Home

HEISMAN Defensive Difficulty - How to get Human Pass Coverage to not stink??

This is a discussion on HEISMAN Defensive Difficulty - How to get Human Pass Coverage to not stink?? within the NCAA Football Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-01-2013, 11:43 AM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: HEISMAN Defensive Difficulty - How to get Human Pass Coverage to not stink??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oraeon1224
OPI and DPI do not affect how players react to the ball. OPI can actually be witnessed by playing a game until one is called (yes they are called at 100 this year, I had 3 in one game). What you see is an animation triggered between a single DB and WR--they get tangled up then for OPI the receiver throws off the defender and is more open. The coverage may be slightly better when set at 0 because without the animation receivers aren't throwing defenders, but this is not really that the coverage is any different. DPI on the other hand ties up a WR at what should be a defensive holding call distance (but there is no penalty) but doesn't effect coverage or plays on the ball/aggression. If set to 100 it will tie up a receiver and make them less open.

In general this only effects one receiver at most per play so this isn't really the way to go to effect gameplay. It does have a minor impact but in my opinion all the other effects people are describing are the results of running uncontrolled tests (i.e. letting the CPU play call and getting different effects). Test it out with two human controllers and run the same 2 plays 40 times. There isn't really much difference between 0 and 100 than what I listed above.
I have no idea why it works, but I think DPI has a serious effect on the passing game. Out of respect for your comment, I'll play another game and reset to default. But what I know now is that I was giving 400+ passing yards before the switch the switch to low DPI, and after I was giving up 200+.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-01-2013, 11:57 AM   #26
Senior Circuit

KingV2k3's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: HEISMAN Defensive Difficulty - How to get Human Pass Coverage to not stink??

[quote=Oraeon1224;2045307887 OPI can actually be witnessed by playing a game until one is called (yes they are called at 100 this year, I had 3 in one game). [/QUOTE]

Well, this is certainly a find...

If OPI @ 100 will actually trigger a drive killing penalty once in a great while, it may be worth it to me...

Is there any setting BELOW 100 that also triggers the penalty or does the slider have to be maxed out?

THANKS!
Old 08-01-2013, 01:47 PM   #27
Hall Of Fame

Matt10's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrueToTheGame
With all do respect, 95 threshold gives a better NCAA 14 game but it does not give a better representation of college football. Bottom line is, until my 88 speed Qb is not being run down in the backfield by 77 speed DE/DT's we can't call it sim. Every time I see a slider thread that says "Oh Sim Super realistic gameplay" and then I go in and see the threshold at 75+ I shake my head. Does that work in Madden? Of course it does, the speed differential is barely any in the NFL (I've seen Michael Vick tackled from behind by DT's before) But guys this is not Madden and this is not the NFL Speed kills in College, it's a much more open game, and we need to be trying to replicate that.

Bottom line is the High threshold is NOT the answer to fixing the pass coverage. . .at least if sim is our goal.
This just sounds like another person who criticizes the high threshold, and sliders, without even trying it first.

As I always say, and have to continuously say, the proof is in the pudding. I stream every single night and show how a high threshold looks. I've been on every single night since this game came out - and we have looked at ALL thresholds. 95 not only allows actual separation, it allows for better coverage because it keeps the players closer together - and a sense of awareness as a result.

So, unless you have tried it - don't make a comment. You think EA really knows what threshold does? Obviously they don't when their representation of penalties and backwards sliders do not even do what they are supposed to do.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:54 PM   #28
Banned

OVR: 5

Nah man and I don't want to sound critical of your sliders at all because I tried them and liked them (Except for the fact that I had to edit my O-line down because I do sim a lot of games so it got to tedious for me but thats a personal problem). I really appreciate all of your theories and work in this slider forum But every school I play with I like to use running qb's and I just got sick of being run down by lineman after I took off. . .also I think that Punt / Kick returns suffer from the high thresh as well that's my only two issues, the positive effects it has on the other parts of the game are undeniable, but for me I just am not willing to sacrifice the mobility of my QB/PR's

And trust me I definitely know by now that EA doesn't have the slightest clue what their sliders do.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:13 PM   #29
Pro

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingV2k3
Well, this is certainly a find...

If OPI @ 100 will actually trigger a drive killing penalty once in a great while, it may be worth it to me...

Is there any setting BELOW 100 that also triggers the penalty or does the slider have to be maxed out?

THANKS!
I tried different settings but haven't seen it even at 90. Also for full disclosure I saw this while DPI was 100 and it triggers a similar animation. It was very useful to see what this penalty slider actually causes because in the past I had never seen one. All 3 penalties looked identical. Check it out. I don't know how to record video or do youtube but if you can catch it and post it everyone could see the animation effects of OPI.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:44 PM   #30
Pro

OVR: 7

DPI definitely has an effect. Look at it as an aggression slider more than a defensive pass interference penalty slider. Think of it this way fellas. When a slider doesn't create more or less penalties, there is a chance that its affect is represented differently. DPI really shows up in press coverage. That alone can make a difference in a game. Washington State passed on my All-Time USC team for 428 yards and five touchdowns with another popular Heisman slider set on this board. I purposely created a defense to totally outmatch the CPU for testing purposes. In order to really stop them, I had to play like I was in Ultimate Team cheeser mode. I don't want to play games like that offline. I want realism. Tweaking the DPI alone dropped Wazoo down to 295 yards passing. Same match up, same play calls. The timing of the receiver routes makes a big impact on the CPU going into God mode throwing the ball. When you press cover at a higher DPI, those wide outs don't run free into your zones.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:08 PM   #31
Rookie

burter's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt10
This just sounds like another person who criticizes the high threshold, and sliders, without even trying it first.

As I always say, and have to continuously say, the proof is in the pudding. I stream every single night and show how a high threshold looks. I've been on every single night since this game came out - and we have looked at ALL thresholds. 95 not only allows actual separation, it allows for better coverage because it keeps the players closer together - and a sense of awareness as a result.

So, unless you have tried it - don't make a comment. You think EA really knows what threshold does? Obviously they don't when their representation of penalties and backwards sliders do not even do what they are supposed to do.
High threshold fixes certain coverages (but I never had a problem with that as I blitz a lot and pressure on the QB causes them to throw bad passes even with jarrod's black sliders) the problem I have with what everyone is saying is that no one is even mentioning that in man 2 man there is nothing, I mean NOTHING, that fixes out patterns or curls. Idk why people are glossing over that fact. You can play great D, than on 3rd and 10 the cpu will one run of those routes, hit the wr and your guy will be 8-10 yards back. Sure if I get pressure I can stop that from happening, but if I don't, it's over. I don't care that they complete it, it's the fact that no coverage guy is within a country mile of the wr.

I've see this broken play at least 3-5 times a game. There are 2 slot wr's doing the same route on the same side of the field and the first coverage guy will actually be by the 2nd wr that made his break after the first wr, so it looks like you have coverage but that isnt even his guy! So when that 2nd wr catches the ball the 1st coverage guy keeps running after the 1st wr. I mean it's just BS stuff like that where I just can't get through a game no matter what slider set I use. That annoys me to no end because I'm a defensive guy and seeing just broken game play like that infuriates me.

And believe me I give you Matt and others all the respect in the world for trying to find ways to fix this game for all of us, but that part just destroyed the game for me . Haven't played in about a week now. I guess I am done......

Quotes lines from Mr. Schwarzenegger
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDxn0...eature=related

How to not get your a** kicked by the police.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=uj0mtxXEGE8#!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-01-2013, 09:27 PM   #32
Rookie

The_Gaming_Disciple's Arena

OVR: 8

I did some slider testing for myself.

I played as Penn State (me) vs. Alabama (cpu) at Beaver Stadium.

All sliders were at default except for Interceptions. Interception for AI was set to 100.

The game threshold speed was at 95. Game difficulty, Offense Varsity, Defense Heisman.

The game speed was set to very slow. Home field advantage was turned off.

All penalty settings were left at default.

I played the first quarter with CPU interceptions at 50.

I ran the exact same offensive play down the field for the entire first quarter. The play was Ace Normal Big, Curl Flats. I threw to the same exact WR (split end) on my left side.

What I noticed is that with CPU interceptions set at 50 my WR on the curl route consistently gained 10+ yards on every catch in man coverage with no pressure. The DB glitch was also apparent. The CPU defensive back would take two to three steps back, right before my wide receiver caught the ball.

In zone coverage, the defensive back would stay in their zone; however, I was still able to gain 10+ yards of offense.

In the second quarter I moved CPU interceptions all the way up to 100 while Human interceptions remained at 50. I ran the exact same play down the field, Ace Normal Big, Curl Flats, and threw to the exact same WR (split end) on my left side. The defensive backs, as well as linebackers in man coverage stuck to my players like glue. Every pass I threw was for an interception. I had time in the pocket consistently and noticed the DB's and LB's would move in front of my players while waiting for me to throw the ball. As soon as the ball was thrown it was intercepted.

In zone coverage, the DB's and LB's played their area and no interceptions were made when I threw to a receiver that was not covered. (WIDE OPEN)

I want to stress again. With CPU interceptions at 100. The CPU intercepted every pass. No drops.

What I have noticed, and concluded from this test is that the interception slider for the CPU controls how tightly the DB's and LB's cover their receiver. They remain with them step for step. I am not sure if this is only noticeable with a 95 threshold and very slow speed gameplay.

Please feel free to test, and give me your results. P.S. I am playing on the PS3.

Last edited by The_Gaming_Disciple; 08-01-2013 at 10:00 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Sliders »