Home

Old 07-18-2010, 08:32 AM   #41
Rookie

EdgeCrusher's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: SPEED?

I'm with Zeke on this one.At default 50, I was seeing my 90 speed WR being run down by 75 speed LB's.This is after the catch is made and the WR was moving up-field.

After setting it to 30, I don't see that anymore.I'm all for a player on a certain play going all-out and running down someone.I still see that at 30 from time to time, but a player getting run-down when there is a 15-20 disparity in speed ratings should not be happening as much as I saw it at default 50.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-18-2010, 10:41 AM   #42
Twitch/YouTube: Fiddy14

Fiddy's Arena

OVR: 32

good stuff Megatron..

i just lowered it bc, why not? i put it at 0 bc it suppose to give ya seperation between players.

just like in the NHL game, they have a player seperation slider. making the skilled players stand out more than the 3rd and 4th liners. it worked.

thats what this basically does, makes the guys with more acceraltion and speed stand out, as they should.

i was worried that i would see way to many big plays etc with it all the way down and thats not the case at all.

but, all in all, to each their own. gotta enjoy the game ya know. great to see posts like yours bc it does get ya thinking.

bottom line, i wish EA would flat out say what would give ya the most realistic type game. i dont think they even know to be honest.
http://www.youtube.com/@Fiddy14

Favorite Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
New York Mets
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Browns
Notre Dame Fightin Irish
Liverpool FC
Old 07-18-2010, 11:48 AM   #43
Rookie

Megatron2k7's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
good stuff Megatron..

i just lowered it bc, why not? i put it at 0 bc it suppose to give ya seperation between players.

just like in the NHL game, they have a player seperation slider. making the skilled players stand out more than the 3rd and 4th liners. it worked.

thats what this basically does, makes the guys with more acceraltion and speed stand out, as they should.

i was worried that i would see way to many big plays etc with it all the way down and thats not the case at all.

but, all in all, to each their own. gotta enjoy the game ya know. great to see posts like yours bc it does get ya thinking.

bottom line, i wish EA would flat out say what would give ya the most realistic type game. i dont think they even know to be honest.

Thanks, and I agree.... I don't think they know either..... lol...

I did some testing last night..... and the results were surprising a little.....

It seems like the Threshold setting has less effect in NCAA 11 than it did in Madden 10..... so some of you were correct in saying my previous tests from M10 wouldn't carry over. It stilll does the same thing, of course, but just not so drastically. I think it's because in this years game, the Acceleration rating plays such a bigger role.

Go into practice mode, and do Offense only...... pick a formation with some varying speed and accel ratings at the skill positions. Send one of your backs in motion out to the slot, and send everyone on fly routes.

Watch the difference when the threshold is changed.

I did this once in Goal-Line offense, and replaced the third string TE to a back up RT with 52 speed just to get more variable speeds to judge.

Very high Threshold is really bad. Everyone just looks too similar. Even at the 50 yard mark of a straight line sprint, the 52 speed RT was only a yd or two behind an 80 speed TE.

Very low Threshold is not that good either, but better than the high setting. At 0 threshold, the 52 speed RT was totally smoked. At the 50 yd mark, he was behind by at least 12+ yds.

At default 50 Threshold, it seemed to look pretty normal to me. I could see the TE pulling away from the RT like expected, and still was ahead of him by at least 5 yds at the 50 yd mark.

It's really nice to see the Acceleration rating matter so much this year. I could see a big difference when subbing in various O-Lineman into the Third TE spot with different Accel ratings.

I'm not sure if it carries over to all Theshlold settings, but, at 50, I had one O-Lineman with something like 50 speed and 88 acceleration, and it was nice to see that at the ten yd mark, he was running right with the TE's, but then soon after started to fall way behind.

I know for a fact we didn't see that in last years NCAA or Madden.

Happy Gaming bro's.

I'm gonna stop all my rants about the damn Theshold , and just start focusing more time on getting a good, realistic playing slider set.

Peace.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:46 PM   #44
MVP

BoomerSooner11's Arena

OVR: 19

I've just been playing on default.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:27 PM   #45
Banned

bill2451's Arena

OVR: 16

yeah, I think the assumption that Madden 10 and NCAA 11 are tuned the same way is a mistake

personally, I came up with a chart based on average 40 yard dash times for each position (combine numbers) and average speed rating for each position (I didn't go through every school, but got a decent sample), to figure out about what the average 40 yard time should be for different ratings (for example, if the average WR 40 yard dash is 4.5, and the average WR speed rating is 90, then 90 should equate to 4.5... I also assumed that a 99 speed/acc player equaled a 4.25 40 yard dash). So then I ran 40 yard dashes (fly routes in offense only practice) to determine how much slower the game speed was compared to real life (on normal, the 99/99 player runs about a 4.34 40, which is significantly faster than that player was able to run in Madden 10. And only about 2.1% slower than what their real life counterpart would be). Once it is determined that the top line player runs 2.1% slower than real life, the goal is to get every other rating to run as close to 2.1% slower than their real life 40 times

in Madden 10, the tuning seemed very good as the numbers indicated that a threshold of 55 was the most accurate in producing realistic speeds for slow and fast guys (due to possible hand timing errors though, I give that setting a +/- 5)

in NCAA 11, the tuning seems to be further off though, and I've found that in order to reproduce realistic speeds, the setting must go much lower than 50 (0 is extreme, but 20 was about right)

Last edited by bill2451; 07-18-2010 at 01:32 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-18-2010, 03:26 PM   #46
Rookie

dawgs18's Arena

OVR: 5

I tested this and saw no difference.

I picked a Florida WR with 98 spd and 97 acc ? against a Rice DB with 87 spd and 84 acc ?

Selected spread formation with WR on go route and defense in a cover 1.

The DB was pretty much step for step with the WR no matter what threshold I set it at.

Anyone seen this?
Old 07-18-2010, 08:13 PM   #47
Rookie

Megatron2k7's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgs18
I tested this and saw no difference.

I picked a Florida WR with 98 spd and 97 acc ? against a Rice DB with 87 spd and 84 acc ?

Selected spread formation with WR on go route and defense in a cover 1.

The DB was pretty much step for step with the WR no matter what threshold I set it at.

Anyone seen this?

That's not the proper way to test the speeds of the players, unfortunately. When you see something like that happen, it has to do with the pass defense sliders in general, not the threshold setting. If your Cpu pass defense slider is too high, you'll see the CB and WR constantly jostling down the field, and the CB will refuse to let the WR go by him.

To see the threshold sliders effect very easily, you need to go into practice mode and change it to Offense only. You will need to judge the speed of your own offensive players against each other only.

Glad to see you in here Bill. I trust in your testing as well, and I remember the pain staking hrs spent on Madden last year. I used 50 threshold in M 10 , and your recommendation of 55 +/- 5 is so close that I know we are on the same page.

So Bill..... so far in your testing, you're seeing the threshold at about 20 is giving the best results....????

God, I was hoping to not have to change the threshold from default at all for this game. It makes me always wonder when I have a successful play, or make it around the corner on a run, if I should have made it, or was it a product of slowing down the slower players..... If enough testing proves that 20 ish is realistic.... then I wouldn't have those concerns.

Bill, if you're doing a lot of testing in this area, please keep us informed on your findings.

Oh.... one last thing Bill...... a 4.34 40 for a 99 speed guy in full pads is realistic. I'm glad you pointed this out.... as it shows that Normal game speed is indeed.... the realistic speed. Thanks.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:28 PM   #48
MVP

OVR: 20

What exactly does the speed thresh hold do?

I am playing at slow with speed threshhold at 35...what's the difference if it's at 35 or 100?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Sliders »