Home

Varsity Sliders - NOT the only way to fix the CPU INT problem...

This is a discussion on Varsity Sliders - NOT the only way to fix the CPU INT problem... within the NCAA Football Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-15-2007, 08:41 AM   #41
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75
Re: Varsity Sliders - NOT the only way to fix the CPU INT problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by parker002
Oh and FYI, the deep passing game simply doesn't exist in this game (save for the patched PS3 version, so I've heard). Has to do with ball trajectory being broken more than anything else...
The patched version didn't fix the cpu QB AI. They still don't throw deep. The patch just reduced your CBs ability to break on the ball to a more realistic manner. Your safeties will still get picks but I don't think you will see a CB get 10 picks in a season anymore unless they truly are a great player. Last year I had all 4 starters in my secondary make the AA list and none of them were close to a 90 and my SS was an injury fill in rated at 75. I'm only four games into my fifth year (all with the patch) and the cpu passing game is better. I'll hold judgment until I can check my stats out at the end.

I must say when I first read this thread it was on varsity and now its been edited to Heisman. Holy crap! Pretty big change. Personally, I've only played a few games on Heisman and some practice time with it but my passing game isn't good enough for that level. I also don't like how the cpu is super human at pass blocking. I honestly feel you have to put break block at 100 and cpu pass block at 0 to get a realistic rush but I'm not as good as you guys. I think it also depends what position you play as I rarely play as a DL so I try to get my cpu DL to play realistically. I'm usually a LB 80-90% of the time. The cpu never seems to drop passes, even with WR catch at 0 while your guys certainly will.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-15-2007, 09:58 AM   #42
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34

Using the pump fake, I am able to go deep. I actually don't mind that you have to pump fake first because you have to have really good protection to have enough time to pump fake then throw the ball. You can burn lesser teams with the deep ball. Overall the Human pasing game is pretty decent, just wish I could use the "Classic" Camera that was on the PS2.

The knockdown slider is a bit perplexing. I know that if you lower it for the AI, they are less likely to make a play on the ball. This is evident through deep passes, If knockdown is above 15, they will use their jet packs and knock the ball down. So I am sure it effects their jump on the ball for short routes. For the user, if you have it too low, they play soft zones and centerfield and sometimes the ball is thrown right to them. So I think it is best to have it high. I also think it may affect their tendency to go for the swat vs. try to catch the ball.

The running game seems pretty decent. I have it so its hard to break a long run, but definitely not impossible. Get stopped alot for 2 to 3 yard gains, but that happens alot in real life. One thing you got to remember is that runs of 20+ yards should not be commonplace, 1 to 2 a game and sometimes non are acceptable.

Bottom line, Interceptions ARE an issue. So is the automatic 20+ yard punt return. I have made my final sliders and will just have to play the game as it is and realize that this is NOT a simulation of college football, but rather just a football video games with some flaws.

Here are my FINAL sliders, I am just going to ride it out and play with these. Soon we'll be in basketball season full swing so I need to play football now instead of tweaking sliders every night.
Human/AI
QB 50/50
PB 100/0
WR 25/10
RB 45/50
RBK 65/70

DAWR 0/15
KDWN 90/5
INT 0/0
BB 55/50
Tack 55/50
Old 11-15-2007, 11:28 AM   #43
MVP

parker002's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
The patched version didn't fix the cpu QB AI. They still don't throw deep. The patch just reduced your CBs ability to break on the ball to a more realistic manner. Your safeties will still get picks but I don't think you will see a CB get 10 picks in a season anymore unless they truly are a great player. Last year I had all 4 starters in my secondary make the AA list and none of them were close to a 90 and my SS was an injury fill in rated at 75. I'm only four games into my fifth year (all with the patch) and the cpu passing game is better. I'll hold judgment until I can check my stats out at the end.

I must say when I first read this thread it was on varsity and now its been edited to Heisman. Holy crap! Pretty big change. Personally, I've only played a few games on Heisman and some practice time with it but my passing game isn't good enough for that level. I also don't like how the cpu is super human at pass blocking. I honestly feel you have to put break block at 100 and cpu pass block at 0 to get a realistic rush but I'm not as good as you guys. I think it also depends what position you play as I rarely play as a DL so I try to get my cpu DL to play realistically. I'm usually a LB 80-90% of the time. The cpu never seems to drop passes, even with WR catch at 0 while your guys certainly will.
This is actually the second thread. Yes, the first was Varsity, but after playing with it I wondered if setting QBA to 100 would fix the INT problem on every level.

It does.

The problem is that it works TOO good. After 6 games of my first dynasty with these sliders, CPU QBA 100, my team had ZERO INT's.

And yes, the CPU WR never drops passes. Like I told fistofrage yesterday, even with WR catch at 0 I still see them not only catch every ball, but make all kinds of spectacular catches.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:33 AM   #44
MVP

parker002's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by fistofrage
The knockdown slider is a bit perplexing. I know that if you lower it for the AI, they are less likely to make a play on the ball. This is evident through deep passes, If knockdown is above 15, they will use their jet packs and knock the ball down. So I am sure it effects their jump on the ball for short routes. For the user, if you have it too low, they play soft zones and centerfield and sometimes the ball is thrown right to them. So I think it is best to have it high. I also think it may affect their tendency to go for the swat vs. try to catch the ball.
I concur 100%. Human Knockdown should be high - I have mine at 100. CPU Knockdown should be low - I have mine at 0.

Quote:
Bottom line, Interceptions ARE an issue. So is the automatic 20+ yard punt return. I have made my final sliders and will just have to play the game as it is and realize that this is NOT a simulation of college football, but rather just a football video games with some flaws.
I think you may see the punt return situation improve some with your Run ability and Run block settings the way they are now. I've been playing with it and it seems to be providing some improvement by lowering RBA and turning up Run Block.

Quote:
Human/AI
QB 50/50
PB 100/0
WR 25/10
RB 45/50
RBK 65/70

DAWR 0/15
KDWN 90/5
INT 0/0
BB 55/50
Tack 55/50
These look pretty close to mine. I'm gonna update the thread starter later tonight once I have a chance to play with them some more.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:53 AM   #45
Hall Of Fame

I am glad to see you aren't getting any picks. I am, but I have been testing with Cinncy vs. FCS Midwest and MSU vs. UAB. So it shouldn't be unheard of to pick off those qb's a few times. I just don't want to see 6 ints. I am just going to play with these sliders and let the chips fall where they may. I put in close to 100 hours of playing on the PS2 version and never got close to completing a season because I would tweak and restart. I knew this version had some flaws when I bought it, so I am just going to use these and imagine sliders don't exist anymore.

Have you tried the pump fake bomb yet. I was shredding the FCS Midwest team as I should be able to. Hitting guys over the top in stride. By shredding I mean 2 or 3 per game. However, you can't do it repeatedly because thy play for it and you often don't have enough time to pump fake and then throw deep. I am OK with this though, it makes the deep ball a good risk/reward proposition as it should be.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-15-2007, 12:13 PM   #46
MVP

parker002's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by fistofrage
I am glad to see you aren't getting any picks. I am, but I have been testing with Cinncy vs. FCS Midwest and MSU vs. UAB. So it shouldn't be unheard of to pick off those qb's a few times. I just don't want to see 6 ints. I am just going to play with these sliders and let the chips fall where they may. I put in close to 100 hours of playing on the PS2 version and never got close to completing a season because I would tweak and restart. I knew this version had some flaws when I bought it, so I am just going to use these and imagine sliders don't exist anymore.
Yeah, the fact that we proved that it could be done (eliminate INT's altogether) gives us the ability to move back from there. Have you had any games with more than 3 INT's, even using the teams you're testing with? Obviously, Cinci SHOULD get some turnovers against an FCS team. My thing was that, after playing Temple and Baylor, with TWO impact safeties, I still had zero team INT's, which isn't any more accurate than having 6 a game.

Still, like I said, we proved that INT's can be eliminated altogether and that's a superb start.

Quote:
Have you tried the pump fake bomb yet. I was shredding the FCS Midwest team as I should be able to. Hitting guys over the top in stride. By shredding I mean 2 or 3 per game. However, you can't do it repeatedly because thy play for it and you often don't have enough time to pump fake and then throw deep. I am OK with this though, it makes the deep ball a good risk/reward proposition as it should be.
I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but I will.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:33 PM   #47
Hall Of Fame

How much will awareness effect Interceptions. Do you think having it at 0 is the best fix or does it play better at other settings.

I really want turnovers to be a GAME CHANGING event, not a regular happenstance.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:36 PM   #48
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by parker002
I concur 100%. Human Knockdown should be high - I have mine at 100. CPU Knockdown should be low - I have mine at 0.
This is a very interesting point you and fistofrage bring up. I have set both knockdowns to 0 based on my experience with how the cpu reacts. I do notice that my safeties are often playing soft and getting too many picks. I will try increasing the human knockdown slider and see how that affects things. With human knockdown at 100, how do you see the human DBs playing? Do they warp to the ball a lot? (I'm sticking with AA though.)

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Sliders »