Home

EA gave a little hint about college basketball returning!

This is a discussion on EA gave a little hint about college basketball returning! within the NCAA Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games > NCAA Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-19-2024, 11:53 AM   #1
MVP

simbayless's Arena

OVR: 2
EA gave a little hint about college basketball returning!

He talks about female college players getting deals and promoting college women sports
Could this be a return of March madness

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2024/03/1...ball-2025.html

Sent from my moto g stylus 5G using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-22-2024, 01:19 AM   #2
Rookie

Razor Hogs's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: EA gave a little hint about college basketball returning!

I hope so, for me 1A is College Football and then 1B is College Basketball.

The problem though is in college basketball there are 351 teams so I am curious how EA or another company handles that.

Arkansas Razorbacks
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Pistons
Detroit Red Wings
Detroit Lions
Old 03-22-2024, 08:20 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Hogs
I hope so, for me 1A is College Football and then 1B is College Basketball.

The problem though is in college basketball there are 351 teams so I am curious how EA or another company handles that.
351 teams times 15 players per team(5,265 players) is still only half the number of players that would need paid compared to football. Financially it shouldn't be an issue.
Old 03-23-2024, 03:43 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

I'm not into College Basketball, but would love for a CBB game to come back. But, I don't see it for EA, maybe 2k. I don't see the logic behind developing a Basketball game from scratch for a niche genre that might not sell well. Even 2k, doesn't seem as likely since they've obviously had the opportunity to jump back in when EA did, but doesn't seem that interested. I'm assuming that EA still has the NBA license since NBA Live Mobile is still around. It would be nice for EA to get back into the Basketball market. But, I don't expect CBB until Live comes back
Old 03-24-2024, 01:50 PM   #5
MVP

simbayless's Arena

OVR: 2

Women's college basketball says otherwise and mens March Madness is booming
EA could capitalize off both

https://thespun.com/college-hoops/ra...nt-are-massive
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-24-2024, 02:43 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by simbayless
Women's college basketball says otherwise and mens March Madness is booming
EA could capitalize off both

https://thespun.com/college-hoops/ra...nt-are-massive
I get that, I'm just saying I don't see EA developing a basketball engine from scratch essentially just for College Basketball. I would get it if NBA Live was coming back as well. Which that situation is weird as well. Nothing official has been stated since Oct 19. The only reason we know EA still has the NBA license because Live Mobile is still around. Even Live Mobile still being around is weird. I would assume they aren't making a lot off of Live Mobile and not sure when that license expires.

It feels like the past decade, Women's CBB has had more marketable players then Men's CBB. Women's March Madness gets as much buzz as Men's. I just feel like most of the buzz doesn't come for CBB until March Madness. The casual fan isn't tuning into regular season games like that. At least for College Football, they will get 5M-10M views for a marquee regular season game. We're not getting that for College Basketball in the regular season.

I can see College Football selling up to 4M-5M copies the first year, then settling into 2-3M yearly. The demand is there. We do have to consider that College Football is going to be Current gen only, which will affect sales. I was actually surprised(and glad) that they didn't start off with Last Gen for the first year just for sales purposes. College Basketball never sold well, that's why it went away before it really had too. So, when we consider that it'll would be current gen only and it being a very niche sport, I think 2M sells is the cap. Nowadays with games, the thought for higher ups is "how can we further monetize this game". Outside of UT, there's not a lot ways you can monetize CBB like you could with CFB.
Old 03-24-2024, 05:19 PM   #7
Expletive Deleted

Ghost Of The Year's Arena

OVR: 0

I want EA an 2K to team up to put out the best CBB game possible. I know they would make for unusual bedfellows, but if Sony and MicroSoft can partner, anything is possible.
#EA2Kcbb'26.
#44Syracuse

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games > NCAA Basketball »