Home

Other slider makers: Suggestions on getting more short passes

This is a discussion on Other slider makers: Suggestions on getting more short passes within the NCAA Football Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-08-2010, 07:20 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 6
Other slider makers: Suggestions on getting more short passes

Does anyone have a suggestion how to get this to occur? I am getting accurate game stats in yardage for pass and run but not in a realistic way. After the patch my CPU QB % (50-55%) is down too low but the yards per catch is too high (15-20 Yd per catch). If I up QB accuracy it will only make this worse. I need more short passes (higher % completion) and less deep passes (reduces YPC). The offensive aggression slider only seems to affect simulation statistics. I am currently planning to either increase QB accuracy and Coverage (but may not change deep plays only increase coverage sacks) or increase coverage and decrease QB accuracy.

If anyone has this figured out let me know. It is the only hangup I have on my slider set.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-08-2010, 09:30 AM   #2
MVP

youALREADYknow's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: Other slider makers: Suggestions on getting more short passes

Pass rush is the most important aspect of the passing game IMO.

If you increase the pass rush, then you have less time for deep routes to develop.

If you decrease the pass rush, then you can usually wait for pass coverage to break down.

The actual pass coverage may not change much but your decision making will.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:19 PM   #3
Pro

That true for a human but all it does to the CPU is make them get coverage sacks and make bad passes. As I increase pass rush above 60 sacks go from ~2 per game to 4-5 (realistic in NFL but not in the NCAA for C level teams).
Old 09-08-2010, 12:45 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 20

I think increasing the human pass coverage makes the CPU take less shots down field.

Playmakers would be a good one to ask.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:44 AM   #5
Pro

Thanks for the input guys. I increased the speed threshold to 65 and the pass coverage sliders to 60 and after watching several college games I had decreased the 4 man pass rush (college teams stink) but took to back to 60 again (the point at which there are too many sacks). The Yards per catch came down to realistic values. I think it is a combination of coverage and pass rush that mattered most. There were still big passes downfield with this but I also decreased QB % to 45 and have realistic completion percentages and passing appearance so far.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-09-2010, 11:51 PM   #6
Hall of Fame

JohnDoe8865's Arena

OVR: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oraeon1224
Thanks for the input guys. I increased the speed threshold to 65 and the pass coverage sliders to 60 and after watching several college games I had decreased the 4 man pass rush (college teams stink) but took to back to 60 again (the point at which there are too many sacks). The Yards per catch came down to realistic values. I think it is a combination of coverage and pass rush that mattered most. There were still big passes downfield with this but I also decreased QB % to 45 and have realistic completion percentages and passing appearance so far.
Oraeon1224, I was using your sliders before patch #3 as I felt you took everything into account and gave me a realistic experience with NCAA 11. Would you please post any adjustments that you have made since the patch?

NFL - Carolina Panthers
NBA - Charlotte Hornets
MLB - Cincinnati Reds
College Basketball - Wake Forest
NCAA Football - Appalachian State
Old 09-10-2010, 01:21 AM   #7
Pro

I am almost done testing my newest slider set after patch 3. I will post an update in the statistics in sliders thread. So far it is working very well but I am getting worked over by the CPU with my mid level team (as I should be). I am still not entirely happy with yards per catch but have it down to around 12 yards per catch with QB % of 60's.

The biggest breakthrough I had was while watching college football this week. I counted the pass rush for mid level teams (around 6 seconds) and the reasons for big plays. In every game I watched the big plays weren't recievers beating the defense (which many seem to feel is missing in the game), rather the big plays were from missed tackles. I counted the number of missed tackles and particularly in the mid level and lower teams it was shocking. I suddenly realized that when I play NCAA I get upset with missed tackles but there are really far too few of them at default. By decreasing the tackle slider to 45 and increasing the running back slider to 55 it is more frustrating but it looks a lot more like the real game including big running and pass plays. A missed tackle on an outside run or middle depth pass leads to the wide open touchdown and looks much more like a Saturday game.

One other warning, since patch number three holding is happening much more often. My test games were averaging >100 yards of penalties most of it holding. I wouldn't recommend having this above 50 now.

Now if we could only petition EA to fix the pancake block (or lack there of) issue.
Old 09-10-2010, 01:56 AM   #8
Hall of Fame

JohnDoe8865's Arena

OVR: 59

Thanks Oraeon. That's a pretty good observation and stuff like that is why I await your full set of sliders to start a dynasty.

NFL - Carolina Panthers
NBA - Charlotte Hornets
MLB - Cincinnati Reds
College Basketball - Wake Forest
NCAA Football - Appalachian State

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Sliders »