Home

Penalty Slider impact on Gameplay in NCAA 14 - Slider Set included

This is a discussion on Penalty Slider impact on Gameplay in NCAA 14 - Slider Set included within the NCAA Football Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-11-2013, 04:58 PM   #57
Pro

radiohead's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Penalty Slider impact on Gameplay in NCAA 14 - Slider Set included

As someone said previously, the notion that penalty sliders affect gameplay is certainly compelling, especially given EA's track record and given that they have never offered an in-depth explanation of what each slider affects.

However, I just don't think it's credible.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:25 PM   #58
Meow

DetroitStyle's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiohead
However, I just don't think it's credible.
It's credible. I tested the heck out of it with Madden last year. I'm also seeing the changes this year when i keep gameplay sliders the same but change the penalty sliders. Even if it did nothing, there's no harm dropping DPI/OPI to 0 because guess what, no penalties will be called if they were at 100 anyway!
Old 07-13-2013, 12:02 AM   #59
Rookie

OVR: 3

So these sliders help with the CPU defending the read option? That would be a discovery, something about them needs to be isolated and used in all sliders of that's the case.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:37 AM   #60
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by risewithus56
So these sliders help with the CPU defending the read option? That would be a discovery, something about them needs to be isolated and used in all sliders of that's the case.
I don't think any one slider will help with the CPU defending the read option. The read option IRL is a tough play to defend when it is executed correctly. Read options, more often than not, get blown up when the wrong read is made by the QB. The 'problem' is that EA did such an effective job in implementing the read option in the game, that even a moderately skilled human player can execute it almost flawlessly. That puts an inordinate amount of pressure on the CPU defense. Yes, the CPU defense does crash a bit too much, but that may be something that can be fixed with coaching sliders...
Old 07-13-2013, 05:31 PM   #61
Pro

OVR: 6

I am curious how people have tested this in the past. I tested this in practice mode and in game with 2 human controllers so I can set the plays. It is very dangerous to assess pass rush without also controlling the play calling since random selection may result in misleading results. So far I have not found that any of the penalty sliders effect pass rush, rushing success or defense, or fumbles. I still have not testing intentional grounding or DPI or OPI so I am holding hope these do have some impact.

I do agree these sliders change animations (i.e. facemask slider controls the frequency of the face mask animation). However, this doesn't appear to effect in game effects (fumbles, broken tackles, etc...).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-31-2013, 12:31 AM   #62
Rookie

gatorsinRENO's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD
I assume with some penalty sliders at zero you will not see that particular penalty called, correct?
Most aren't, but the penalty sliders at this point aren't for actual penalties. To me, it controls tendencies that lead to the penalties, so maybe the aren't broken like most of us think, EA has just made them function in a way that is a little inaccurate.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:40 AM   #63
Rookie

gatorsinRENO's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oraeon1224
I am curious how people have tested this in the past. I tested this in practice mode and in game with 2 human controllers so I can set the plays. It is very dangerous to assess pass rush without also controlling the play calling since random selection may result in misleading results. So far I have not found that any of the penalty sliders effect pass rush, rushing success or defense, or fumbles. I still have not testing intentional grounding or DPI or OPI so I am holding hope these do have some impact.

I do agree these sliders change animations (i.e. facemask slider controls the frequency of the face mask animation). However, this doesn't appear to effect in game effects (fumbles, broken tackles, etc...).
First, I respect your work here on these boards, which may not mean anything to you, or it may, whichever. That being said, I don't think that practice mode can be considered accurate to test in. CPU and HUM adj aren't taken into consideration, and I don't think that playcalling is defended accurately.. It's hard to describe, but since you aren't calling plays like you would in a game setting, they aren't defended in that way. I don't know if that makes sense or not, but Play Now gives a nice neutral environment.
Old 08-03-2013, 10:43 AM   #64
Rookie

Buckeyed's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorsinRENO
First, I respect your work here on these boards, which may not mean anything to you, or it may, whichever. That being said, I don't think that practice mode can be considered accurate to test in. CPU and HUM adj aren't taken into consideration, and I don't think that playcalling is defended accurately.. It's hard to describe, but since you aren't calling plays like you would in a game setting, they aren't defended in that way. I don't know if that makes sense or not, but Play Now gives a nice neutral environment.
This is why I started a throw away Dynasty for my testing.

Also, great OP for us idiots that spend way too much time with sliders, rosters, etc.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Sliders »