Home

Speed threshold...What gives best representation of College Football

This is a discussion on Speed threshold...What gives best representation of College Football within the NCAA Football Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-02-2010, 02:03 AM   #9
MVP

DallasRocks's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: Speed threshold...What gives best representation of College Football

I used speed threshold at 35 for a while and enjoyed it, but recently went to 0 and you can actually separate from slower defenders a lot more noticeably, I will be sticking with it a 0, since I don't want an average speed LB catching my fast RB
Old 08-02-2010, 07:59 AM   #10
Banned

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by eamuscatuli15
I'm just trying to find the most realistic playing of college football as possible...All the work people have been doing is great. i'm going to have to play some games on ZERO and also try out Oraeon's 65 threshold with the his pass coverage adjustment i guess to get a feel for things...

all the input and information on this subject the better...
I would suggest you try out versuz2's sliders, Football forevers sliders, and salutationsNJ's 0 threshold sliders. I may be posting a set too later on so stay tuned for those. I never understood all of the hype around SN's all-american sliders I would be playing with A- ranked teams and getting blown out by B- teams. with those sliders the pshychic dbs lbs and lineman are just way to far off of sim So I just gave those a rest. In my opinion If you cant stretch the field then the sliders arent sim and there are very few sliders that allow you to stretch the field with your speed receivers.
My slider set that I am developing right now are set to 5 threshold for all of the people saying that 0 is to low and im also experimenting with the fast setting since no one has even attempted to make any fast sliders.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:06 AM   #11
OS Brew Connoisseur

Motown's Arena

OVR: 41

Speed threshold should be played @ zero, but be *WARNED* you WILL be burnt by the opposing team's speedsters....which is the way it should be imo. I've been toasted by 10 or more yds, & there's NO recover.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-02-2010, 02:09 PM   #12
Banned

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motown
Speed threshold should be played @ zero, but be *WARNED* you WILL be burnt by the opposing team's speedsters....which is the way it should be imo. I've been toasted by 10 or more yds, & there's NO recover.
^^^^^Well if you got Greg Reid on your team your fine lol
Old 08-02-2010, 02:48 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 1
Icon1 Re: Speed threshold...What gives best representation of College Football

Threshold 0? Strange. I have been playing:
-threshold 65
-AA w/ minimal sliders (int 30 user, 35 AI)
-game speed slow
-8 min quarters.
Thinking of going to 9 min with higher AI def sliders.

Results:
-109 - 127 plays per game so far in 5 games vs AI & 2 games vs human.
-AI can actually get 100 yards rushing sometimes. This will most likely go down as I continue to play and adjust to the new gameplay.
-1 - 3 total Int per game (a little high).
-0 - 4 total sacks per game (fairly realistic, also leads to better rush stats).
-I don't always dominate with off rush (this will change as I play more).
-It is still MUCH easier to rush with blocking FB than Ace. Not really the case in real life, some of the best rushing teams are ace or spread.
-Still seems impossible to block punts and FG.
-PR are still difficult. Not as impossible as last year.
-AI punting seems about right so far (bad punters avg under 40 ypg, good punters get about 40 - 46 ypg).
-User punting seems a little high but my punter is good.

I think momentum is still too powerful (get an early lead and 85% of the time you win against AI or user, no matter what the teams). I wish there was a slider for that. I do not want to turn it off but it just seems overpowering. Way too much hinges on first 3 - 6 min.

It's still easy to beat computer. Oh, well. This will probably always be the case.

Haven't tried Heisman yet. In the past, Heisman = cheese. EVERY game has 5+ turnovers. &, no matter who I am my OL & DL get completely dominated. Heisman is difficult but not realistic IMO (but I haven't tried it this year).

Back to threshold. Pretty much all skill players at college and pro run 40 yard dash between 4.3 and 4.9. About 1/2 second difference at top speed over 40 yards.

I feel higher thresholds better represents this. When guys break big plays it is usually acceleration, angle, change of direction, & pursuit.

For example, Barry Sanders 'only' ran a 4.5 40, but he changed directions quickly and accelerated quickly. IOW, he was not always the fastest guy on the field but he looked like he was.

Typically when somebody "blows by" someone they are at top speed and the defender isn't. And if defender is running top speed there is danger of over pursuit (another cause of big plays).

WOW, tl;dr? Sorry. I am looking for realism, not just a challenge. If it is realistic then it will be difficult anyway.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:58 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motown
Perhaps, but then I get 200 yards rush per game. Too easy to dominate with weak RB and WR just because their speed is 93+.

I am tired of inflated scores too. Especially against user. Check stats & Vegas over/under. 60+ ppg is really high. A higher threshold has seemed to limit this. But I have only played a handfull of games so far.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:12 PM   #15
MVP

sirjam's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by moriluk
Perhaps, but then I get 200 yards rush per game. Too easy to dominate with weak RB and WR just because their speed is 93+.

I am tired of inflated scores too. Especially against user. Check stats & Vegas over/under. 60+ ppg is really high. A higher threshold has seemed to limit this. But I have only played a handfull of games so far.
Agreed. It's a shootout with it at 0.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-02-2010, 06:28 PM   #16
Pro

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by moriluk
Threshold 0? Strange. I have been playing:
-threshold 65
-AA w/ minimal sliders (int 30 user, 35 AI)
-game speed slow
-8 min quarters.
Thinking of going to 9 min with higher AI def sliders.

Results:
-109 - 127 plays per game so far in 5 games vs AI & 2 games vs human.
-AI can actually get 100 yards rushing sometimes. This will most likely go down as I continue to play and adjust to the new gameplay.
-1 - 3 total Int per game (a little high).
-0 - 4 total sacks per game (fairly realistic, also leads to better rush stats).
-I don't always dominate with off rush (this will change as I play more).
-It is still MUCH easier to rush with blocking FB than Ace. Not really the case in real life, some of the best rushing teams are ace or spread.
-Still seems impossible to block punts and FG.
-PR are still difficult. Not as impossible as last year.
-AI punting seems about right so far (bad punters avg under 40 ypg, good punters get about 40 - 46 ypg).
-User punting seems a little high but my punter is good.

I think momentum is still too powerful (get an early lead and 85% of the time you win against AI or user, no matter what the teams). I wish there was a slider for that. I do not want to turn it off but it just seems overpowering. Way too much hinges on first 3 - 6 min.

It's still easy to beat computer. Oh, well. This will probably always be the case.

Haven't tried Heisman yet. In the past, Heisman = cheese. EVERY game has 5+ turnovers. &, no matter who I am my OL & DL get completely dominated. Heisman is difficult but not realistic IMO (but I haven't tried it this year).

Back to threshold. Pretty much all skill players at college and pro run 40 yard dash between 4.3 and 4.9. About 1/2 second difference at top speed over 40 yards.

I feel higher thresholds better represents this. When guys break big plays it is usually acceleration, angle, change of direction, & pursuit.

For example, Barry Sanders 'only' ran a 4.5 40, but he changed directions quickly and accelerated quickly. IOW, he was not always the fastest guy on the field but he looked like he was.

Typically when somebody "blows by" someone they are at top speed and the defender isn't. And if defender is running top speed there is danger of over pursuit (another cause of big plays).

WOW, tl;dr? Sorry. I am looking for realism, not just a challenge. If it is realistic then it will be difficult anyway.
You should see my threshold slider post. It sets realistic threshold at 65 to 70. You are totally right that blown coverages result in those plays. The game is much harder at 65-70 but if you decrease pass coverage to 40 or 45 there will be blown plays. At default of 50 there are rarely blown coverages.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Sliders »