Home

Proposed OU roster changes

This is a discussion on Proposed OU roster changes within the NCAA Football Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-03-2006, 11:11 AM   #17
Rookie

Meni69's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Proposed OU roster changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by granvilleberry
Halzle is good, but has been inconsistent at best with reading the D and it showed in the spring game. I've seen Bradford play a number of times (worked as a sports editor w/ a local paper, covered highschool fb) and while he has an unbelievable amount of upside I don't think he's ready for D1 starting qb. Not by a longshot, but given a year or two he's going to be very good. Maybe not All American, but by the time he's an upperclassmen he will be all Big 12. It's painfully obvious that Paul Thompson is going to be put back at QB. The offense that Kevin Wilson is putting in is likely going to resemble the O he had at Northwestern and should also use alot of the Option Read type plays that UT used last year. Two back shotgun sets, double tight one back spread (aka ace), and offset I should be a good chunk of the playbook. With the need for the QB to be very mobile, Thompson is the only real choice they have. As far as this being the "tip of the iceberge", I think that's nothing more than rumor. There have been rumblings for a while about this dealership and the university has been investigating it for several months now. I'm not shocked that Bomar would do such a thing, he's proven to the general public that he's arrogant enough to think he can get away with most anything. I am a little suprised with Quinn, but I hear Quinn and Bomar are tight so that would explain I suppose. But, the tip of the iceberge? Do you honestly think an athletic program just coming off of a Kelvin Sampson debacle, not to mention 1989, would do anything less that boot everyone off the team that so much as thinks about accepting gifts that violate NCAA rules and regulations? Of course not. If you're willing to toss out your starting QB off a national title contender a month before the season, what would keep you from doing any further cleaning of the house? Stoops won't have it, Barry Switzer may have (though he isn't quite as bad as some would have you believe. now, some of his players, that's another story), but not Stoops. I don't think the season's over, but this just went from a 0-1 ( L to Oregon or Texas) loss team to a 2-3 loss team (Oregon, texas, conf. road game). I have no idea who you would change the players to, but I would be confident in saying that Thompson goes to QB and the WR depth chart just loses a player. Adron Tennell possibly moves into the starting rotation. Also, there's speculation that Gresham will be moved around at slot and fb in addition to sharing time at TE with Finley, so you may think of placing him as the 5th wideout.
Tennell might have to redshirt cuz he's so thin.
Gresham is too thin to block hee hee
He'll be in the slot
Haven't heard anything about FB posiition though
I hope PT is better than he was vs tcu
maybe wilson's O is better for him
Old 08-03-2006, 11:58 AM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meni69
Tennell might have to redshirt cuz he's so thin.
Gresham is too thin to block hee hee
He'll be in the slot
Haven't heard anything about FB posiition though
I hope PT is better than he was vs tcu
maybe wilson's O is better for him
TCU may very well have been first game jitters. The fact that the offense is designed for his style of qb, and not the others in Norman (all 3 of them), is also a big help to his confidence. Bomar won't be breathing down his neck like he was last year. I hope he does well, he's done enough for the team in switching to WR after waiting his turn to take the reigns at QB. He wasn't given a fair shot against TCU, though I do think that Bomar was (obviously) the better talent. Rumor was that Wilson and Long didn't exactly love each other due to conflicts over what style of O to run. Long was rather conservative and liked the drop back qb, Wilson liked the option read/shotgun option and was more of a fan of the overall run game. Wilson has been quoted as saying (pre-bomar debacle) that Thompson would be a star at any other D1 program. All that being said, I think the bigger concern for the immediate future is the o-line's depth.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:34 PM   #19
Pro

iRepOklahoma's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharrisfan2003
Halzle will be the starter vs. UAB.
what makes you think this? Paul knows the playbook like the back of his hand, and has only been a full time WR since Janaury..he still worked out and did QB **** all last season
Old 08-03-2006, 12:41 PM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRepOklahoma
what makes you think this? Paul knows the playbook like the back of his hand, and has only been a full time WR since Janaury..he still worked out and did QB **** all last season
While I would be stunned if Thompson doesn't take the starting position at qb, saying he knows the playbook like the back of his hand is a stretch. Remember, the offensive playbook last year was more or less written by Chuck Long. Long is now at SDSU and Kevin Wilson, a much bigger fan of runnng the qb and the ball in general, is now the OC and I would imagine that while the playbook won't be different in a total sense it will differ from last years to a measurable extent. Thompson reminds me more of a Garrick McGee or (more recongnizable) Randall Cunningham (though not even close in terms of talent) in that he will run the ball if need be but will opt to pass first. Halzle, from what I've seen, can run but more in the mold of a Cale Gundy.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:42 PM   #21
Banned

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by redxiiixi
I would just bump up Romar's ratings to a 99, re-number him #18 and rename him Jason White. Just pretend like White gained an 8th year of eligibility.

Ok j/k. Your suggestions are good. I replace players that are off teams with the best recruits the team has that were left out of the game. Seems most fair to me.
With FSU I made the following changes for players who left. I turned Trevor Ford into RS-Freshman CB Korey Mangum and made him around a 75 ovr, for Kenny O'Neal I turned him into Soph. WR Richard Goodman and kept him around a 79-82 ovr.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-03-2006, 12:44 PM   #22
Pro

iRepOklahoma's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by granvilleberry
While I would be stunned if Thompson doesn't take the starting position at qb, saying he knows the playbook like the back of his hand is a stretch. Remember, the offensive playbook last year was more or less written by Chuck Long. Long is now at SDSU and Kevin Wilson, a much bigger fan of runnng the qb and the ball in general, is now the OC and I would imagine that while the playbook won't be different in a total sense it will differ from last years to a measurable extent. Thompson reminds me more of a Garrick McGee or (more recongnizable) Randall Cunningham (though not even close in terms of talent) in that he will run the ball if need be but will opt to pass first. Halzle, from what I've seen, can run but more in the mold of a Cale Gundy.
with all do respect, Wilson changed our style a little bit, and thats it...im willing to bet my house that 90% of the plays are the same...and honestly, Paul only uses his wheels when needed...i remember from all the scrimmages i went to last year, thinking "why doesnt he just take off and run!?"...Paul is a pretty patient QB, and i dont think well have to worry about the run first mentality...lol i havent heard Garrick McGee's name in like 10 years! haha!!
Old 08-03-2006, 12:46 PM   #23
Pro

iRepOklahoma's Arena

also, when you change Paul to QB on the game, he is a 90 by default...now you guys dont want us to touch ratings, but you'd also complain if Paul was a 90 OVR too...so what do you guys want us to do?? (FYI, Paul was an 84 or 86 on NCAA 06 by default)
Old 08-03-2006, 12:53 PM   #24
Banned

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRepOklahoma
also, when you change Paul to QB on the game, he is a 90 by default...now you guys dont want us to touch ratings, but you'd also complain if Paul was a 90 OVR too...so what do you guys want us to do?? (FYI, Paul was an 84 or 86 on NCAA 06 by default)
What is his speed? The game treats QBs differently in their speed rating so if you lower that and his acceleration I am sure he will drop quickly down to the range he was in 2006. Given the ratings of QBs in the game, I would say an 84 ovr is accurate.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Rosters »