Home

NCAA 14 - OS Community + Playmakers Split Sliders

This is a discussion on NCAA 14 - OS Community + Playmakers Split Sliders within the NCAA Football Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-24-2014, 10:46 AM   #4025
Hall Of Fame

Matt10's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: NCAA 14 - OS Community + Playmakers Split Sliders

Cowher, I know your thoughts on HFA are in regards to momentum. I also am starting to believe that zero threshold is the way to go in order to take FULL advantage of HFA on or off.

Why?

Because Zero is zero, no attachments - no force fields, no predetermined result of a play. The CPU doesn't hold back, and they take advantage of mismatches - as I learned in last night's (3 of them) games.

Throughout each slider set up, I test 3 games.

1st: A+ team vs C (or lower) team
*looking for a complete blow out
2nd: C+ vs C- team
*looking for a more sloppy play, but late, and impactful.
3rd: B+ vs B+ team
*I expect the only way this will blow up is if the CPU finds the weakness and exploits it...all game, one mistake ruins it*

Not one of the current slider sets have passed this test. However, I felt we needed to work on them because of how good the animations/interactions were - that there was potential.

The thing is potential only gets you so far - and results had to speak out. So we have started this set all the way from 95 threshold, all the way down to 5, right? Well, now I made zero threshold work. Here's the result of each test:

1st: Umass (User) @ Alabama (CPU)

I had to finish this game on my own (offline) as I was being throttled 34-0 in the 1st quarter. I actually never finished the game - but it was evident Alabama was going to dominate.

2nd: Bowling Green (CPU) @ Kent St (User)

Bowling Green scored 21 points (a 18 yd TD pass and two pick 6's) in the 1st quarter to my 3. At half it was 28-13. Their playcalling was out of this world - and their defense came to play. I believe a better "User QB" would have stuck with them a little bit closer, but I started forcing plays - and finished with 4 total picks. Final score 48-16 Bowling Green.

3rd: #21 Louisville (CPU) @ Iowa (User)

These teams were evenly matched in terms of Ovr, Offense and Defense. At half it was tied @ 14-14 a piece. I was seriously playing so hard, it was crazy. This was the first time I had ever truly been challenged. I had to change defensive adjustments for crying out loud because they were finding those intermediate routes so easy (taking advantage of my 76-78 ovr corners to their 90+ speed receivers). They scored a 25 yd TD pass right away at the start of the second half to go up. Then they had a great drive which I stopped for a field goal. Fourth quarter, I changed my gameplan and started blitzing more - adjusting the zone coverage. Another field goal. I was still in this. On what was a solid drive - got to the goal line, but got sacked and pushed back to the 20. I tried to go for the deep ball in the back of the end zone, but their CB read the route and picked it. Momentum lost. On the next possession, they beat my zone coverage, playaction pass for a gain of 25 yards, then another big gain of 20 more yards with another pass. A run for 7 yards, another 7 into goal line territory - 1st & goal. I managed to stop them and they kicked the field goal - I was still in this.

Then, the dagger, the same CB was there on my curl route - I had waited a fraction too long - and he read it perfectly, took it to the house - 34-14. Next drive, I threw ANOTHER pick, this time to the safety - under 5 mins left - and they are in my 40 again. Right away they're throwing, finished with a slant play to their best WR, another score. Final score 41-14 #21 Louisville.

These games were each ridiculously fun. Fun to see that ratings were being played out and that the kill factor was there. Each game was played without HFA, so that still remains to be tested. But the kill factor is there - and you will be punished for not preparing. I did start to "tweak" the set I played those 3 in, and then I realized - nevermind. I've decided to leave it as it is - because zero threshold is so sensitive to changes that it just didn't make sense.

So here's the set, please try it out and let me know. Give it the same 3 tests I did before make a real judgement. Let me know if you play HFA on or off as well. Make sure to check WR/DB match ups and OL Strength ratings (that's all that matters btw) against the DL. Word to wise, do your homework too - I would have been more prepared against Louisville if I knew the late beat down they wanted to serve me.

I wanted to take away all the good things from the previous sets. So Josh's penalty settings for instance, some of those were needed. I took the new QBA set up and RBL. I approached a lower tackle - but higher than what we had on the other thresholds. I raised holding to allow the run game to open up even more. I raised the RBA as well from 35 to make sure the RB (on zero threshold) didn't get stuck beside or in front of their blockers. Some values I left alone like PBL, WRC and RDEF.[b]

*edited: HFA is on - Cowher was right, so was Josh. Booyah.*

Last edited by Matt10; 06-24-2014 at 04:34 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-24-2014, 11:54 AM   #4026
Fear Me

Kramer5150's Arena

OVR: 17

Just wanted to post my box score of the game I played against TAMU,I won't be able to give my thoughts though,as I have a few errands to run.

Ohio at Texas A&M Aggies
Jan 1, 1ST2ND3RD4THSCORE
Ohio (0-0)7107731
#6 Texas A&M Aggies (0-0)7314024
Team Stats Comparison
TA&M
Total Offense361281
Rushing Yards130103
Passing Yards231178
First Downs2010
Punt Return Yards540
Kick Return Yards7888
Total Yards493369
Turnovers44
3rd Down Converstion27%33%
4th Down Conversion0%50%
2-Point Conversion00
Red Zone Touchdowns/Field Goals5-3-12-0-1
Penalties1-54-39
Posession Time24:0611:54
Ohio
PASSINGC/AYDSTDINT
Perkins22/3323132
RUSHINGATTYDSAVGTD
Barnett231024.40
Kane10414.11
Texas A&M Aggies
PASSINGC/AYDSTDINT
Allen17/3117804
RUSHINGATTYDSAVGTD
Allen13785.90
Carson8243.00
“I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest – If you can’t take it, you shouldn’t play!” Jack Lambert
Quote:
“Quarterbacks should wear dresses.” Jack Lambert
Old 06-24-2014, 12:39 PM   #4027
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

I took the 0 threshold challenge (HFA was off). Game 1 was the C or lower team vs. an A level team.

Used Texas State vs. UCLA and it was a 60-35 game (not quite a complete blowout though, but close). Both offenses were good, running games explosive, as were the passing games.

Oh...one caveat, did you want the vastly superior team to win?

Here is the boxscore (no, the teams are not flip-flopped):

Texas State Bobcats at UCLA Bruins
Jan 1, 1ST2ND3RD4THSCORE
Texas State Bobcats ()177142260
UCLA Bruins ()7671535
Team Stats Comparison

TXSTUCLA
Total Offense552432
Rushing Yards62-389-629-130-1
Passing Yards12-21-163-1-126-35-2-1
First Downs3023
Punt Return Yards697
Kick Return Yards897
Total Yards710466
Turnovers21
3rd Down Converstion6-104-11
4th Down Conversion0-10-0
2-Point Conversion1-11-1
Red Zone Touchdowns/Field Goals8-7-13-2-2
Penalties0-02-10
Posession Time23:2912:31
Old 06-24-2014, 01:07 PM   #4028
Fear Me

Kramer5150's Arena

Just a few quick thoughts during the game I played against TAMU.

All of their TD's came on defense,2 pick 6's and my qb fumbled and they scored,their offense was pretty bad,but then again they had a freshman QB starting,and he couldn't figure out my different blitz packages.

Also,one thing to keep in mind...while TAMU was ranked #6,that obviously didn't mean anything as in the matchup screen,both teams were pretty evenly matched,the only difference being that my defense was rated 3 points higher.

With that being said,I feel the game played out exactly as it should have against 2 evenly matched teams,and the outcome was going to be determined on who made less mistakes....in this game my team made fewer mistakes and it showed in the scoreboard.

The game could've very easily been tied up as TAMU drove down to my 5 yard line with about 48 seconds remaining...but on 4 consecutive plays they were unable to get the ball into the endzone,so it took a defensive stand to secure the win.

I know this is only 1 game,but I saw no evidence that the team with momentum got a ratings boost,if they did,it sure didn't make any difference.

If that was the case,I figured it would be across the board including the offense,but that just wasn't the case...even when the defense got those 2 pick 6's,I didn't notice anything that would say "ratings boost".

I just stuck to my gameplan,and stayed true to my team and didn't panic,and ran my offense.

Obviously more games are needed,but the 1st test was very positive to what I was looking for.
“I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest – If you can’t take it, you shouldn’t play!” Jack Lambert
Quote:
Old 06-24-2014, 02:12 PM   #4029
Hall Of Fame

Matt10's Arena

OVR: 23

HFA on, definitely. So much better, damn, hate to say it but Cowher was right.
Old 06-24-2014, 02:56 PM   #4030
Fear Me

Kramer5150's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt10
LMAO...told you....

Quote:
Old 06-24-2014, 03:37 PM   #4031
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt10
I said that on Twitch too

Just completed an amazing comeback as Vandy against Ole Miss (using 0 thresh sliders with HFA on). I was down 30-10 going into the 4th. I scored a TD with 7:09 left, Ole Miss comes back with a FG after getting a 1st and goal at the 5. I score a TD with 2:59 to cut it to 33-25. Next possession, Bo Wallace fumbles the ball on a scramble. I am set-up down 8. I score a TD with 1:02 remaining. Go for the two point conversion, run a dual slant pattern. The inside receiver comes open. I fire it in there and it is batted away by the defender. Down 2 with 1:02 left and 3 TOs. I go for the onside kick....Ole Miss recovers. The play it close to the vest and run three straight times and have to kick the FG to essentially ice the game; they missed it!!!

I have the ball back on my 39 with 0:49 remaining. I drive the ball down and my receivers make some gutsy catches in the middle of the field. I get the ball down to the 21 yard line with 10 seconds remaining. I spike the ball. My RS Freshman kicker (who was 2-4 on the game....74 KPW) is set to try to win the game. I set up....TO Ole Miss....antifreeze kicks in. Set up again.....Ole Miss calls final TO. Kicker is frozen....but amazingly makes it just inside the right goal post!!!!!

Most amazing comeback ever!!! I am still shaking a bit right now.....

Great stuff.....this is what I want in this game!!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-24-2014, 03:40 PM   #4032
Rookie

GamerDad48's Arena

OVR: 0

Matt or Cowher...when testing the latest slider set (Zero Thresh) are you still adjusting the RBs stamina (knocking it down 20pts from where it is) for the CPU RBs when playing or are you just leaving it where it is?

Last edited by GamerDad48; 06-24-2014 at 03:45 PM. Reason: left out part of my question

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Sliders »