Home

The reason it's hard to make sliders on this game...

This is a discussion on The reason it's hard to make sliders on this game... within the NCAA Football Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-12-2010, 10:04 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 10
The reason it's hard to make sliders on this game...

...is because, obviously this game has it's problems. The other problem is, college football is unpredictable. Think about it, we're trying to make realistic sliders, and that's hard to do because upsets can happen any week. The ever so popular App State/ Michigan game, purdue beating #7 Ohio State, James Madison beating VTech, Boise getting best by Nevada... How many people saw these upsets coming pre-game??? It's just something to think about...
James Naismith visited an Indiana basketball state finals game along with 15,000 screaming fans and later wrote, that while it was invented in Massachusetts, "basketball really had its origin in Indiana, which remains the center of the sport."
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-12-2010, 10:40 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: The reason it's hard to make sliders on this game...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxdude2004
...is because, obviously this game has it's problems. The other problem is, college football is unpredictable. Think about it, we're trying to make realistic sliders, and that's hard to do because upsets can happen any week. The ever so popular App State/ Michigan game, purdue beating #7 Ohio State, James Madison beating VTech, Boise getting best by Nevada... How many people saw these upsets coming pre-game??? It's just something to think about...

I saw the Nevada win pre-game they were due to beat Boise. plus it was at home and the biggest game of the year which also happened to be senior day for Colin Kaepernick and Vai Taua. So that one was a given in my opinion
Old 12-12-2010, 02:30 PM   #3
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headtrip325
I saw the Nevada win pre-game they were due to beat Boise. plus it was at home and the biggest game of the year which also happened to be senior day for Colin Kaepernick and Vai Taua. So that one was a given in my opinion
I was on vacation and missed pre-game actually... But I'll take your word for it I guess.
James Naismith visited an Indiana basketball state finals game along with 15,000 screaming fans and later wrote, that while it was invented in Massachusetts, "basketball really had its origin in Indiana, which remains the center of the sport."
Old 12-12-2010, 05:47 PM   #4
Pro

OVR: 5

I agree with what you are saying. I want a set of sliders to produce realistic stats, while feeling like what I am seeing is something that I would see on Saturdays. That being said, as you mentioned, finding the balance between realism and the games flaws is difficult and arguably impossible. I do not have a problem with a weaker computer team playing me tough because they get some push on the line, and I make some mistakes in my reads and throw a couple of picks. My problem comes when your team has playing well for 3 quarters at home and all of a sudden it's like a switch is flipped and your team turns into mentally challenged robots; your QB cannot make an accurate 5 yard slant throw, you fumble 2 or 3x in a row, as soon as you get past the 1st down marker on offense a flag is thrown, and the CPU who may have been 9-20 in the first 3 quarters all of a sudden goes 12-15 in the 4th quarter. As an example, my last game I had 3 drives in a row where I had to punt because I got a holding call after getting past the first down marker. I then decided to test it and turned holding down to 0. Guess what happened on 2 different 1st down runs with 2:00 to go up 31-28 after turning holding down to 0? If you guessed I was called for holding both times, you would be correct. Has some of this ever happened in college football? Yes, but not as often as it happens in this game.

Last edited by franko3219; 12-12-2010 at 05:50 PM.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:08 AM   #5
Rookie

Black4track's Arena

OVR: 2

Yes I totally agree with both of you. I Was notre dame playing akron, My Qb Chist who I got to a 99 ovr, threw 4 picks in the 4th quarter aganist akron. Akrons defense was rated a C-. i ended up winning but I try to make balanced sliders, but it seems like if the computer wants to win, then it will. A.I. is still a work in progress.
Dallas Mavericks
UT LONGHORNS
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-13-2010, 09:35 PM   #6
Pro

What my chem/phys teacher has told me is that video games are changing. He said that nowadays there is technology that can make the a.I. Adapt to what you've been doing. I know this is present in NHL 10/11, I wonder if it is on this game, but we just were never told? I'm a CPU vs. CPU guy, and it breaks my heart to see a running back get stuffed on a run that should've been a first down, but running sideways doesn't help your cause.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:34 AM   #7
Pro

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxdude2004
What my chem/phys teacher has told me is that video games are changing. He said that nowadays there is technology that can make the a.I. Adapt to what you've been doing. I know this is present in NHL 10/11, I wonder if it is on this game, but we just were never told? I'm a CPU vs. CPU guy, and it breaks my heart to see a running back get stuffed on a run that should've been a first down, but running sideways doesn't help your cause.
Yes Adaptive AI is in this game and was one of the big additions in last years game. This system is supposed to make it where the AI will "adapt" to plays that you run a lot. For example if I come out and run a sweep in a certain formation a couple of times in a row, they CPU in theory would adjust to stop that play. In reality though, I believe that this system is flawed and that it basically lets the AI know what play you call. This is evident when you come out in a spread formation that you have been passing in all game and call a run and magically the CPU is in a base defense and calls a run stopping defense.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:15 AM   #8
MVP

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headtrip325

How can you say that is a given!?

Because its Senior Day? So it doesn't matter plenty of teams lose on Senior Day.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Sliders »