Home

Reason for Lowering Speed Threshold

This is a discussion on Reason for Lowering Speed Threshold within the NCAA Football Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-10-2010, 05:52 AM   #25
Rookie

BoomerSooner420's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Reason for Lowering Speed Threshold

I have tested in practice mode quite a bit, on AA 50 thresh there's no visable difference between 90 and 88 speed, with 0 thresh the 88 speed may as well be 50 when being chased by the 90, and at 25 thresh each point of difference in speed rating is about half a step. I'm not sitting here with a stop watch timing the pixels going across my screen, I'm just watching the animations. Not sure what you mean by "accurate" or why you emphasized that word, I never used it. I was just saying that it's the best representation based on the game physics. You're not going to get real life 40 times or real life seperation times, but you can make it so that a guy that's just barely slower than another really is just a little bit slower on the field and not just on the ratings screen.

I think alot of ppl are comparing offensive skill positions to defensive linemen and such and thinking that will give an accurate setting but really you need to measure 2 players who are only seperated by a point or 2, using the field as a built in measuring tape. Once you see this tiny little difference displayed as such on the field, then every other player, regardless of rating difference will play to the proper speed based on the world in which they exist, which isn't the real world. For me it was 25, even before i confirmed it with the math done by people here. Above 25 on AA and you can't see a difference between 88 and 90 at all as far as i can tell. The 88 speed player will maintain the same gap even though the chaser is 90.

There are plenty of reasons to use other settings though, to make up for bad cpu playcalling might be an example, or maybe the there's really just too much difference between slow linemen and fast recievers, but that would be trying to correct a ratings problem with the threshold slider, and I don't think it works quite that way. Keep in mind that even at the highest threshold setting on AA, a slower player cannot catch a faster player from behind, they will simply run at the same speed. So changing defensive sliders to adjust reaction time and play recognition would do more for making RB's look faster than DL's than threshold would. I don't play on heisman because the CPU is juiced, and that means that you actually could make slow cpu players catch faster human players on heisman. Same thing in reverse for varsity.

Edit:
I tested in practice mode throwing a swing pass to my speed back with a CB blitz on that side, allowing the 88 speed RB to get outside of the 90 speed CB. As soon as the ball is in the air the CB breaks off of the blitz and chases the RB. Then I watch the distance between them from the point they are both full speed until the RB is caught from behind or scores a TD. It's not really an exact science, but my games look and feel more natural and realistc now. If I move the threshold in either direction that all goes away.

Last edited by BoomerSooner420; 08-10-2010 at 06:30 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2010, 02:19 PM   #26
CPT
Banned

CPT's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: Reason for Lowering Speed Threshold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerSooner420
Edit:
I tested in practice mode throwing a swing pass to my speed back with a CB blitz on that side, allowing the 88 speed RB to get outside of the 90 speed CB. As soon as the ball is in the air the CB breaks off of the blitz and chases the RB. Then I watch the distance between them from the point they are both full speed until the RB is caught from behind or scores a TD. It's not really an exact science, but my games look and feel more natural and realistc now. If I move the threshold in either direction that all goes away.

Not saying anyone is wrong - I used straight line speed to figure my numbers and am only sharing because it is part of my real-life job (yes...****nning potential pro athletes thru 40's - still not an exact science as I am doing it from home, not work, but fairly close) so I am fairly decent at it.

But in the end...it is whatever makes us all happy. One person's reality is another person's make-believe......that's why there are sliders there to begin with.

Last edited by CPT; 08-10-2010 at 02:21 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Sliders »