot of the blame and should

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball > NBA Official Team Threads »