Home

Updated Coaching Sliders

This is a discussion on Updated Coaching Sliders within the NCAA Football Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-10-2010, 09:39 PM   #17
MVP

atlplayboy23's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Updated Coaching Sliders

Doesnt Boise run a 4-2-5
Old 09-10-2010, 10:30 PM   #18
Rookie

Swolecat's Arena

OVR: 1

Chia, what is your reasoning behind having Run/Pass Defensive sliders so low for most of the teams? With how pass friendly the game is by default, wouldn't it make sense to have more teams playing to stop the pass?
Old 09-10-2010, 10:54 PM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 5

Without knowing exactly how you came up with your ratios, you should know that Iowa rarely blitzes. For example last year, all but 2.5 of their 31 sacks were by d-lineman. They should be at the minimum for defensive aggression.
Old 09-11-2010, 12:33 AM   #20
MVP

OVR: 13

Amazing work, thanks.
Old 09-11-2010, 04:34 AM   #21
Banned

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlplayboy23
Doesnt Boise run a 4-2-5
Boise is set at 4-3 in the list... I haven't seen anywhere that shows them at a 4-2-5 could you point me at that info. Thanks.

Last edited by chia51; 09-11-2010 at 05:17 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-11-2010, 05:15 AM   #22
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oraeon1224
Run/Pass: The CPU will follow the exact % put into this slider assuming that the slider set used gives realistic results for the teams and the score is not favored one way or the other (just like real life). For instance I set Kentucky to 40 on the run/pass slider. In a game in which the score was within 7 and kentucky averaged 5 yards per carry and 12 yards per pass with 60% completion it had 43% passes (i.e. close to the slider). In another test kentucky was up 14 and averaged 7 yards per carry. They passed the ball 23% of the time. In another game in which they were down 17 and getting 4 yards per carry they passed 60% of the time. These are real numbers from real games I ran while adjusting my slider set. Even teams like army will actually run 80% of the time if they are getting good yards per carry and not heavily down if the slider is set at 15.
Oraeon, first off, I have been doing the ratios for simming results. At the same time trying to get a good gameplay r/p ratio. I have done the same type of test... thats why I stated that I believe the ratio is just the starting ratio (beginning of the game) then the teams adjust during the game on what is working. So since I believe that, this is why I have calculated by yards as it clearly states that "this ratio is for simulation purposes only" in the game.

But just incase we would need to do this:
"Just brainstorming here though... if this is true that the r/p ratio does hold up in game (example of what I mean; put Texas Tech at 15 and they should end up ~85% rushing atts vs pass atts) then for simming/gameplay purposes you would need to take the average of P atts / T atts = %1. Then take P Yards / T Yards = %2. %1+%2=%3 then /2 = %4 (the avg of both avgs)
That would average out both the attempts and yardage.

Quote:
Blitzing: You cannot say you want any pressure to be a blitz. That is not how the NFL or statisticians define blitzing and therefore there is no data available. I will state that my original choice of 45 as a top seems a bit high and I have reduced my personal slider choice by 5 for most teams with the exception of 5 teams which I leave at 45. The game doesn't have good enough pass coverage to avoid giving up big plays to a human with rushing 6 frequently. I have never stated however that my sliders for teams are accurate, that is because only the pro's provide statistics for each team. If anyone is familiar with teams feel free to provide feedback (an iowa fan states they rarely blitz).
I agree 100% there is no data available on when/how teams blitz... but from your original statistics on how many people rushed the quarterback at the different ratios, in order to get rid of the all out blitz the highest a team should be is 35/40 depending on preference. (and then it will still come up every once in a while) I calculated this ratio by team sacks and how many players came up with the sacks, TFL and how many players had TFLs.

Quote:
With that said I can't quite tell but you may be trying to make sliders for simulation statistics. If that is the case then maybe this works, as my sliders were designed for game play and not for statistics. I would be interested to see what simulated season statistics are with my slider set vs the one you have designed. It would be interesting to know these slider changes adjust % rushing yards in sim ut they certainly change in game play which is a big issue. If that is the case for sim use yours and use my original set for in game play (maybe changing back after the game). Please clarify if yours have any game play purpose or only for simulation and some examples of the end of season statistics on my sliders and your sliders for comparison.
As said above, simming first while trying to get a good r/p game ratio as well.

Quote:
I will be happy to provide a list of 5 teams sim statistics with my sliders if you will post 5 with yours (mine were not designed for sim so I would be interested to see what you get).
Will be interesting to see. I use DK's rosters and no injuries while simming.

I will get the results for (a good mix of r/p ratios):

Auburn (at 50 r/p)
Baylor (at 70 r/p)
Duke (at 85 r/p)
GT (at 15 r/p) note: option teams have always come out jacked at the end of the season and they never stay to the ratio (or atleast i cannot get them to)
Ohio State (at 45 r/p)
Virginia Tech (at 45 r/p)

Quote:
Chia, what is your reasoning behind having Run/Pass Defensive sliders so low for most of the teams? With how pass friendly the game is by default, wouldn't it make sense to have more teams playing to stop the pass?
I did this as most teams try to stop the run first... also if this is geared towards the pass teams will give up way too much in the running game (gameplay wise). And with the correct sliders, pass rush is the greatest pass defense.

Quote:
Without knowing exactly how you came up with your ratios, you should know that Iowa rarely blitzes. For example last year, all but 2.5 of their 31 sacks were by d-lineman. They should be at the minimum for defensive aggression.
As stated above, I calculated this ratio by team sacks and how many players came up with the sacks, TFL and how many players had TFLs. Which Iowa comes out at 27.8 in the formula, rounded to the nearest 5 is 30, they could go down to 25 preference really... and since you say they don't blitz much then I would go with 25 personally... its good to know little things about a team that doesn't get it to statistics.

Last edited by chia51; 09-11-2010 at 05:18 AM.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:16 AM   #23
MVP

atlplayboy23's Arena

OVR: 10

In Phill Steele's book he has them listed as 4-2-5.

"Position battles to watch Linebacker With five, perhaps six players battling for two spots in Boise’s 4-2-5, no position features stiffer competition"

The Frogs have played Boise State two seasons in a row. Boise coaches visited TCU to study Patterson's 4-2-5 defense before the '09 season
Old 09-11-2010, 05:19 AM   #24
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlplayboy23
In Phill Steele's book he has them listed as 4-2-5.

"Position battles to watch Linebacker With five, perhaps six players battling for two spots in Boise’s 4-2-5, no position features stiffer competition"

The Frogs have played Boise State two seasons in a row. Boise coaches visited TCU to study Patterson's 4-2-5 defense before the '09 season
Thanks for the quick reply... will get it changed.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Sliders »