Home

Michigan Wolverines: How to handle the new D?

This is a discussion on Michigan Wolverines: How to handle the new D? within the NCAA Football Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-17-2009, 02:34 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Michigan Wolverines: How to handle the new D?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattSharp
So Michigan fans, how do you plan on replicating the bizarro defense UM is planning this year, where it's a 3-4, but one the 4 "LBs" is a safety, i.e. Stevie Brown this year?

I haven't thought of a good solution, especially because the 3-4 that the game uses takes the #2 MLB and makes him the 4th LB. Of course if you could do formation subs this would be much easier, but that is STILL not a part of this game.

Plus you are going to end up with way too many LBs. There are like 9 in the game already. If you move Brandon Smith and Stevie Brown (like IRL) then you end up with 11.

Any ideas?
I am a huge Michigan fan and play with them in my Dynasty ( well as soon as rosters come out..lol ) and is this the best Defense to run??

Also can we sub in and out players in individual sets... like we can in madden?? or no?
Old 07-17-2009, 02:53 PM   #18
Asst 2 the Comm Manager

TheShizNo1's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse14
In doing my work on the Michigan rosters there's a few problems, I'll share what my decisions were to help you make your own:

First, the hybrid DE/LB spot is a bit awkward. Because this player is usually not in a 3 point stance and is instead standing up, it means the base 4-3 defense is already simply inaccurate. You could theoretically move a Van Bergen to DT and then move Herron to DE and that would replicate the Mich. defense when Herron puts his hand down as a pure rusher. However, this can create problems when you're doing a more traditional 3 man down front, as the depth chart would be whacky and have Graham-Martin-Herron. There simply isn't a way to avoid this. As such, I eliminated the 4-3 as a base defense.

The 2nd consideration is to use the 3-4 and have the traditional 3 DL (Graham-Martin-RVB), with Herron playing 1 OLB spot, and Stevie Brown playing the other OLB (this is the hyrbird LB/S spot). Then, you need to move the other LB (in this case it is like Fitzgerald) to MLB. That would actually give you a perfect lineup of the correct 3 down linemen and the correct guys playing the LB spot. The key would be to adjust Herron a bit to make him a bit more of a DE/LB hyrbird, and to adjust Brown to make him more of a LB/S hybrid. Also, you'd likely need to adjust ratings for moving Fitzgerald to MLB.

My only problem with this is that it requires significant editing of rosters. Fine for OD (mostly, see below), but not great for online. Simply put, moving someone to MLB won't just work to make Fitzgerald and 80-something overall, he's probably low 70s. Secondly, and this effects OD, it is really hard to make a S into an OLB but still retain the good traits in coverage that a S has over an OLB without creating a superman. Put another way, making Brown (and Hawthorne, the backup @ the hybrid S/LB spot) too good in coverage as a LB would make him too sick and unrealistic. But making him too weak as a LB would make him completely ineffective serving ina 3-4, and way too much of a tweener. If you try to adjust for this too much you can end up either creating an OLB who looks like he will be greatest player ever, or someone totally unrepresentative of the actual player.

My solution was simply to say I'm going to convert them to a 3-3-5. This, easy enough, keeps you with the correct 3 DL, and you can place Herron as one LB, Ezeh as the Mike, and Fitzgerald as the other OLB. Doesn't account for shifts according to field position, but NCAA doesn't do that anyways - you'd have to do it with formation subs in play choice screen. The 3-3-5 allows you to play 2 safeties (in this case the S were Woolfork and Emilien) as well as a third SS down, who would be stevie brown. This best replicate Brown's role as a hybrid LB/S, as well as Herron's role as a DE/LB. So the solution is- use Herron and Fitzgerald as OLB (really, whoever it is in the game will be fine), and move the hybrid S/LBs to the SS. Then select the 3-3-5 defense as your base defense.

The only problem is getting the computer to do this in a dynasty, but that's another issue.

Hope this helps. When working on the rosters, I had a huge issue with how to actually deal with this. You end up having too many SS, but either way you're either going to have a ton of SS or a ton of LBs - there's no real way to get around it. IMO, the 3-3-5 works best.
Great break down man
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
You underestimate my laziness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
**** ya

Old 07-17-2009, 03:29 PM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse14
In doing my work on the Michigan rosters there's a few problems, I'll share what my decisions were to help you make your own:

First, the hybrid DE/LB spot is a bit awkward. Because this player is usually not in a 3 point stance and is instead standing up, it means the base 4-3 defense is already simply inaccurate. You could theoretically move a Van Bergen to DT and then move Herron to DE and that would replicate the Mich. defense when Herron puts his hand down as a pure rusher. However, this can create problems when you're doing a more traditional 3 man down front, as the depth chart would be whacky and have Graham-Martin-Herron. There simply isn't a way to avoid this. As such, I eliminated the 4-3 as a base defense.

The 2nd consideration is to use the 3-4 and have the traditional 3 DL (Graham-Martin-RVB), with Herron playing 1 OLB spot, and Stevie Brown playing the other OLB (this is the hyrbird LB/S spot). Then, you need to move the other LB (in this case it is like Fitzgerald) to MLB. That would actually give you a perfect lineup of the correct 3 down linemen and the correct guys playing the LB spot. The key would be to adjust Herron a bit to make him a bit more of a DE/LB hyrbird, and to adjust Brown to make him more of a LB/S hybrid. Also, you'd likely need to adjust ratings for moving Fitzgerald to MLB.

My only problem with this is that it requires significant editing of rosters. Fine for OD (mostly, see below), but not great for online. Simply put, moving someone to MLB won't just work to make Fitzgerald and 80-something overall, he's probably low 70s. Secondly, and this effects OD, it is really hard to make a S into an OLB but still retain the good traits in coverage that a S has over an OLB without creating a superman. Put another way, making Brown (and Hawthorne, the backup @ the hybrid S/LB spot) too good in coverage as a LB would make him too sick and unrealistic. But making him too weak as a LB would make him completely ineffective serving ina 3-4, and way too much of a tweener. If you try to adjust for this too much you can end up either creating an OLB who looks like he will be greatest player ever, or someone totally unrepresentative of the actual player.

My solution was simply to say I'm going to convert them to a 3-3-5. This, easy enough, keeps you with the correct 3 DL, and you can place Herron as one LB, Ezeh as the Mike, and Fitzgerald as the other OLB. Doesn't account for shifts according to field position, but NCAA doesn't do that anyways - you'd have to do it with formation subs in play choice screen. The 3-3-5 allows you to play 2 safeties (in this case the S were Woolfork and Emilien) as well as a third SS down, who would be stevie brown. This best replicate Brown's role as a hybrid LB/S, as well as Herron's role as a DE/LB. So the solution is- use Herron and Fitzgerald as OLB (really, whoever it is in the game will be fine), and move the hybrid S/LBs to the SS. Then select the 3-3-5 defense as your base defense.

The only problem is getting the computer to do this in a dynasty, but that's another issue.

Hope this helps. When working on the rosters, I had a huge issue with how to actually deal with this. You end up having too many SS, but either way you're either going to have a ton of SS or a ton of LBs - there's no real way to get around it. IMO, the 3-3-5 works best.
that makes good sense but one small thing: Jonas Mouton should probably be starting over Herron (assuming his shoulder is fully healed)
Old 07-17-2009, 03:35 PM   #20
six
Banned

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameface1324
As long as you don't play Utah, OSU, Appy St, or Toledo, you should be fine
Haha, that's a very good point. Well there is no Appy St in the game by default so I think Michigan fan can avoid losing to them again.
Old 07-17-2009, 04:16 PM   #21
Rookie

GetBuff's Arena

OVR: 5

Got em....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-19-2009, 10:36 AM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosox5s
that makes good sense but one small thing: Jonas Mouton should probably be starting over Herron (assuming his shoulder is fully healed)
Well, Mouton would actually be starting @ the other LB spot over Fitzgerald, not over Herron. Herron is the DE/LB hybird.

Mouton should be starting, but he's been injured, so as of now it's been Fitzgerald. If Mouton is healthy, it should be him, but as of right now that is a decent-sized "if"
Old 07-19-2009, 06:19 PM   #23
MVP

tree3five's Arena

OVR: 27

on the depth chart where should Stevie Brown be so he plays the right position in the 3-3-5? Should he be the starting SS or backup? thanks for the help guys.
Old 07-19-2009, 08:17 PM   #24
MattUMD224

OVR:

What about using the 4-2-5 for them

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Rosters »