Home

Old 08-12-2007, 07:01 PM   #1
Probably Insane

Village Idiot's Arena

OVR: 30
Slider Log

Taking a page (no, outright stealing a page) from mudtiger's thread, I've decided to start a slider log thread of my own.

Premise I:

The CPU's throwing INTs is what it is. Unless there's a patch, it's just something we have to either accept or not play the game. So don't expect any miracles; even when I'm 'done' you're still going to see anywhere from 2-4 INTs per game from your defense. I acknowledge this going in. And, for the record, I do not believe the theory that the INT and KNDW sliders are reversed. Instead, I believe that neither slider does much of anything.

Premise II:

Human offense has never truly been a problem in this series. Guys are having some problems passing this year, but I agree with the general notion that this is simply a matter of practice, getting to know your playbook, and making proper reads, with the most important addition of the fact 'making proper reads' is different this year than in years past. It took me a while, but I'm finally starting to see that there's a big difference between when guys are truly open and when I think they're open - but when you know the difference, passing is that much easier. I've been completing a very high rate of my passes lately, even to the tune of having a game like 28 of 35 for 378 yards and 5 TDs. I don't think anyone's having much problem running the ball, especially after tweaks.

That said, human offense is not the problem. Per usual, it's about getting a proper attack from the CPU offense so that your defensive playcalls will make all the difference. There's nothing as bad as sitting back in pass defense all game and having the CPU still struggle to run. What's more, you don't want to sit in pass coverage all game long and still have the CPU picking you apart. Assuming that it is possible to get a proper balance here, and granting me my first premise, that's about the best we can hope for.

Sliders:

I've spent my last 12 games or so playing with Jistic's sliders (more or less default AA). I won each of them, and they were getting easier and easier. So, to begin with, I'll be giving Heisman another shot (though I have no reservations about returning to AA).

It's been my experience that Heisman is pretty **** difficult, so for the first game I will just compose what I feel is the easiest possible configuration that 'makes sense' and go from there.

I will be playing with 9 minute quarters throughout.

HUM/CPU

Offense:

100/20
100/0
100/0
100/100
100/70

Defense:

100/0
25/25
25/25
100/0
100/100

Make no mistake, I don't think this is going to go well. But you have to start somewhere, and rather here than at default.

Cheers.

Last edited by Village Idiot; 08-12-2007 at 09:10 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-12-2007, 08:57 PM   #2
Probably Insane

Village Idiot's Arena

Re: Slider Log

Special Note: All games are being played within my Dynasty, not Play Now.

Game: #6 Ohio State (me) @ #1 USC

Score: 27/14
First Downs: 15/10
Total Offense: 295/216
Rushes-Yds-TD: 42-109-2/12-70-2
Comp-Att-TD: 15-18-0/15-24-0
Passing Yds: 186/146
3rd Down: 9-17 (52%)/2-5 (40%)
Turnovers: 1/4
Fumbles Lost: 1/0
Intercepted: 0/4
TOP: 26:31/9:32

Observations:

Tackling on both sides was a little violent in terms of animations. But in terms of gameplay, the CPU still managed to break 9 tackles (only 12 rush attempts), while I managed to break a total of 6 (43 rush attempts). Clearly there's something off there.

I would have liked to run the ball a little better, but I was playing at the #1 team in the country, so I didn't mind as much. Furthermore, I don't really like having my RBA at 100; the guys are a little tough to control (too quick) and the juke specifically seems way over the top. I'm going to lower HUM RBA, but lower CPU TAK to offset things.

Unfortunately, I can't really assess the CPU's running attack, aside from the broken tackles. They just didn't run enough. But I think it would be fair to move their RBLK slider to 100 and drop the RBA to match that of the HUM.

Aside from the INTs (what else?) the CPU's passing was decent (15 of 24 is still 62%).

I think I should have allowed more yards and points to USC, but with the way I dominated the clock, anything goes, really. Again, tough to judge off so few number of plays.

Side note: The game was actually pretty good. I led 17-7 at the half and 20-7 after three; but they scored to cut it to 20-14 midway through the 4th, and so all of a sudden things were pretty intense. My TD to make it 27-14 came with less than a minute to play, and the drive included some sick plays.

Next game (changes in red):

HUM/CPU

Offense:

100/20
100/0
100/0
80/80
100/100

Defense:

100/0
25/25
25/25
100/0
75/50

Last edited by Village Idiot; 08-12-2007 at 09:39 PM.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:58 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 14

I think you will find the only way to get the cpu to run a reasonable amount of the time is to adjust the coaching strategy of the cpu controlled team your playing against. Several years ago a guy came up with new coach strategy settings for each team to get their run/pass ratios more accurate.

The only downside was you had to change them back after your played game because the adjusted strategy settings would screw up the stats if left for cpu vs cpu simmed games.

note: i'm still using jistic's sliders but I have increased cpu RBA and RUN BLK to 60. cpu runs better, but they still don't run enough?
Old 08-13-2007, 10:55 AM   #4
Probably Insane

Village Idiot's Arena

Yes, I remember that being a problem (er, solution) in the past. Thanks for the heads up. For the moment, though, I'm not sure I'm dissatisfied with the pass/run ratio. Which is to say, I wasn't complaining that the CPU didn't run enough, rather that because they ran so few times, I didn't get a chance to assess their running game. I was in the lead the whole game, and they really didn't have much success when they did run (I forgot to mention that they broke a 40-yarder, so their ypc was for all intents and purposes about 2.5) so it makes sense that they'd pass at a 2-1 clip, just as it makes sense that I ran at a 2-1 clip. It's actually kind of perfect that it came out like that when you think about it.

Thanks again, though. I'll definitely keep it in mind.

One thing I did want to mention is that I think I've come up with a fairly appropriate house rule for the INTs: no return yardage. I've found that if I just mentally treat the INTs as punts, as a standard change of possession, then it's simply much less annoying. No matter where it is on the field, there's a corresponding special teams play that could have put me there, so it's really not bad at all. Frankly, it's the pick-six (or close to it) that's the real problem in terms of effecting the outcome of games. Not to mention, such a house rule would be completely at our discretion; if a pick-six is just too phat at too big a moment, by all means, run it in. Or hell - run it backwards. That might be a little extreme, but so is 4 ints in the first half of what should otherwise be a great game.

Thoughts, anyone?

Last edited by Village Idiot; 08-13-2007 at 01:25 PM.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:09 PM   #5
Probably Insane

Village Idiot's Arena

Game: #15 Tennessee @ #4 Florida (me)

Score: 10/38
First Downs: 9/19
Total Offense: 180/316
Rushes-Yds-TD: 23-66-0/42-182-2
Comp-Att-TD: 16-26-0/11-13-2
Passing Yds: 114/134
3rd Down: 3-10 (30%)/4-8 (50%)
Turnovers: 6/3
Fumbles Lost: 1/2
Intercepted: 5/1
TOP: 11:58/24:07

Observations:

This one's actually pretty tough to assess, and I'll tell you why: Florida is an A+ across the board, and I could tell immediately - they were awesome, way better than Ohio State in my previous game. Tennessee scored their only TD on a scoop and score fumble on my first possession. They managed 3 points the rest of the way, to state the obvious.

The trouble is, I honestly feel like I was in the zone for the first three quarters. By the time the 4th rolled around, however, I could feel myself losing interest and, sure enough, I didn't score.

Long story short: superior team + great playcalling (imho) = blowout. I'm not exactly disappointed.

I am going to lower HUM RBA more (still a bit too fast overall) and I thought the UT defense was a tad too pedestrian. Since the main change from last game was the tackle slider, I small bump there is in order. CPU running needs more power; a drop in HUM TAK will attempt to adjust this.

Next Game:

Offense:

100/20
100/0
100/0
70/80
100/100

Defense:

100/0
25/25
25/25
100/0
65/65
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-13-2007, 03:20 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undefeated
Taking a page (no, outright stealing a page) from mudtiger's thread, I've decided to start a slider log thread of my own.

Premise I:

The CPU's throwing INTs is what it is. Unless there's a patch, it's just something we have to either accept or not play the game. So don't expect any miracles; even when I'm 'done' you're still going to see anywhere from 2-4 INTs per game from your defense. I acknowledge this going in. And, for the record, I do not believe the theory that the INT and KNDW sliders are reversed. Instead, I believe that neither slider does much of anything.

Premise II:

Human offense has never truly been a problem in this series. Guys are having some problems passing this year, but I agree with the general notion that this is simply a matter of practice, getting to know your playbook, and making proper reads, with the most important addition of the fact 'making proper reads' is different this year than in years past. It took me a while, but I'm finally starting to see that there's a big difference between when guys are truly open and when I think they're open - but when you know the difference, passing is that much easier. I've been completing a very high rate of my passes lately, even to the tune of having a game like 28 of 35 for 378 yards and 5 TDs. I don't think anyone's having much problem running the ball, especially after tweaks.

That said, human offense is not the problem. Per usual, it's about getting a proper attack from the CPU offense so that your defensive playcalls will make all the difference. There's nothing as bad as sitting back in pass defense all game and having the CPU still struggle to run. What's more, you don't want to sit in pass coverage all game long and still have the CPU picking you apart. Assuming that it is possible to get a proper balance here, and granting me my first premise, that's about the best we can hope for.

Sliders:

I've spent my last 12 games or so playing with Jistic's sliders (more or less default AA). I won each of them, and they were getting easier and easier. So, to begin with, I'll be giving Heisman another shot (though I have no reservations about returning to AA).

It's been my experience that Heisman is pretty *earmuffs* difficult, so for the first game I will just compose what I feel is the easiest possible configuration that 'makes sense' and go from there.

I will be playing with 9 minute quarters throughout.

HUM/CPU

Offense:

100/20
100/0
100/0
100/100
100/70

Defense:

100/0
25/25
25/25
100/0
100/100

Make no mistake, I don't think this is going to go well. But you have to start somewhere, and rather here than at default.

Cheers.

^
^
^
Do people make sliders to play realistic based on the team they are and the team they are playing against anymore? I will admit you gave some good stats but it doesn't mean anything if a d rated team can do that against an A+ team and that is exactly what would happend with the human settings like they are.

Not trying to flame if i sound like it then sorry.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:44 PM   #7
Probably Insane

Village Idiot's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by {}*tHe{:}Slider{:}gOd*{}
Do people make sliders to play realistic based on the team they are and the team they are playing against anymore? I will admit you gave some good stats but it doesn't mean anything if a d rated team can do that against an A+ team and that is exactly what would happend with the human settings like they are.

Not trying to flame if i sound like it then sorry.
I wouldn't call this a flame, no, but I do think you're missing the point of a slider log. I'll address the issue of what happens when a bad team plays a good one and vice versa when I come to it. For the moment, I'm playing head-to-head good teams.

The reason the sliders are easy is because I'm more inclined to win these test games than lose them. That is, it's 100 times better to work from 'too easy' toward 'done' than the other way around.

Last edited by Village Idiot; 08-13-2007 at 04:03 PM.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:14 PM   #8
Pro

Xx 74 xX's Arena

OVR: 11

I'd be happy to post stats for my game using these sliders, if ya don't mind.........but i'm not sure you're going to like it.

Personally, I was BLOWN OUT at the games' personality.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Sliders »