Home

Obsession with sliders

This is a discussion on Obsession with sliders within the NCAA Football Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-28-2005, 06:38 PM   #1
Banned

AirLobo23's Arena

OVR: 16
Obsession with sliders

I don't get it.

The default sliders are how the game is suppose to be played unless you find a specific area that doesn't suit you. For example, I might bump up the WR catch slider only after I play about 10 or so games and find that they drop too many passes for my liking.

Now, I see a lot of posts where guys change the sliders around all the time to find the perfect game. Then, other people use those perfect sliders so they can play the perfect game. Problem is, no one person plays the game exactly the same way or is at the same skill level. So how does that work?

What happenend to learning how to play the game the way it was designed? When you first played Halo 2 on xbox live were you as good then as you are now? One thread on here read they can't enjoy NCAA yet until they find the right mix of sliders because they get better at the game and the cpu no longer poses any competition. Wellll, why not get better at the game on the default setting eliminating the need to obsess over sliders?

When I played the first couple games of NCAA I got killed. I couldn't stop anyone, but the more I played the better I got which is typical of any game. Rather wasting all your time tinkering with sliders, why not bump the game difficulty up to Heisman, suck it up for a few weeks, and before you know it you'll be hanging with the computer. It's a game/sport and it requires practice, stop making excuses about how the default sliders aren't any good and how they need adjusted and play it the way it was designed.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-28-2005, 07:18 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 12
Re: Obsession with sliders

have you ever actually tried sliders? The point of sliders is to make the game more realistic and alot more challenging. I dont know about you but I dont want to rush for 300 yds every game on default all american.
Old 07-28-2005, 08:00 PM   #3
L*v* *nd H*n*r t* M**m*

mazhirui's Arena

OVR: 5

Yeah, it's all about realism. I'd say EA's are designed for someone to be able to pick up and play, and maybe designed for good PvP games. I only play against the CPU so I want realistic sliders. In order to get accurate stats, you have to adjust slider settings.

Miami University
Bicentennial, 1809-2009
Old 07-28-2005, 10:42 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 7

I think it's tough to compare a game like Halo to a sports game when it comes to something like a slider discussion. With Halo there is no real life comparison. With sports games, many people want reasonably realistic results.

If the default sliders cause me to suffer through 0-11 season as USC, that's not my definition of fun. Likewise, if the default sliders cause me to go 11-0 as Temple, that's not my definition of fun, either.

And in a dynasty, I don't have the luxury of using the first year to get the feel for the game. That's why I play some exhibition games for awhile until I'm getting results that are satisfactory to me. Then I start my dynasty.

Believe it or not, in the past, I've only had to do minimal slider tweaking after my dynasty was underway. Usually, the sliders I settle on do the trick for the majority of the rest of the game's life.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:02 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

TJdaSportsGuy's Arena

OVR: 69

I moved this into the sliders section...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-28-2005, 11:11 PM   #6
Rookie

OpTiOnMaStA's Arena

OVR: 4

Sliders are EA's way of saying there are no perfect settings to play on. There are different difficulty settings as we all know, however, oftentimes people fall in between them. One great example is that probably close to 95% of the people on here fall somewhere inbetween All-American and Heisman. All-American on it's default is too easy for hardcore gamers and Heisman is too hard for many.

Secondly, as it has been mentioned before, some of us play for realism. We want the stats to be real and the game to feel real. This is how the game is fun for us, and sliders are the tools we use to adjust the game to our own liking.
Old 07-29-2005, 05:13 AM   #7
Rookie

TurboVol's Arena

OVR: 1

I know I'm in the minority, but I hate changing sliders. I usually start off on default All-American, and if/when the game gets too easy, bump it up to Heisman. If one specific aspect of the game is glaringly out of whack, I'll finally relent and change the slider, example: All-Pro on MVP is just about perfect for me, but pitching became entirely too easy, so I changed the pitch difficulty slider to make it harder. And I'll do the same thing with NCAA if need be.

Not knocking the guys that do work on sliders. And I'm glad sliders are in the game. But so many people spend so much time tinkering with sliders in search of the perfect game, and I'm not sure that perfect game exists.
Old 07-29-2005, 05:56 AM   #8
MVP

poopoop's Arena

OVR: 4

You are right, you don't get it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Sliders »