Home

Old 07-17-2010, 12:12 AM   #25
MVP

OVR: 13
Re: SPEED?

I'm using playmakers sliders, Slow speed with 25 threshold. Perfect to me for college football.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-17-2010, 12:17 AM   #26
Aka."Footballforever"

RoyalBoyle78's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Dozier
I'm using playmakers sliders, Slow speed with 25 threshold. Perfect to me for college football.
LOL. that's what I switched to, works great so far.
N.Y Islanders
Miami Hurricanes

Twitter - @RoyalBoyle78
XBOX LIVE - Royalboyle78
PSN - RoyalBoyle78
Old 07-17-2010, 12:45 AM   #27
Rookie

OVR: 0

That makes sense, Megatron.

Now, I'm guessing that people lower the threshold to help the CPU offense. Still, that would make it tough to balance the human offense. You'd have to adjust the sliders quite a bit to make sweeps harder since it would be really simple to hit the edge at lower settings. But, if you adjust the sliders too much to make outside running harder for the human, then inside running becomes impossible - which isn't fun to me... And, slot receivers must just kill the defense with speed threshold lowered. Bye-bye LB, thanks for playing...

However, I fast sim defense. This is just more fun for me than beating my head against the wall trying to make the CPU run their offense without being broken in some way. And, this is the best way I've found for running/option CPU offenses to work properly. It is the most competitive way I've found to play the game. Plus, defense is boring.

(I also sim special teams for more realistic FG and kick return results.)

So, I'm really only considering the results/impact on my offense. Having a higher speed threshold lets the CPU LBs cover my slot guys and helps them recover from a bad defensive choice. It just 'feels' better to me. My star receivers on the outside are the most involved in my passing attack instead of the 3rd string slot guy. My TE's can pressure the D if the defense is stacking the outside or blitzing their safeties. Attacking the interior with the running game is just as rewarding as going outside (since the outside running is less effective). No more sweep, pitch, sweep, option, whee!

But, one of the great things about this game is the sliders. Since everyone can tailor it for their individual preferences.

My settings are pretty minimal:
AA, Normal game speed, 65 speed threshold
7 minute quarters (fast sim defense and special teams)
Lowered clipping to 40 since it was happening 2-3 times per game.
Auto Sprint: On
Human:
WR Catching 60
RB Ability 40
CPU:
Pass Coverage 25
Pass Rush 25*
Rush Defense 70
*At default of 50, I was getting hit 1-2 seconds after the snap. Now, I can generally use the 3 second rule when passing. Though, they still jump the snap occasionally and get a quick sack/hurry/fumble/interception. I'll probably have to adjust this and the Pass Coverage slider upwards as my players improve. But, it gives me realistic results for now.

That's it. My QB is passing at 57% with 12 touchdowns, 7 interceptions, and 11 sacks so far this season. My receivers drop the ball 1.5 times for every 7 receptions. (About 4 times per game.) My star running back (86 OVR) is averaging 5.9 yards per carry. I am 5-1 using a B- team against pretty similar opponents: Stanford, Boise State, Notre Dame, Cincinnati, etc. (B ranked strength of schedule). 4 of the 6 games have been decided by 7 points or less. So, it works for me.

Happy gaming everyone.

Last edited by ParagonX; 07-17-2010 at 12:53 AM.
Old 07-17-2010, 12:48 AM   #28
MVP

RahKhem's Arena

OVR: 11

I play at default, the animations may not always look smooth, but the speed of the game feels right. You can still leave with fast guys, so I didn't move the speed threshold either.
Old 07-17-2010, 01:29 AM   #29
Rookie

catfish9-5's Arena

OVR: 6

To me it seems the speed threshold only effects hum players. Played with slow / 25 , and my running backs are getting caught from behind with players with a lower speed rating. Defense is all over the place. Switched to normal / 50, same play and my RB out ran same defender. Tried slow / 50 and defense moving fast and my RB is running in a dream--Trying with all his little digital heart, and seems to be stuck in mud.

currently using playmakers sliders with slow / 65 and like the feel. Will play a few games to see.

Last edited by catfish9-5; 07-17-2010 at 01:52 AM. Reason: update:
Old 07-17-2010, 05:18 AM   #30
Pro

OVR: 11

as of 2 AM Pacific Time, i officially converted to slow speed... i'm worried it might make the running a little too easy but i still get a decent challenge out of the passing game out of the box
Old 07-17-2010, 07:29 AM   #31
Banned

DaTwolves21's Arena

OVR: 17

normal speed and 50 threshold
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-17-2010, 01:17 PM   #32
Rookie

Megatron2k7's Arena

OVR: 12

Below is one of my posts from quite a while ago after some testing on Madden 10 .

To test the threshold.... I first realized that the players are all just slower in general at the slow game speed. Normal is close, but, I wasn't getting realistic 40 times until I put it on Fast speed. I currently play on Normal speed, but for testing I used the fast speed to get those accurate times. I think now am going to start playing on Fast, and see how I can get the games to play out.

I went into practice, and did offense only with the Packers.

I handed my friend my controller, and I took out my stopwatch. I took a pass play out of a basic I formation and then he took turns taking control of various players on my offense. First was Greg Jennings. He has a speed rating of 93. His 40 time really didn't change much at all going from 0 - 100 threshold.

Next up was FB John Kuhn... speed rating of 71.... here's where the big differences start to show up.

On fast game speed, with 50 Threshold..... these are the 40 times I came up with.... human error included... but I ran each player many times to try to get as accurate as I could....

FB John Kuhn 71 speed rating...... high 4.8 - 4.9's Seems about right.

TE Jermichael Finley 79 speed........ 4.6's Seems about right.

WR Donald Driver 86 speed .......... high 4.4's - low 4.5's Seems about right again.

WR Greg Jennings 93 speed........ mid to high 4.3's Still Seems right yet again.

LT Chad Clifton 54 speed....... 5.4's Almost seems to low at first... but there are many linemen in the 60 speed range, and that looks like they would run about 5.0 - 5.3..... so I guess it looks good once again.

Now for the results at 0 Threshold......

FB John Kuhn 71 speed.......... 5.5's Way too slow...... hows he gonna lead block on the edge being that slow ???

TE Jermichael Finley 79 speed...5.1's Too slow.

WR Donald Driver 86 speed........4.5 - 4.6 's didnt change a lot, but definitely slowed him down enough from the 50 threshold to make him unrealistically slow against a fast CB.

WR Greg Jennings 93 speed...... mid to high 4.3's. Same as 50 threshold.

LT Chad Clifton 54 speed....... get ready for this one....lol....6.7 -6.8's...... way to slow....

Lastly... the 100 Threshold tests...

FB John Kuhn 71 speed........ 4.5's Way to fast.

TE Jermichael Finley 79 speed ....... high 4.4 - low 4.5's way too fast.

WR Donald Driver 86 speed........ had a few 4.3's but mostly Low 4.4's a bit faster than at 50 threshold, but not much different.

WR Greg Jennings 93 speed......... mid to high 4.3's yet again.

LT Chad Clifton 54 speed.......another laugher here...lol... 4.7's.... way too fast...

It appears as if on really high thresholds, you could stick one of your D-Linemen in coverage, and most would be able to run with a TE, FB, and even some RB's.....

These tests took quiet a while, and I know they are not 100% accurate times by any means, but they illustrate just how much the slower players are affected by the threshold slider.

Too low a setting, and your lineman on both sides of the ball will be too slow, along with your QB (in most cases), FB, and TE being too affected as well.

Too high, and it appears almost everyone is running sub 5.0 sec 40 yd dashes, and everyone is so close together in speed on the field, it takes away many strategic elements of the game.
Very unrealistic imo to have LB's always keeping up with WR's etc. etc....

Sorry for the long post. I hope those of you who see it, try going back to, (or stay on) 50 Threshold setting. It really does seem to be the only realistic threshold to use.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Sliders »