Home

General question about the "other" roster sites?

This is a discussion on General question about the "other" roster sites? within the NCAA Football Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-08-2013, 01:19 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Exclamation General question about the "other" roster sites?

I've used Operation Sports' Community Rosters for several years now and they've always been great. I really appreciate the work everyone does here and it's why I'm a member of OS.

However, I've also witnessed the evolution of these other paid roster sites. Does anyone know what keeps users that did pay for these other rosters from simply uploading them to their EA Locker and sharing them with others for free? Am I just completely overlooking some simple aspect of the process or couldn't someone just buy it and then share it massively with everyone they know? I have just been wondering about this and that's why I ask.

Personally, I would rather have the OS Community rosters anyway because they always seem to be more accurate and detailed, but I still don't see how these other sites think they can restrict access to a roster file? Is there something I'm not seeing?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-08-2013, 01:29 PM   #2
Game Dev

TheBleedingRed21's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: General question about the "other" roster sites?

It would be illegal. Buying something then distributing without consent is illegal. Even NCAA rosters..

Never pay for them, that is silly.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:31 PM   #3
Football Fanatic

Yukon46's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Tipsy Penguin
I've used Operation Sports' Community Rosters for several years now and they've always been great. I really appreciate the work everyone does here and it's why I'm a member of OS.

However, I've also witnessed the evolution of these other paid roster sites. Does anyone know what keeps users that did pay for these other rosters from simply uploading them to their EA Locker and sharing them with others for free? Am I just completely overlooking some simple aspect of the process or couldn't someone just buy it and then share it massively with everyone they know? I have just been wondering about this and that's why I ask.

Personally, I would rather have the OS Community rosters anyway because they always seem to be more accurate and detailed, but I still don't see how these other sites think they can restrict access to a roster file? Is there something I'm not seeing?
They have no way of controlling what you do with your roster file.

They hope to gain money from those that dont visit sites like "OS"... and with them staying in business every year, must be more a than a few people out there that only know how to get rosters, is from them !

Old 07-08-2013, 01:35 PM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBleedingRed21
It would be illegal. Buying something then distributing without consent is illegal. Even NCAA rosters..

Never pay for them, that is silly.
It would seem that would only stand with a copywritten product or something involving intellectual property though, wouldn't it? These are just edits of an aspect of something we have all paid for (NCAA Football 14)? To that end, I don't see the legal grounds they would have to sue anyone for leaking a roster file?

Look at all the music that is shared online, now that is illegal but the RIAA hardly sues any single person or attempts to prosecute him/her. You know? I'm not a legal expert, but I would be surprised if a person could be sued for leaking a roster file. I just don't see under what grounds they could be prosecuted or sued?

Maybe someone else here knows more about that? It's an interesting topic, though.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:36 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon46

They hope to gain money from those that dont visit sites like "OS"... and with them staying in business every year, must be more a than a few people out there that only know how to get rosters, is from them !
That's pretty much the only conclusion I could reasonably come to. I just know there is a large community here so I thought I'd ask for everyone's opinions!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-08-2013, 01:41 PM   #6
Rookie

zkbenson's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Tipsy Penguin
It would seem that would only stand with a copywritten product or something involving intellectual property though, wouldn't it? These are just edits of an aspect of something we have all paid for (NCAA Football 14)? To that end, I don't see the legal grounds they would have to sue anyone for leaking a roster file?

Look at all the music that is shared online, now that is illegal but the RIAA hardly sues any single person or attempts to prosecute him/her. You know? I'm not a legal expert, but I would be surprised if a person could be sued for leaking a roster file. I just don't see under what grounds they could be prosecuted or sued?

Maybe someone else here knows more about that? It's an interesting topic, though.
It is illegal to take an element of their product and profit for your own gain using their product. Selling rosters is an easy way to get sued. That is why some of the sites allegedly "Donate" all contributions they receive for the rosters they make. And by donate, I mean keep.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:40 PM   #7
MVP

KleShreen's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon46

This. It is hard to think about, but those on OS or any other gaming site represent a very small sliver of the people who buy NCAA each year. The general fan will go to google, type in "NCAA 14 rosters" and frequently those pay sites will be the first ones that pop up and they don't realize there are other ways to get rosters. There are more than enough people out there who don't know better to keep those sites afloat from year-to-year. They must make decent money at it, because I sold my rosters to one of those site's owners years ago and made a pretty decent penny off of them so he would have them "first".
Old 07-08-2013, 02:46 PM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KleShreen
This. It is hard to think about, but those on OS or any other gaming site represent a very small sliver of the people who buy NCAA each year. The general fan will go to google, type in "NCAA 14 rosters" and frequently those pay sites will be the first ones that pop up and they don't realize there are other ways to get rosters. There are more than enough people out there who don't know better to keep those sites afloat from year-to-year. They must make decent money at it, because I sold my rosters to one of those site's owners years ago and made a pretty decent penny off of them so he would have them "first".
Ah okay, yeah that makes sense. Thanks for the reply!

I'm glad we have Operation Sports' Community Rosters, though... I've used Fairdale Kings in the past (before he charged a fee) and I always felt OS had the better rosters. I like the fact that the community continually improves and updates the roster throughout the season as well, and to a much more detailed degree than, say, FK or other pay sites.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Rosters »