Home

Old 05-04-2011, 06:57 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Sliders are evil

Ok hear me out, I feel that this game, like all video games, have different difficulties for a reason. As one becomes better at the game, he can move up difficulties to play more challenging AI. If I'm bad at passing, I figure out how to get better, if I can't run the ball, I find better ways to run. etc etc. But with these sliders, it seems almost that people are handicpping themselves when they struggle with elements of the game.

If I'm can't complete passes, I'll just lower the CPU pass defense and up my QB accuracy. If I'm giving up 250 yards rushing I'll just lower CPU's run ability until I only give up 150 yards.

I don't know, it feels like it almost takes the sense of self-agency out of the game. Rather than taking a team to the championship, I'm just fine tuning the game until I can simulate while controlling a team in a game at the same time with the most "ideal stats". If I win the NC first year with Wyoming, rather than being happy with playing well, we get mad at the "unrealistic" sliders. If we go 6-6 with Oklahoma, rather than find ways to rebuild the team and adjust strategies, we think the sliders are too hard.

I like the idea of fine tuning the game a little but in the end, WE are playing the game. If our team has 500 yard passing and 50 yards rushing, is it the sliders fault? or is the person controlling the team just good at passing? and isn't that real football?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-04-2011, 07:00 PM   #2
MGK
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: Sliders are evil

This is why you test repeatedly and get realistic averages before finalizing your set.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:01 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 32
Yep, you should put some work into labbing your slider sets before you finalize them. I would start by taking an hour or two to input the chia 51s coaching sliders. They make an incredible difference in how the game plays.

In a good slider set, the player ratings matter. I would take several players for each facet of offense and defense and use those players to test with. Run multiple plays and closely monitor how each player reacts with each adjustment. Take into account all ratings for each player. Once you feel the player is performing according to his ratings, move on!

Remember OVR means absolutely nothing!

Shut Up and Show Me!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Sliders »