Home

Recruiting Strategy Guide?

This is a discussion on Recruiting Strategy Guide? within the NCAA Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games > NCAA Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-28-2009, 03:17 PM   #1
MVP

jkra0512's Arena

OVR: 31
Recruiting Strategy Guide?

Would anyone be interested in a Recruiting Guide for this game? I figured I would try to write one since there are so many questions about recruiting with this game. If anyone wants to help, PM me.

I'll post this in my blog on OS here and anyone who helps me will obviously receive credit.

I will only do this if there is interest, otherwise I won't waste my time.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-28-2009, 06:02 PM   #2
Pro

Syphon2399's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Recruiting Strategy Guide?

I would love to have a guide to the recruting process. Just picked this up a few days ago, and after trying to figure out the recruting, decided to hold off on the dynasty until I figure it out.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:20 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkra0512
Would anyone be interested in a Recruiting Guide for this game? I figured I would try to write one since there are so many questions about recruiting with this game. If anyone wants to help, PM me.

I'll post this in my blog on OS here and anyone who helps me will obviously receive credit.

I will only do this if there is interest, otherwise I won't waste my time.
I would love to see a recruiting guide. I am new to this series and there is so much to do with regards to recruiting. As I am learning, internet searches play a big role in the process.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:03 AM   #4
MVP

K_rob11's Arena

OVR: 21

I'd love to see your recruiting guide jkra!

It would be cool to have a strategy thread like there is in the CH2k8 board. I know this game isn't as deep as that CH, but I think it would still be useful for those of us who do have this game. Plus, stuff like that is always just fun to read.

Go for it!
Old 12-29-2009, 11:54 AM   #5
MVP

jkra0512's Arena

Its looking more and more like I'm going to do this. I will do my best to get this out by the middle of next week. I'm out of state right now so I don't have the game to play.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-29-2009, 12:15 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 1

Man That would be great!! I have never had this much problem recruiting.. I have no more points afetr like the 3rd week. Thank you so much.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:54 PM   #7
MVP

jkra0512's Arena

All right NCAA BBall '10 fans I was talking to KRob earlier and we discussed, what else, recruiting. KRob came up with a great point, recruiting can be as deep or a shallow as you want it to be.

Furthermore, he outlined his reasons and one of them being you can recruit just by trying to pick up the best player possible OR trying to pick up players who fit your offensive system.

For example, my Georgetown Hoyas run a Princeton offense which places a premium on having a Big who can pass, is a perimeter shooter, and can get the high post and drive or dish it. Greg Monroe is perfect for this system.

Meanwhile, three-point shooters are huge in this system and is a requirement for a half-court team.

If I was to pick attributes I would look for in a Big for my system it would be:

Good Passer
Decent Shot
Great Rebounder

--------

Now for my Guards:

Great Passer
Good 3-point Shooter

Princeton offense is a slow deliberate offense that prides itself on making great passes and taking good shots while using most to all of the shot clock.

So, let me know what your team's offense is and what its premium positions are and why. It'll all go in the guide and you'll get credit for sure.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:48 PM   #8
MVP

K_rob11's Arena

OVR: 21

My two favorite offenses are the Dribble Drive Motion Offense and 5 out motion offense (Probably my favorite because they are very similar to the offensive sets that I teach kids on my basketball team in real life).

The Dribble Drive Motion offense is pretty simple. You need to recruit guys who are able to penetrate off the dribble and guys who can shoot from the outside. You also need players with good passing ratings. This offense really shines in NCAA 10 if you have the right personnel. Drive (to the basket)-draw (the defenders) -and kick (out to the open man). This includes having a big man who you are comfortable letting shoot from about 15-18 feet out. There will be instances in this offense where your big man will have a wide open shot around the FT line area after a drive to the basket by one of your guards.

Having ATLEAST 2 GOOD 3 point shooters is key for this offense. The more shooters you have on the court, the more successful you will be. At the same time, these shooters need to have a good 'drive' rating (or atleast it would be helpful). Having 2 guards that can really penetrate and a SG and maybe a SF who can really shoot the rock will really make this offense successful. Do not over look the importance of recruiting a good passer. If you don't have good rated passers to run this offense......turnover city babyyy! When you run this offense, the post is rarely an option. For when you initiate the offense, the post on the ball side will always be clear so the wing can penetrate and look to pass out to the opposite wing or opposite post if the defense is drawn.

The 5-Out Motion offense is pretty similar, except there are more off ball screens involved. You should be recruiting guys who can shoot (you don't necessarily need to recruit penetrators because of all the off-ball screens). Recruiting a big man who can step out and shoot the 3 is vital for this offense. Think Kyle Singler from Duke. Both your PG and SG need to be able to shoot good from the outside in order for this offense to work.

Those are the two offenses that I am going to run as coach of JU in my dynasty which I plan to start over tonight (Hoping and praying there will be no more freezes). But as it stands now, I don't really have the personel to run this offense on my current roster, which is why I am really going to have to concentrate on recruiting. As I told Jkra0512, I will recruit a 2* guy over a 3* guy if he fits either of these two offenses better. This is what I meant when I said that recruiting can be as deep or as shallow as you make it. Sure, you can go after the high star rated guys and just try to over-talent your opponents......or you can be tactical and recruit guys who fit in "your" system. It is very rewarding for me to find that 2* guy who is a B+ rated passer and B- rated shooter. If you want to be a run and gun team, make sure to focus mainly on the speed grade and quickness grade of the recruits.

Recruiting can be very rewarding if you actually take the time to analyze the grades and determine if that person will fit your system or not. To me, its not too rewarding to just look for the highest rated guys who are most interested in my school.

I think, whether it was intentionally done or unintentionally done, the whole motion offense thing adds a deep element to recruiting in this years game when compared to last years game. Choosing your offense, then finding the recruits who fit that offense (which runs seemlessly during game play) is very rewarding!

I love this game!

Last edited by K_rob11; 12-29-2009 at 02:56 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games > NCAA Basketball »