Home

CPU vs CPU Sliders (based off the Coach Mode Sliders)

This is a discussion on CPU vs CPU Sliders (based off the Coach Mode Sliders) within the NCAA Football Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-10-2010, 11:54 AM   #25
MVP

youALREADYknow's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: CPU vs CPU Sliders (based off the Coach Mode Sliders)

I'll be testing CPU/CPU for the next few days and will post game results when complete.

My personal opinion about QBA: It probably needs to be 40. There are too many INTs in your games. Raise pass defense to compensate and I doubt you'll see 70% completion percentages.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-10-2010, 12:14 PM   #26
Banned

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by youALREADYknow
I'll be testing CPU/CPU for the next few days and will post game results when complete.

My personal opinion about QBA: It probably needs to be 40. There are too many INTs in your games. Raise pass defense to compensate and I doubt you'll see 70% completion percentages.
In the last 3 games I posted for Keenum, he threw 131 passes againts good defenses. Out of those 131 passes, 5 were intercepted. Thats 1 interception for every 26 attempts. Last year he threw an interception 1 out of every 33 attempts but that was against weaker competition. Again, 4 of those INTs in the past 3 games I posted was against a team with an A defense that has a good pass rush. So, it shouldnt be as easy as it was in conference USA last year.

Also, when it comes to INTs, is QB ACC really the issue or is it QB decision making, which would seem to relate to Awareness more than QB ACC?

Edit-- BTW, I looked up his game logs from last year. It looks like the toughest defense Keenum played against was possibly Mississippi State. Against Mississippi State, he averaged 1 INT for every 26 attempts. Where the game is concerned, Im guessing North Carolina's defense is better than Miss States was in 09.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...146919/gamelog

Im open to whats best but when I watch these games, Im liking what Im seeing at 35. When Im watching games, there are some passes that are off, which is good. And if the defense gets a good pass rush, the QB tends to struggle more, which is how it should be. And where the numbers are concerned, I think theyre actually quite reasonable.

Last edited by TeddyG; 09-10-2010 at 12:31 PM.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:28 PM   #27
MVP

youALREADYknow's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyG
In the last 3 games I posted for Keenum, he threw 131 passes againts good defenses. Out of those 131 passes, 5 were intercepted. Thats 1 interception for every 26 attempts. Last year he threw an interception 1 out of every 33 attempts but that was against weaker competition. Again, 4 of those INTs in the past 3 games I posted was against a team with an A defense that has a good pass rush. So, it shouldnt be as easy as it was in conference USA last year.
The problem with your logic is that you're comparing video game statistical averages to real world stats. The only statistical averages that matter for dynasty mode are the statistics that the simulation engine produces.

If you simulate an entire season for Case Keenum in NCAA 11 then he will not throw an INT every 33 attempts. He has averaged an INT every 80 attempts in simulated NCAA 11 seasons.

I wish EA/Tiburon did a better job at producing real world averages but we have to work with what we're given at this point. Another example is that running backs average somewhere between 3.5 to 5.5 YPC over the course of a simulated NCAA season instead of the 4.0 to 7.0 range seen in real games.

You may be able to still use QBA at 35, but INTs need to be toned down somehow. Case Keenum is an extreme on the spectrum. Look at the other extreme with low-end QB's like FAU and UAB and you'll see those QB's throwing INTs in bunches even against mediocre defenses.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:38 PM   #28
Banned

Quote:
The problem with your logic is that you're comparing video game statistical averages to real world stats. The only statistical averages that matter for dynasty mode are the statistics that the simulation engine produces.

If you simulate an entire season for Case Keenum in NCAA 11 then he will not throw an INT every 33 attempts. He has averaged an INT every 80 attempts in simulated NCAA 11 seasons.

I wish EA/Tiburon did a better job at producing real world averages but we have to work with what we're given at this point. Another example is that running backs average somewhere between 3.5 to 5.5 YPC over the course of a simulated NCAA season instead of the 4.0 to 7.0 range seen in real games.

You may be able to still use QBA at 35, but INTs need to be toned down somehow. Case Keenum is an extreme on the spectrum. Look at the other extreme with low-end QB's like FAU and UAB and you'll see those QB's throwing INTs in bunches even against mediocre defenses.
Sorry, but 1 INT out of every 80 attempts is exactly what I DONT WANT in games. Also in my games, he wasnt going against Conf USA defenses.

If North Carolina's defense can make Keenum struggle in one out of 2 games, then lesser QBs should also struggle against North Carolina's defense. And if/when they do, I wouldnt worry about it. It shouldnt be a cakewalk for lesser QBs when playing against good defenses.

In one of my earlier games, Cals QB struggled against UNC's defense. But then he went on to light up Houston's defense. I like that. I also like how in the two UNC-Houston games, Keenum was barely 50% in one game and over 60% in the other game. There should be some variability. Playing against a good defense, should mean that a good QB might struggle and it shouldnt be a certainty that he will. There should be some variability there.

Last edited by TeddyG; 09-10-2010 at 12:42 PM.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:42 PM   #29
MVP

youALREADYknow's Arena

Quote:
Sorry, but 1 INT out of every 80 attempts is exactly what I DONT WANT in games. Also in my games, he wasnt going against Conf USA defenses.

If North Carolina's defense can make Keenum struggle in one out of 2 games, then lesser QBs should also struggle against North Carolina's defense. And if/when they do, I wouldnt worry about it. It shouldnt be a cakewalk for lesser QBs when playing against good defenses.
That's fine for personal preference, but I'm letting you know that you're not going to see any kind of comparison to simulated games which means your statistics will be very different from the CPU's in dynasty mode. User CB's will have far more INTs and QB's will throw far more INTs.

In Play Now games I'd agree with you 100%.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:49 PM   #30
Banned

Quote:
That's fine for personal preference, but I'm letting you know that you're not going to see any kind of comparison to simulated games which means your statistics will be very different from the CPU's in dynasty mode. User CB's will have far more INTs and QB's will throw far more INTs.

In Play Now games I'd agree with you 100%.
If Im trying to get QBs to throw 1 INT in every 80 attempts, that wouldnt even be fun.

And, Ive got to be honest. Im a little disappointed that the sim results yield 1 INT out of every 80 attempts. And this is for a QB who throws the ball a lot. One wonders what the stats are like when its less of a certainty a teams QB will throw the ball. I mean, if you have a good/decent QB on a team that can really run the ball, does that mean he will not throw an INT all season?
Old 09-10-2010, 12:59 PM   #31
MVP

youALREADYknow's Arena

Quote:
If Im trying to get QBs to throw 1 INT in every 80 attempts, that wouldnt even be fun.

And, Ive got to be honest. Im a little disappointed that the sim results yield 1 INT out of every 80 attempts. And this is for a QB who throws the ball a lot. One wonders what the stats are like when its less of a certainty a teams QB will throw the ball. I mean, if you have a good/decent QB on a team that can really run the ball, does that mean he will not throw an INT all season?
Not all QB's throw 1 INT to 80 pass attempts when simulated. Only the top QB's in the nation have that kind of ratio. The bottom QB's are the ones who have ratios similar to the real world (1 in 20/25).

Don't worry about getting a 1/80 ratio because you'll never get it without achieving Robo QB, but I wouldn't recommend aiming for ratios as low as you have.

As for your 2nd question, there are high AWR QB's on run heavy teams such as Josh Nesbitt and Ricky Dobbs who can go entire seasons with 0 or 1 INT in this game. It's unreal, but that's part of what must be accounted for when playing an EA Sports video game.

There is a balance in the middle somewhere and that's what I usually try to find when creating a slider set. Realistic look/feel with near-simulation statistics. I'm sure you're just a few tweaks away to get INTs down and maintain those completion percentages.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-10-2010, 02:35 PM   #32
Banned

Quote:
Not all QB's throw 1 INT to 80 pass attempts when simulated. Only the top QB's in the nation have that kind of ratio. The bottom QB's are the ones who have ratios similar to the real world (1 in 20/25).

Don't worry about getting a 1/80 ratio because you'll never get it without achieving Robo QB, but I wouldn't recommend aiming for ratios as low as you have.

As for your 2nd question, there are high AWR QB's on run heavy teams such as Josh Nesbitt and Ricky Dobbs who can go entire seasons with 0 or 1 INT in this game. It's unreal, but that's part of what must be accounted for when playing an EA Sports video game.

There is a balance in the middle somewhere and that's what I usually try to find when creating a slider set. Realistic look/feel with near-simulation statistics. I'm sure you're just a few tweaks away to get INTs down and maintain those completion percentages.
I like the way it plays at 35. If you come up with something, Ill give it a try. But to me, its not just the numbers...its also about how it plays and I like how the QB struggles when there is a pass rush. This is very realistic. Its true in the NFL and its certainly true in college. If you pressure the QB, he should struggle and if this is what causes ratios and stats to be what they are, then Im cool with it. Its not like the stats are way out of line either as much as its the fact that the sim is out of whack. But if I have to watch a guy who throws 40 passes a game go 3 games before he throws an INT, Im going to scratch my eyes out.

I also like how theres an occasional errant pass at 35. Most of the INTs are because the QB forces passes and not because he is overthrowing the WR.

If you can get the QB to eat the ball more yielding more sacks and fewer INTs then that is something that would work as an offset. I guess if there is an issue that I would have it would be that there are surprisingly few sacks for as much pressure as there is at times...and the end result of this is the QB throwing more INTs and incompletions.

I think if you get fewer INTs with out it resulting in more sacks, Id be wary that the results are a little too engineered. Like I said, the way it plays at 35 makes sense for the most part.

Last edited by TeddyG; 09-10-2010 at 02:39 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Sliders »