Home

i'm sorry but this really bugs me...

This is a discussion on i'm sorry but this really bugs me... within the NCAA Football Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-19-2011, 04:15 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 11
i'm sorry but this really bugs me...

i posted this in someone's thread a couple weeks ago, but when i logged on today and saw the OS headline "...try some sliders from OSers..." i got my undergarments in a bunch and i wanna throw this out there...

Sliders are a part of the video game so that users can create a custom difficulty level, unique to themselves and their skills in different aspects of the game. If users choose to adjust them in search of the most realistic experience, then that's great, but everyone has their own skill levels.

why, then, does this subforum become a sort of popularity contest?

and i do not post this because i have posted a set that was "spurned" or ignored. once, in 2006 i think, i "threw my hat into the ring" and spent all of a couple hours later that week wondering why my experience based on countless hours with the game was not as valid as Jistic's or Playmaker's (just "legendary" names off the top of my head, no disrespect intended!)

i post this because i would really like to log on and see separate discussions about the different SLIDERS themselves, not the various "sets" created by the hallowed "gurus"

and again, honestly, no disrespect intended, i just think that it's really time-consuming, not to mention misleading, to come on here and wade through twenty different threads to try to get a better sense of what to do to make the game play better for YOU

i GET it, changing one slider can affect the effects (and yes i know what i'm spelling) of another slider, so it is only fair that you present your entire "set" as you report your findings to the community...

but is there any reason that we can't have threads entitled "QB Accuracy," "RB Ability," "Rush Defense," etc.? then we could go into one of these threads and find something like:

"I have RBA set at 60 for the CPU, because they run more North-South that way, but be aware that their stiff-arms are more powerful there, so you might want to turn up HUM Tackling. I brought mine up from 40 to 45."

sorry if this is a bothersome rant, and if no one else feels this way then this thread will just fall by the wayside, but i guess at the very least i think it would be a fair compromise if the Mods could create two subforums: "Slider Sets" and "Slider Discussion"

Last edited by ZekeRoberts; 08-19-2011 at 04:16 PM. Reason: grammar, not spelling :)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-19-2011, 05:11 PM   #2
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29
Re: i'm sorry but this really bugs me...

I think you make a great point!

In reality: most do not want to mess with tinkering the sliders on their own. They simply plug in a few slider sets and if it plays well they stick with it and usually make their own slight changes.

If you feel so strongly about want discussion I encourage you to make your own thread to steer the topic you want. For example, in your first post list each slider and under those sliders show the effects of tinkering them. You could limit your discussion to All-American tweaks only.

Just a thought

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)

Last edited by NDAlum; 08-19-2011 at 05:13 PM.
Old 08-19-2011, 05:19 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 21

Last year when I did my set http://www.operationsports.com/forum...g-sliders.html with the coaching sliders, I took the time to give reasons why I did x and y.

But yes I hear ya.... too many guys just spout off what they 'deem' as correct without any evidence or any justifications.

I also did this for NBA2k11, except I did as you wanted, and made an entire thread just for explanations on the what, whys of the sliders. Much to my grin, that it did not pick up steam and feel off the main slider page...

I believe over at another NCAA football forum they have a slider section broken-down like that.

Last edited by chia51; 08-19-2011 at 05:50 PM.
Old 08-19-2011, 05:21 PM   #4
MVP

heelphreak's Arena

OVR: 6

I think the sliders themselves aren't getting discussed much because nobody really knows how they work.

but if you want to discuss cpu rba or whatever, start a thread. i read these threads and try the sliders of the aforementioned posters mainly because i'm lazy. i use theirs as a starting point for my own.
Old 08-19-2011, 05:23 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

mkharsh33's Arena

OVR: 35

I admit that mine suck... Varsity level is simply unplayable...

But seriously, I can see what the OP means. Personally, I don't care what people think about me here. I make my contributions to the community and leave it at that. I don't get caught up in votes (stars) for my threads or how man views they get. I really wouldn't worry about this...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-19-2011, 06:23 PM   #6
Pro

OVR: 11

thanks all for the responses and affirmation

yes, many well-respected sets of sliders are provided with rationale, and that is definitely the most helpful analysis i think anyone can find here

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDAlum
In reality: most do not want to mess with tinkering the sliders on their own. They simply plug in a few slider sets and if it plays well they stick with it and usually make their own slight changes.
i guess this probably hits the nail squarely on the head... i just wish that people would view sliders differently so that we don't get the occasional "whose sliders are the best" thread which really gets my blood boiling, and i'm going out on a limb to say that slider-makers who pop up in various places to say "try my set and post your stats/tell me what you think" don't help with y perceived problem either...

and to get back to my original point, i know that there is nothing stopping me from posting the type of thread that i want to see, and furthermore i recognize that there are a couple out there already! i guess it's just the combination of what i perceive to be the collective mindset, coupled with any individual slider-specific threads getting lost in the midst of the most popular slider sets. i'd really like to see two separate subforums is all. do i PM a mod? would it matter? if a mod sees this thread could they comment? thanks

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Sliders »