Home

mudtiger 09 slider log

This is a discussion on mudtiger 09 slider log within the NCAA Football Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-17-2008, 12:02 PM   #25
MVP

mudtiger's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: mudtiger 09 slider log

I'm actually trying that out right now. Slowly raising run block to see what's going on. I'm up to 75 right now.

In years past, as run block goes up, the ability of the line to not only open holes and keep them open goes up, but the line will also push the D-line further and further away from the LOS while they are engaged.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-17-2008, 12:38 PM   #26
MVP

mudtiger's Arena

IF run block does work, it's very very subtle. Even at 100, there is no characteristic O-line push of the D-line off the line.

If it does do anything, the effects are so subtle that the difference between 0 and 100 is hard to pick up. The O-line doesn't seem to pick up any ability to engage faster, hold their engagement longer, push their man further down field, nor knock their man to the ground.

I tried messing with the cpu run block while holding the human run block constant and that made no difference either.

Inconclusive. Either the effects are so subtle that I can't pick up any difference, or doesn't work.

Pass block seems to be similar to run block, but not quite. What seems to be going on there is PB in general is dominant, so even if you set it at 0, you'll still get good protection. Setting it at 100 nets you better protection, but it's not a huge increase from 0 because both do a good job protecting the passer.

For PB, all I did was set break block for h/cpu to 50, then set PB to 100 and called a shotgun pass play for O and a simple man to man D play for D. Just snap and don't throw and watch the line interaction and count how long you have in the pocket until you get hit. Watch that for 10 minutes or so, then repeat with PB at 0.

They get to you quicker with PB at 0, but you still have plenty of time on most plays.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:04 PM   #27
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

I get the feeling that most of the sliders are too watered down with my limited time playing with them. If both pass and run block don't do much, does the break block slider work well?
Old 07-17-2008, 01:06 PM   #28
MVP

mudtiger's Arena

Watching the cpu run game in practice with various sliders, what's wrong with the cpu running game is the ghost juke. If the cpu runner would hit his holes and stay north south more, they'd pick up more yards on average.

Too many times it has yards it can pick up, but gives them up to juke for little reason.

Plus even with the run block slider at 100, no one can hold their block once the RB is even with or just past the engagement. This is an issue for the run game for human and cpu. Inability to hold blocks (or pancake in run block) makes running through the middle good for runs under 10 yards. If you want to pick up more than that you have to get to the outside. There are just too many defenders in the middle unblocked once you get past the LOS for runs up the middle to ever get huge yards.

The only way a blocker can keep his man engaged at all is by getting down field, then turning around to pick someone up from 'behind,' turning him at the line, or pancaking him which usually comes from a double team block. Turning + pancaking simply don't happen enough in the run game. I like what they were trying to do with this, the idea that a d linemen can break the engagement, otherwise it's usually holding, but when they all break it very quickly and very few linemen turn or pancake their man, the run game suffers.

I'm not looking for a huge increase in run blocking, but just a small amount would go along in way in helping. Something which usually can be taken care of with the run block slider, but not this year.

Last edited by mudtiger; 07-17-2008 at 01:09 PM.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:17 PM   #29
MVP

mudtiger's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
I get the feeling that most of the sliders are too watered down with my limited time playing with them. If both pass and run block don't do much, does the break block slider work well?
I think BB is like PB, there's a difference, but it's very small between 0 and 100. I think run block either doesn't work or is so watered down it might as well not work.

BB's a tough one to set too because you need high BB to overcome the dominant pass blocking, but you need low BB to allow for a run game. I'd lean towards low BB because no matter what you do, the pass blocking will be dominant.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:21 PM   #30
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34

For the run block it is very subtle. the outside running game on toss sweeps is an exercise in futility on default heisman. Even cranking up the run blocking doesn't help the sweep. Your RB still has to make a move before he turns the corner. I ran about 100 consective sweeps and had no runs over 20 yards and most were lucky to get back to the line with blocking cranked all the way up. The RBA slider on heisman needs to be moved up slightly is also the issue with the sweep plays.

I did notice with increased RB, I was able to get a few more holes between the takles. I took a quit hitter 59 yards to the house last night in which the center blocked a lb and the FB took on a safety. Right up the gut for the score.

To get success in the running game, the RB ability needs to be a little higher. 60 to 70 will do the trick.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:27 PM   #31
MVP

mudtiger's Arena

RB ability for the cpu is definitely controlled by the human RBA.

RBA is sort of like QBA in that it controls 2 things - not only does it control how quick the RB is, but also how often he jukes.

Set RBA to 100 and you'll have a juke machine. Set RBA to 0 and the guy just won't juke. If we could get the non juking behavior and some speed, the cpu run game would be a heck of a lot better instantly.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-17-2008, 01:43 PM   #32
MVP

mudtiger's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by fistofrage
For the run block it is very subtle. the outside running game on toss sweeps is an exercise in futility on default heisman. Even cranking up the run blocking doesn't help the sweep. Your RB still has to make a move before he turns the corner. I ran about 100 consective sweeps and had no runs over 20 yards and most were lucky to get back to the line with blocking cranked all the way up. The RBA slider on heisman needs to be moved up slightly is also the issue with the sweep plays.

I did notice with increased RB, I was able to get a few more holes between the takles. I took a quit hitter 59 yards to the house last night in which the center blocked a lb and the FB took on a safety. Right up the gut for the score.

To get success in the running game, the RB ability needs to be a little higher. 60 to 70 will do the trick.
It very well could be run block slider is just watered down, but there seems to be a fundamental problem in run blocking where the line doesn't try to turn their man enough or at all a lot of the time.

Take for example: Shotgun formation with 3 wide to the right, one to the left. HB is lined up strong side next to the qb. Play is a handoff sweep the weak side - left. D lines up dime and man to man, so the d is very open on the weak side. This is nearly the perfect situation for this play and it should have big play potential nearly every time it's run in this situation.

If the left tackle can just turn the defensive end and seal the outside, it should be lights out if the lone WR on that side can get any sort of decent block. The problem is the LT never seals the end. He just blocks straight forward when he should be using footwork to seal the end back to the inside.

I can even move my line to the inside to help the LT try to seal me and he doesn't. He always blocks straight up and allows the end to break off and get an attempt at the tackle.

Even when I slant the d line to go to the right (away from the play going outside to the left), the tackle actually tries to get into position to push me back to the outside. He'll stand up and try to run back to the inside and push the end to the outside. He should just give me a shove to the inside and then move on downfield and look for someone to hit or engage with outside leverage and pin the end.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Sliders »