Home

Roster Idea for EA

This is a discussion on Roster Idea for EA within the NCAA Football Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-14-2010, 10:39 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Roster Idea for EA

So I am a mad scientist programmer and I do a lot of DB work - what I think EA should do to make a LOT of their problems with rosters etc go away is this, with all their games not just college FB.

Make players with the following fields by Default.

First Name
Last Name
Number 10

By doing this, they have the ability to release roster updates throughout the season that modify the ratings of players - so that you don't have the super bama defense that everyone is clamoring about, the player ratings can change through the year to reflect realistic play. By leaving the name fields blank, and keying off of the number field they can still stay ok with the NCAA but allow the community to modify the names of the players - they key would be to tie in the roster update portion where only certain values are modified instead of a complete re-write (XML, SQL or other DB update procedures)

This process could also allow us the community to modify and update rosters faster, I could do just Notre Dame, you could download the partial roster update and take my information in, with this method you could recruit 118 people to do the rosters and have them completed a few hours after release date.

Kinda heady for a first post, but you get the picture. EA should be able to work with this system - what does everyone else think for feasibility?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-14-2010, 10:51 AM   #2
MVP

mmorg's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Roster Idea for EA

They did it for NCAA basketball the one year with the March Madness game on xbox live right?
Old 07-14-2010, 11:22 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 1
Another roster idea

why is it they cap every roster at 70 players when in reality all D1 teams have 85?

"If it's in the game, it's in the game" Right?

I realize 15 additional players times 120 teams is a lot, BUT you can't convince me the game & the systems can't handle it.

Every year I set up my dynasty and am forced to cut several players that I'll need in future seasons to make it down to 70.

I was hoping NCAA 11 would be different in this aspect.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:52 AM   #4
Rookie

Karlos2121's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: Another roster idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone33
why is it they cap every roster at 70 players when in reality all D1 teams have 85?

I realize 15 additional players times 120 teams is a lot, BUT you can't convince me the game & the systems can't handle it.

Every year I set up my dynasty and am forced to cut several players that I'll need in future seasons to make it down to 70.

I couldn't agree more....
Old 07-14-2010, 01:39 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Recruit better.

Plus have a tendency to cut older players and cut players in positions you have a lot of. Don't cut the third QB who is a 60 when you can cut the 10th WR who is a 65.

I've never had a problem with depth on my teams except in the case of more than one player in the same position being injured. Even when I change offensive or defensive schemes, I can usually recruit well enough to fill in the holes.

When you're recruiting, focus on filling the IMMEDIATE needs first (whatever the game tells you that you definitely need next year). And then, instead of just going after a bunch of the best players, look at your depth chart and go after the best players IN THE POSITIONS YOU WILL NEED the year after.

So, if you have two junior QBs, the game won't tell you that you need a QB THIS YEAR but you can recruit him this year and get him in now.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-14-2010, 01:44 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 15
Re: Roster Idea for EA

OP: It's not just the NAME that can get EA in trouble. In fact, student athletes have attempted (unsuccessfully) to sue EA for using their likeness just based on the height/weight/hometown/team/jerseynumber/looks/etc. If you then go to edit Ark QB#15's stats in the game based on how well Arkansas' starting QB Ryan Mallett is performing, then you've made the case for the student athlete that much stronger if they decide they want to sue EA, a case that EA may not be able to win.

And it's not that EA doesn't want to pay the student athletes, or that the NCAA has a problem with EA using the student athletes' names & likeness. The problem is that the student athletes can not be paid for their status as a student athlete, because that takes them out of the realm of amateur and into the realm of professional, and therefore ineligible to compete.

If EA could work out a deal that the NCAA would be okay with, EA would be paying the student athletes to use their likenesses and we'd have names on rosters. But that's not allowed, and EA isn't about to let itself get sued just to use the names.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:49 PM   #7
Pro

OVR: 16

Quote:

This is like beating a dead horse! The travel roster for a team is 70 players. So, instead of having us deactivate 15 players a week, they just give us 70 man rosters. Its really alot easier this way than just deactivating 15 guys a week.

NCAAB: Cincinnati Bearcats
NFL: Houston Texans
NBA: New York Knicks

"Those Who Stay Will Be CHAMPIONS"-Bo Schembechler-R.I.P.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:55 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Actually Madden and NCAA have problems every year on fitting everything on the disc. There is all kinds of stuff that we never see because it has to get cut to make room.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Rosters »