Home

Old 07-14-2011, 04:40 PM   #9
Pro

OVR: 6
Re: Threshold Slider

I extensively tested this last year and again this year. The gap between drafted linebackers and WR is 0.2 second 40 times. In prior years NCAA at threshold of 50 for the most elite college players at those positions had a gap of over 1 second. This year the design team implemented real 40 times for their players (likely not realistic given that they are wearing pads) and their elite players on default have a 0.2 second gap between LB adn WR. If you lower the threshold what you do is increase this gap between players. If you raise the threshold you narrow that gap (what the game actually does is gives a boost to the speed of players with a lower ranked speed and acceleration). When you lower the slider and widen the gap you lead to more blow coverages and easier deep passing. If you want a harder passing game increase the slider (I am using 55 but 50 is realistic to the real world).

For those using threshold to improve CB blitzing this really shouldn't be true since my testing has shown that it increases the gap between those >90 on speed (CB) but doesn't actually increase the high end players speed. I.e. what it really is doing is making the CB faster relative to the QB but would not make the CB close to the QB any faster.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:53 PM   #10
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

You have your tests, I have my eyes.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:22 PM   #11
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson
You have your tests, I have my eyes.
And that is why we have science instead of opinion. I invite you to go into practice mode with a wide reciever and run the 40 10X with a stopwatch. Take the mode value or median depending on which seems most reliable (for instance in my testing 4 out of 10 times the 93 WR got a 40 time of 4.4 seconds--incidentally the 40 time of top ranked college wide recievers players). Then adjust threshold down to 0 and see if you see much of a gain in 40 time. It is really not very dramatic (at 93 you will see a mild increase).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-14-2011, 07:34 PM   #12
Hall Of Fame

Matt10's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oraeon1224
And that is why we have science instead of opinion. I invite you to go into practice mode with a wide reciever and run the 40 10X with a stopwatch. Take the mode value or median depending on which seems most reliable (for instance in my testing 4 out of 10 times the 93 WR got a 40 time of 4.4 seconds--incidentally the 40 time of top ranked college wide recievers players). Then adjust threshold down to 0 and see if you see much of a gain in 40 time. It is really not very dramatic (at 93 you will see a mild increase).
I understand the nature of the test, and science. But the thing is if we were to test the science of a WR speed comparable to a DB - we have to time every little detail - and compare it to real life physics. Such as, the DB is facing the WR - the first motion is a back pedal, and then a pivot - etc.

I know that wasn't your point, but using a timer on speeds doesn't translate to a video game. Yes, the threshold is there to customize - however at zero it puts at the best separation - the most realistic...in regards to the video game - not real lfie.

If we use every comparison to real life, then we have to time the stance for the lineman - how fast does the animation take to produce a crouched lineman to a standing one, pushing into another linemen. What about the physics of the ball speed traveling?

There are just too many values and integers that have to be determined to use science in regards to a video game - science is not made up of graphical animations unfortunately.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:07 AM   #13
Pro

SGMRock's Arena

OVR: 8

Its all subjective really its what you like. In basic terms of football this slider really equals "makeup speed". In football when players are out of position or if say they are in coverage and get beat on a move this basically lets them make up that error.

So if you want tighter defense increase it and if you want loser defense lower it. Thats how I think of this slider and its always worked for me that way in Madden and NCAA.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:24 AM   #14
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGMRock
Its all subjective really its what you like. In basic terms of football this slider really equals "makeup speed". In football when players are out of position or if say they are in coverage and get beat on a move this basically lets them make up that error.

So if you want tighter defense increase it and if you want loser defense lower it. Thats how I think of this slider and its always worked for me that way in Madden and NCAA.

Agreed. Recovery speed is what it really boils down to. I normally have always played on zero and started that way with NCAA 12. But I have noticed too many deep balls for my taste. So I upped it to 25 and I think like many other slider makers are saying "is the sweet spot" this year on this game.

With Madden...most players are good to great. It is the NFL. So zero is the way I really go in Madden. It really keeps the games very competitive and cuts down on the big plays by guys the likes of Davone Bess (a slot WR with quickness not deep speed) and RB's like Peyton Hillis who is a beast...but not a distance/speed runner. He moves the chains and should not break off 35 yard runs with regularity. He should be tracked down from behind almost 95% of the time.

But in college you have big disparity between programs so if you don't want scores and stats getting too out of hand (heck I love blowouts on NCAA it is part of the college game more so than the NFL), slide it up. I still want the integrity of great elite players being just that.

Enjoy.
Baconís Marlins YR1
1980ís Strat-O-Matic KC Royals YR1
1993 Yankees Marlins YR1
2003 Yankees/Marlins Season Replay

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23

Last edited by Armor and Sword; 07-15-2011 at 11:28 AM.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:48 AM   #15
Pro

SGMRock's Arena

OVR: 8

Ya I think I'm using 30 at this time. Having read that 25-30 was the sweet spot in other threads as well. It seems to be working ok for me right now. I might lower it more though as I have been playing a Dynasty starting out as DC for Michigan and my defense so far has been dominating. I have all the other sliders on default AA so it could be some of those but I think threshold is helping me a lot from getting beat on some long passes and such.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-15-2011, 12:05 PM   #16
Rookie

I had mine at 30 but lowered it down to 20 and now I can complete a long ball every once in a while. For me I can actually see now by playing that a certain guy is fast. I played with UF and noticed immediately how much speed they have compared to 30 where the teams seemed about the same.
..."And there's a frequent bug that turns the receivers' route markers into dancing squiggly lines. None of these problems destroy the fun of running a perfect option play, but they do take you out of what should be an immersive experience."....

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football > NCAA Football Sliders »