Home
Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 12:17 PM   #49
All Star

OVR: 24
Re: Roman Caesar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank
First off, I agree the college game is, generally, more offense-oriented than the pro game. Though let me point out that an A/B+ split is not the smallest you can have without being even. An A-/B+ split would be.

Anyway, some of these splits appear justified. After living in Arkansas last year, their split looks good to me. However, looks and reputations can be deceiving. For example, Boise St. They played 2 top 25 opponents last year, Oregon and TCU. The final scores of those games were 19-8 and 17-10. That doesn't look like an offensive juggernaut to me. (I know they scored big on everyone else but Tulsa, but the WAC schedule is really soft. I really wish strength of schedule figured into the ratings more strongly, but that is another story.) Another example is Washington, they scored around 22 or 23 ppg average in Pac 10 games. Their offense was rated 69th in ppg, the defense 70th in ppg against. Does that make an A- offense? Even Tulsa, who gained the big offensive reputation with Malzahn as OC, last year scored 29.3 ppg and gave up 27.3 ppg.

Now certainly you can't go only by last year with all the changes in the college game. And I've been wrong before and will be again, I'm sure. But it is hard to avoid the conclusion that some of these splits were based on past reputation rather than what (admittedly questionable) data we have to go with.
To be fair to Boise- TCU was #1 in total D and Oregon was 35th. Washington i looked over many times. The stars of the O have to be carrying that letter grade, but the rest isn't much. I dropped some of their players more, but its still an A-. Two of the OL were honorable mention Pac 10. The #1 RB, #1 QB, #1 WR just have monster ratings. The rest of the O isn't impressive.

I don't want to focus on this though. The default set has a few more +2 on offense then i do even. Looks like the offensive grades just run higher.

Last edited by dkrause1971; 08-06-2010 at 12:36 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:44 PM   #50
Hall of Fame

jb12780's Arena

OVR: 23

DK, great stuff so far. I just have one very little tidbit of info. Army's starting QB Trent Steelman is a lefty. EA for some reason decided to make him right-handed.

EDIT: Another small change. MLB Steven Anderson is a senior not a junior. Once again, good stuff.

EDIT: Disregard the Steelman change. I must have been thinking of a different QB.

Last edited by jb12780; 08-06-2010 at 12:54 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 01:19 PM   #51
Rookie

Frank the Tank's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrause1971
To be fair to Boise- TCU was #1 in total D and Oregon was 35th. Washington i looked over many times. The stars of the O have to be carrying that letter grade, but the rest isn't much. I dropped some of their players more, but its still an A-. Two of the OL were honorable mention Pac 10. The #1 RB, #1 QB, #1 WR just have monster ratings. The rest of the O isn't impressive.

I don't want to focus on this though. The default set has a few more +2 on offense then i do even. Looks like the offensive grades just run higher.
Thanks for at least looking at this. With Washington, that brings up a quick question. Do some positions count more than others when determining overall rating on offense? I've always wondered that.

And I hear you on Iowa and Nebraska. They certainly were at least 2 grades better on D last year. Maybe this year will be different, but I was amazed when I saw the original ratings and they were stronger on offense than defense.

In any case, thanks one more time for your excellent work. It is truly appreciated.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2010, 01:26 PM   #52
All Star

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank
Thanks for at least looking at this. With Washington, that brings up a quick question. Do some positions count more than others when determining overall rating on offense? I've always wondered that.

And I hear you on Iowa and Nebraska. They certainly were at least 2 grades better on D last year. Maybe this year will be different, but I was amazed when I saw the original ratings and they were stronger on offense than defense.

In any case, thanks one more time for your excellent work. It is truly appreciated.
I think your main point was a good one. I don't know if the default roster itself was offensive leaning, whether the formula used to total the score to get the letter is off (since we have more offensive positions, maybe its overvalued?), or maybe some positions are just worth more to the game.

Thank you for catching that stuff with the pass footwork i think it was. I did change it.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:32 PM   #53
Rookie

Frank the Tank's Arena

OVR: 2

Yes, the original rosters were weighted to offense. I'm sure when you edited guys up or down, it changed things slightly but kept the overall emphasis the same. Cheers!
Old 08-06-2010, 02:36 PM   #54
Rookie

jtstur2's Arena

OVR: 5

Great rosters so far man. I was looking over kentucky's roster and i was wondering if you would make a few changes.

Players that aren't eligible/wont make an impact anytime soon.

QB Tyler Brause
FB Brian Murphy (Joker said they will only carry two FB's)
DE Tim Patterson (ineligible)
DT Antwane Glenn (recruited over)
OLB Jabari Johnson (ineligible)
WR EJ fields (still recovering from major injury)

Here are a few players that could be filled in for these guys.

WR Brian Adams, #87, 6-4, 232, Fr-RS (Will most likely be #3 reciever)
DT Donte Rumph, #99, 6-2, 295, Fr (Will be #3/#4 DT)
FS Jarvis Walker,#17, 6-1, 208, Fr-RS (3rd string)
DE Tristian Johnson,#51, 6-1, 259, Fr-RS (2nd string RE)
ROLB Ryan Mosby,#44 5-11, 206, Fr-RS (2nd string)
MLB Jewll Ratliff, #39, 6-2, 230, Fr (4th string)

Avery Williamson is also a MLB.(3rd string)
Qua Huzzie will be a MLB initially but will fill gaps at any LB spot.
I didnt check numbers for everyone cause i know how that is tedious work, but this is was i have so far. Any problems and you can pm me and ill offer my help.

Thanks for all the hard work!

Last edited by jtstur2; 08-06-2010 at 03:07 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 04:29 PM   #55
Pro

OVR: 7

I am at work so I can't download the file and check for myself, but has Marsalis Teague and Ted Meline been moved from WR to CB for Tennessee?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2010, 08:12 PM   #56
td7
Rookie

OVR: 4

Are these rosters out for PS3? If so, what is the user name?
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Rosters »