Home

mudtiger's All-American NCAA 06 Sliders

This is a discussion on mudtiger's All-American NCAA 06 Sliders within the NCAA Football Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-20-2005, 08:05 PM   #73
MVP

Tomahawk's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: A more defensive game

Mudtiger,

I might be wrong about this, but the RB Ability slider doesn't seem to effect any other offensive player carrying the ball. I played using your sliders with VT vs. UVA and the RB's number were not bad, but UVA's QB Marques Hagens looked like a track star amongst turtles and ran for 140 yards against me.

Have you noticed the scrambling QB's that you have played against having huge rushing games??
  • LETS GO BRUINS!!!
Old 07-20-2005, 11:05 PM   #74
MVP

mudtiger's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomahawk
Mudtiger,

I might be wrong about this, but the RB Ability slider doesn't seem to effect any other offensive player carrying the ball. I played using your sliders with VT vs. UVA and the RB's number were not bad, but UVA's QB Marques Hagens looked like a track star amongst turtles and ran for 140 yards against me.

Have you noticed the scrambling QB's that you have played against having huge rushing games??
I played a few games against Brad Smith with the previous version of the sliders and didn't get anything unusual out of him. He was dangerous and needed to be spied every play, but he could be contained. Using one or both of the ends to spy helped. Of course that's one less guy rushing giving him time to air the ball out, so it's a risk either way. Pick your poison.

I played many games against Air Force and Army too. While those guys run the option, I wouldn't consider the qbs speedy guys or huge threats, but they can break large gains. Stopping the run requires playcalling specifically to stop it, specially against impact players. Not to mention some games, the cpu is just on fire. But those guys I'm sure don't have the stats to measure up to Hagans.

Is Hagans running for 140 yards out of the realm of statistcial possiblities? I seriously don't know cause I would have to have watched the game you called against him. Was he scrambling? Running the option? Breaking tackles? Just outrunning people without getting touched?

About all I can suggest is to play another game or two against him specifically trying to contain him to see if it can be done. If he can't be contained no matter what you call, then if you still want to use these sliders you'll have to make a few tweaks. Maybe increasing human tackle or awareness.

I'll play against UVA with Navy and see what I can pick up. They probably are just too overpowering for Navy and I won't learn much, so I'll try a game or half against mizzou again and see what I can figure out.

Last edited by mudtiger; 07-20-2005 at 11:11 PM.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:42 AM   #75
MVP

mudtiger's Arena

Quote:
Tomahawk, I'm glad I played UVA vs Navy as I learned several things. Stats first.

UVA vs Navy

UVA 31 - Navy 3

UVA
15 first downs
306 total yards
26-160 rushing
11-21 passing for 146 and 1 TD
2 sacks given up
TOP 14:39

HB Lundy 17-129 rush 3 TD
QB Hagans 5-12 rush

Navy
11 first downs
179 total yards
46-172 rushing
1-10 passing
2 sacks given up
TOP 21:21

HB Hines 22-86 rush
FB Hall 12-76 rush

What did I learn?

1. I love these sliders
2. If I can contain Hagans with Navy, he is containable
3. I need to give human catching a bump up

1. Even in crushing defeat, I could move the ball a bit. I came close to a TD twice but could never punch the ball in. I could move the ball in spurts but never put together a solid drive. There was one exception where I had the UVA right end rattled and held the ball for almost 5 minutes running it exclusively at him. It helped that UVA's line was getting tired and the subs were coming in too. It was great to check the matchup stick and see at least one guy that wasn't in the green as a good player out against me on defense when a sub came in. When that happened, I knew where I was going to run the ball. The subs and the rattled end more than anything helped to sustain the 5 minute drive and keep UVA from running up the score.

2. I called a spy every play. Some plays I had 3 guys watching the qb on a spy. 2 LBs and an end. Or sometimes I would call a safety blitz and control him manually and act as a spy instead of blitzing. I see what you mean about the guy being a track star among turtles, but you can contain him with spys. Granted he only ran 5 times, but I believe fast QBs can be contained. You certainly open yourself up to other attacks when you do so, but that's part of the real game too.

With some missed tackles, Hagans probably could have had some big gains, but as of right now I don't see any changes needed with regards to scrambling QBs.

Learn to use the D-line audible to make an end spy, anticipate where he is going to try and escape from the pocket, take a good angle knowing he is much faster than you so you have one shot to make the tackle, use the strafe button to square up and hit whenever possible, and most of all nail him to the ground with a big hit. After 2 big hits, one of which caused a fumble, Hagans thought twice about running with the ball and stayed in the pocket the whole 2nd half. Could just be a coincidence, but I thought it was funny he didn't run again after 2 big hits when he scrambled out of the pocket into a waiting spy.

3. I'm not that bad passing the ball. I should have at least been 4-10 passing because of 3 pretty poor drops. I'm sure my WRs heard foot steps even while still in the huddle, but they dropped at least 3 that should have been sure catches.

Miscellaneous stuff learned:

The cpu can call a good 4th quarter with the lead. UVA handed the ball off nearly every play in the 4th.

UVA's LBs were just lining up big hit after big hit. After a while I felt sorry for my poor guys just getting laid out every play. Not an arm tackle in site, just those crushing shoulder/forearm shots to the upper body that cause the ball carrier to drop like he was shot.

So the small adjustment to sliders is raising Human WRcatch to 10%. I'll edit the other post to include the change. If you are a better passer than I am and haven't had problems with your own qb's completion %, then no change is needed.

Last edited by mudtiger; 07-21-2005 at 12:46 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-21-2005, 01:21 AM   #76
Negative Vibe Merchant

pilonv1's Arena

OVR: 8

Sadly I'm not getting the results everyone else is. I played half a game of UTEP (me) v New Mexico St and was down 21-0 midway through the second. The three TDs were long bombs (their QB was 5-16 for his 3 TD's) and my RB was getting chased down by lineman on option plays and couldn't cross the line of scrimmage. I'm willing to give them anouther chance but something just doesn't seem right. I wish I could get the same results the rest of you are
Old 07-21-2005, 07:04 AM   #77
Hall Of Fame

TJdaSportsGuy's Arena

OVR: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilonv1
Sadly I'm not getting the results everyone else is. I played half a game of UTEP (me) v New Mexico St and was down 21-0 midway through the second. The three TDs were long bombs (their QB was 5-16 for his 3 TD's) and my RB was getting chased down by lineman on option plays and couldn't cross the line of scrimmage. I'm willing to give them anouther chance but something just doesn't seem right. I wish I could get the same results the rest of you are
That's your problem. Play an entire game. Play a couple of games. The beauty of these sliders is every single game is different, yet none of them are unlike something you'd see on a Saturday.
Old 07-21-2005, 08:43 AM   #78
MVP

Tomahawk's Arena

Thanks for the input Mudtiger.

Hagens got most of his yardage against me when he would drop back to pass then take off when the rush got close. I had no problem stopping Lundy, but I did have trouble running against UVA which can be expected with Brooks and Parham at LB.
  • LETS GO BRUINS!!!
Old 07-21-2005, 11:53 AM   #79
MVP

mudtiger's Arena

Quote:
Hagens got most of his yardage against me when he would drop back to pass then take off when the rush got close. I had no problem stopping Lundy, but I did have trouble running against UVA which can be expected with Brooks and Parham at LB.
Were you spying him every play? If you don't spy fast QBs or even moderately fast QBs, they will get yards. I have mostly slow LBs and as long as I took good angles, I could contain him with spies. It required my attention every play though. I literally had at least one spy every play.

Your biggest concern is to spy the wide part of the field if the ball is spotted all the way to the left or right. You need to spy on the wide side of the field to force him the other way to the sideline. If he gets out into the open on the wide side, he is gone. If you force him to the sideline, hopefully he will have less room to work with and can be forced out if you can't make the tackle.

That's good to hear about Lundy, because that was the one guy I could not stop. My D-line was being manhandled and my LBs were getting trucked. He had 130 yards and 3 TDs on 17 carries. If they had given him 30 carries, he could have had 200+ yards and another 2 TDs probably. It's good to hear because it would seem a better defense can stop him.
Old 07-21-2005, 03:04 PM   #80
MVP

Tomahawk's Arena

He got the big runs when I went into deep zone coverage when it was 3rd and 18. He busted one over 60 yards on me, but I'm sure I can do better next time I play them with using your sliders.

Thanks again!!!
  • LETS GO BRUINS!!!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Sliders »