Home

Speed threshold...What gives best representation of College Football

This is a discussion on Speed threshold...What gives best representation of College Football within the NCAA Football Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football > NCAA Football Sliders
WWE 2K22 Trailer Announcement and Breakdown
EA Sports PGA TOUR to Exclusively Have All Four Majors
Next-Gen Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2: Is the Upgrade Worth It?
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 08-03-2010, 04:20 PM   #33
MVP

sirjam's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: Speed threshold...What gives best representation of College Football

Quote:
Originally Posted by FootballForever
My man, no matter how you cut the cheese, I doesn't matter what slider set your using, at the end of the day you are still playing on Varsity.
That is true. FF you do good work an because of that I will try zero again. I'm nt a big slider guy so I am playing default heisman with threshold at 65. The reason is because at zero I was jus scoring to easy. The slot guy is always open over the middle on a slant or something of that nature because the linebacker gets burnt. Now in a go route yes this should happen but on anything elase the lb would be able to cut him off by using angles. I haven't seen that on zero. But I will try again.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:36 PM   #34
Aka."Footballforever"

RoyalBoyle78's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjam
That is true. FF you do good work an because of that I will try zero again. I'm nt a big slider guy so I am playing default heisman with threshold at 65. The reason is because at zero I was jus scoring to easy. The slot guy is always open over the middle on a slant or something of that nature because the linebacker gets burnt. Now in a go route yes this should happen but on anything elase the lb would be able to cut him off by using angles. I haven't seen that on zero. But I will try again.
Like others have stated, try messing with the Coverage slider, I may do work on this later and do some testing.
N.Y Islanders
Miami Hurricanes

Twitter - @RoyalBoyle78
XBOX LIVE - Royalboyle78
PSN - RoyalBoyle78
Old 08-03-2010, 05:20 PM   #35
Rookie

SincerelYourz's Arena

OVR: 3

any doubters should try what i call "the deep fly test"

*i had auburn vs. auburn in practice mode
*spotted the ball at my 15 yard-line
*i had an auburn receiver with 85-89 and around 91 acceleration run the deep fly route

*both of Auburn's DBs have 92-95 speed rating, but around 85 acceleration

* the receivers would get separation coming off the line of scrimmage

* this is where the magic happens

* as the ball was in the air, you could see the faster DBs close the gap and shut down the play....a single tear ran down my face.

I then ran the slant route

when in man to man coverage:

* the receiver toast the linebackers...BUT get caught by the faster secondary

when in zone coverage it was crazy:

* sometimes the WR would get open and then caught by a faster DB
* sometimes LB would play his zone perfectly and swat the ball or get the int
* sometimes a safety would jump in and shut down the route...must have been adaptive AI

Last edited by SincerelYourz; 08-03-2010 at 10:49 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-03-2010, 05:52 PM   #36
Hall Of Fame

Playmakers's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA1NT401
Playing with Threshold at Zero and using PMs Varsity sliders with some tweaks to the CPUs side...At Zero, i have scored 55..68 and 74pts with PITT. Throwing for over 400yds and rushing for over 300yds in each game.

Gave up 40...47 and 41 pts in those 3 games. So if you keeping track, thats FINAL scores of 55-40...68-47 and 74-41...Goofy to say the least. Most drives are 3-4 plays and GONE for the TD.

8mins BTW....Zero makes the gap in speed too much for my taste.

At 35...None of the above was happening especially in back to back to back games.

Played Cinn, LSU and WV....

What sliders are u guys using with ZERO threshold? I ask mainly due to the fact mine are heavily favoring the CPU. Prior to changing the threshold, i was not seeing scores like the ones i listed.
You basically just answered your own question on Varsity level you don't need threshold at 0 because the player speed seperation isn't that big of a problem on Varsity...it's probably the MOST REALISTIC SEPERATION in the game already out of the box because player speed is captured in a more realistic manner.

That is why 0 speed threshold would work best on Heisman because you don't already have that realistic seperation out of the box on that level.

The reason why the games opened up for you when you went from 35 threshold down to 0 is because all you did was widen the gap more than you needed for player speed seperation on this level.

It was no coincedence your scores jumped up so high once the threshold was reduced down because it IMPACTED player pursuit ratings aswell....You see there are ratings that are effected by each slider in this game and threshold effects player pursuit ratings more than any other slider. That is something no one seems to mention because I don't think many people realize that every Player has a Pursuit rating in the game assigned to them by EA...

Player Pursuit is the ability of the defender to pursue the ball......It is a rating that has been in the game since it arriveg on Next Gen. The only reason I know this because I've spent years tweaking player pursuit ratings from NCAA 07 up to now and I see how it makes the defenders react to the ball.

The reason why NCAA 09 was bad out the box and most people complained about the player pursuit within the game is because EA made the speration factor way too high and to top it off their player pursuit ratings were way too low that year.

That issue in 09 could have been fixed simply by increasing the player pursuit ratings to better combat the seperation on the field that the offensive players were getting. Now in NCAA 11 IMO when you lower threshold back down to 0 your asking for wide open gameplay.

The sliders me and DereckfromOS created were never meant to be played with 0 threshold that is why my "RBA SLIDER" is close to the speed threshold I'm using.....I've mentioned this a few times already in my slider thread that "RBA SLIDER" counters threshold on offense and Pursuit/Player Speed takes a hit on defense.

This my created version of Chuck Muncie for Cal Bears on my Alumni file....Muncie has only 80 speed rating in the game.

http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/27899631

This is with Speed Threshold at 25 and RBA at 45....that gives him about 4 yard advantage over that DL who was chasing him at about 65 speed in the game. You can clearly see Muncie was never threatend to be caught from behind by the slower DL even though Muncie only has 80 speed. The level itself as stated earlier already renders the best speed seperation amngst players.

Follow some the Greatest College Football players of All Time in NCAA Football 14

Last edited by Playmakers; 08-03-2010 at 06:15 PM.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:26 AM   #37
Rookie

eamuscatuli15's Arena

OVR: 7

Enjoyed another good game last night with speed threshold at 65 with cpu pass cov adj back to 40 (as per Oraeon)...right now using those adjustments as well as his coaching slider adjustments with the overall sliders by SN...

23-17 OT win by WVU(me) at Marshall(cpu)...didn't really establish a good running game with devine out of the shotgun, probably need more motion to set up favorable blocking situations. But numbers looked pretty good across the board and the Defensive play stood out in this game...

Playing another late tonight when i get home from work...speed thresh at 65 with cpu pass cov at 40 is working real well. still getting the occasional deep ball and seeing breakaway situations where guys are caught only if cpu has the angle.

looking good as of now...when sliders are tuned then who knows...
NFL: Kansas City Chiefs
NCAA Football: Nebraska Cornhuskers
HS Football: Rolla High School Bulldogs '95 (12-1)

Old 08-04-2010, 01:52 AM   #38
MVP

Amoo316's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by FootballForever
LOL, I agree with ya Motown....

You guys need to understand something people say the NFL is fast, but I think College football is just as fast, my opinion.

Keep reading this over and over again
The minimum threshold slider adjusts the speed of the fastest and the slowest players. If you put the slider lower, it makes the fast players faster and the slow players slower. If you put the slider higher, it makes the fast players slower and the slow players faster. It basically changes the speed difference of the players.

Now Lets get to Threshold, first and for most I play on Normal speed because I think the game feels and play the best at normal. Now Threshold I have set to zero for two reasons. One- it feels just right and Two- is the most realistic IMO.

I can see where guys have there threshold below 50, that's cool with me, because it makes the game better. Now I have tried Threshold hold at many different levels even the settings over 50. Now the game just doesn't play right with threshold over 50, again my opinion.

This is coming from lost of testing, at 65 I had CB and Safeties sating with my 95 and faster receivers, now that just not real for me nor cool. I want to beat the slower CB and SS and I want my 93 speed RB beating the 82 speed LB and Vice Verse for the AI doing it to me. That's real to me, College football is a wide open game and that's how it is played every week. The fact that guys using 65 is just not real to me, 65 will now make those slower players now keep up with your faster players much easier and Vice Verse to me is unrealistic. I want my fast players stay true to there speed and I want the AI's fast players staying true to there speed. This will then just make the game better for me, cause now it forces me to doubble a guy or play back on my Defense with my safeties and CB's against those fast receivers, it just makes you pick plays better and understand the game better.

Just think of my theory and try to understand why ZERO is the best.
I completely respect what you are saying and I felt the same way about it when I read it "out of the box". First thing I did was set that puppy to 0 and go to town. Then when I started playing I had to sit back and ask myself this question.

If I had a WR run a Streak with a 94 speed and a corner covering him with a 5 yard head start and an 88 speed, considering the same acceleration, how many yards would there be between the two by the time the QB had to throw the ball, let's say 4 seconds?

With the speed setting at 0 the result in game does not give a realistic result when you compare it side by side to the actual math involved. WR probably runs a 4.34 CB a 4.42 maybe in that scenario. How much separation do you really think there is going to be?

This result gets further exploited when you're talking about the underneath passing game. Even if I have a LB with a 81 spd (I recruit Coverage LBs since I run the nickle mostly), that would still give that linebacker a 40 time in the neighborhood of 4.6 I'm assuming.

You are right about the game in real life being very fast, but with a speed threshold of 0 it magnifies the difference. I realize the sliders are numbered 0 to 100, but when you consider that EA's baseline for sliders is 50 and 50 is their "0", that really means you are taking their default setting for speed difference and moving that slider to -50.
NBA: Heat
NCAA: Florida & Miss State
NFL: Whichever team currently has the most of my favorite college players
NHL: Caps
Tennis: The Joker & Sloane Stevens
WWE: Dean Ambrose
Misc: Anybody wearing a Team USA jersey
Old 08-04-2010, 05:35 AM   #39
Text Battle Rec: 36-4

JerzeyReign's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmakers
You basically just answered your own question on Varsity level you don't need threshold at 0 because the player speed seperation isn't that big of a problem on Varsity...it's probably the MOST REALISTIC SEPERATION in the game already out of the box because player speed is captured in a more realistic manner.

That is why 0 speed threshold would work best on Heisman because you don't already have that realistic seperation out of the box on that level.

The reason why the games opened up for you when you went from 35 threshold down to 0 is because all you did was widen the gap more than you needed for player speed seperation on this level.

It was no coincedence your scores jumped up so high once the threshold was reduced down because it IMPACTED player pursuit ratings aswell....You see there are ratings that are effected by each slider in this game and threshold effects player pursuit ratings more than any other slider. That is something no one seems to mention because I don't think many people realize that every Player has a Pursuit rating in the game assigned to them by EA...

Player Pursuit is the ability of the defender to pursue the ball......It is a rating that has been in the game since it arriveg on Next Gen. The only reason I know this because I've spent years tweaking player pursuit ratings from NCAA 07 up to now and I see how it makes the defenders react to the ball.

The reason why NCAA 09 was bad out the box and most people complained about the player pursuit within the game is because EA made the speration factor way too high and to top it off their player pursuit ratings were way too low that year.

That issue in 09 could have been fixed simply by increasing the player pursuit ratings to better combat the seperation on the field that the offensive players were getting. Now in NCAA 11 IMO when you lower threshold back down to 0 your asking for wide open gameplay.

The sliders me and DereckfromOS created were never meant to be played with 0 threshold that is why my "RBA SLIDER" is close to the speed threshold I'm using.....I've mentioned this a few times already in my slider thread that "RBA SLIDER" counters threshold on offense and Pursuit/Player Speed takes a hit on defense.

This my created version of Chuck Muncie for Cal Bears on my Alumni file....Muncie has only 80 speed rating in the game.

http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/27899631

This is with Speed Threshold at 25 and RBA at 45....that gives him about 4 yard advantage over that DL who was chasing him at about 65 speed in the game. You can clearly see Muncie was never threatend to be caught from behind by the slower DL even though Muncie only has 80 speed. The level itself as stated earlier already renders the best speed seperation amngst players.

You and I have the same thought process. I've mentioned it in my sliders thread that all sliders effect something else. You probably are aware of sliders that must be tweaked "two at a time", for instance QB Accuracy and WR catch. They are connected to each other. Alot of these guys with their 'research' are failing to mention that and I never understand why. If I had time (which I should have shortly) I'd love for some of the known slider makers to get together and write an article together and share our theories with the rest of the world. The forum I normally roam and OS are partners so that would be a great 'bonding' experience. Especially since your on the Varsity end of the spectrum and I'm on the Heisman side.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:58 AM   #40
Rookie

OVR: 0

I've been tweaking some 0 threshold sliders of my own for a while now, trying to find a challenging but realistic sim slider set. Here they are:

Quarter Length: 8 Minutes
Difficulty: All-American
Speed Threshold: 0

Rule Sliders
Offsides: 70
False Start: 70
Holding: 55

User Sliders
QB Accuracy: 15
Pass Blocking: 80
WR Catching: 40
RB Abilty: 100
Run Blocking: 20
Pass Coverage: 50
Pass Rush: 45
Interceptions: 70
Rush Defence: 45
Tackling: 45
FG Power: 15
FG Accuracy: 20
Punt Power: 25
Punt Accuracy: 70
Kickoff Power: 15

CPU Sliders
QB Accuracy: 20
Pass Blocking: 55
WR Catching: 45
RB Abilty: 100
Run Blocking: 55
Pass Coverage: 65
Pass Rush: 20
Interceptions: 70
Rush Defence: 65
Tackling: 70
FG Power: 15
FG Accuracy: 80
Punt Power: 25
Punt Accuracy: 70
Kickoff Power: 15

Any comments or suggestions feel free to email me [email protected]

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football > NCAA Football Sliders »