Home

Old 07-10-2013, 01:45 AM   #1
Rookie

brianski71's Arena

OVR: 0
Real Players

I was really fired up when I heard that real players were making their way (in mass numbers) to NCAA for the first time this year. I thought that finally after all these years, this may be the one ultimate team mode I may stick with because of the newness of having real guys to fill my team.

However, after spending about an hour setting up my team and starting a game, I quickly realized that I'll hate this just like the other ultimate team modes. All of the "cool factor" of having real players goes right out the window when the equipment that they wear on the game isn't even close to what they wear (ok, wore) in real life. I understand that not every piece of equipment that all of these guys has ever worn is in the current game. I get that. But when Peyton Manning is under center wearing a Revo Speed helmet, (1. It didn't exist when he was at Tennessee. 2. He's never even switched to it in the NFL.) tight jersey sleeves, and one calf band, I just can't bring myself to believe that Peyton Manning is running my team. They went through all of the trouble of getting his real face in the game (ok, probably stole it from Madden) but couldn't help themselves from dressing him like an absolute clown, in gear that his dorky self wouldn't ever be caught dead in? Obviously, I just picked Manning as my most glaring example. I haven't seen one player that looks right yet. None of them (at least the common names) wear what they wore in college, or even anything close to what they wear in the NFL. This just completely ruins the immersion factor of what would normally be an awesome new mode.

Now, I've complained for years about the players not wearing gear realistic for an 18-22 "nameless" player. But, to a certain degree I understand EA's not wanting to outfit today's players in any gear that may further identify them, especially with the ongoing lawsuits. But there's no excuse for this. The Madden team manages to change a player's gloves, shoe style, or facemask if it changes mid-season. Would it really hurt the NCAA team to do just a bit of research to determine what these REAL guys actually wore in college? Or at least do the best they can with the gear provided to them?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-10-2013, 04:40 AM   #2
Pro

OVR: 7
Re: Real Players

Yeah, I don't get it either. I could create more accurate looking Ultimate Teams with Team Builder or editing a custom roster myself. What are you playing for? Virtual cards? Half the players I "won" in challenges look nothing like they do/did in real life. Obviously, current college players can't have likeness, but why am I playing with a Barry Sanders who is wearing a Revo Robot facemask? The challenges are fun to play, but it totally leaves me dissatisfied to build a junk stock roster. I've got a couple of players sharing the same number on defense. I thought EA said that would cause the universe to implode when people requested editing duplicate numbers in the team manager a few years ago?
Old 07-10-2013, 11:47 AM   #3
Banned

Old School SD Fan's Arena

OVR: 3

Well, reckon I'll stick with Maddden UT then as the legends at least come close to looking like the legends in that game.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:59 PM   #4
Rookie

brianski71's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivals
Yeah, I don't get it either. I could create more accurate looking Ultimate Teams with Team Builder or editing a custom roster myself. What are you playing for? Virtual cards? Half the players I "won" in challenges look nothing like they do/did in real life. Obviously, current college players can't have likeness, but why am I playing with a Barry Sanders who is wearing a Revo Robot facemask? The challenges are fun to play, but it totally leaves me dissatisfied to build a junk stock roster. I've got a couple of players sharing the same number on defense. I thought EA said that would cause the universe to implode when people requested editing duplicate numbers in the team manager a few years ago?
Haha, you hit it on the head, man. I can't get into using all of these "legends" when they're dressed like absolute clowns. I swear half of the players on my team have one long sleeve and one short or a wrist/arm/calf band on one side and not the other. When did players ever dress like this? Now? The 80s? 90s? 00s? EVER? No idea how Madden can nail the legends and every current player, and NCAA screws up the same players. They're the SAME players. I you don't know what to outfit them in, fire up Madden and copy it piece-for-piece. I'd take Peyton Manning and his NFL-years Revolution helmet before I'll ever get comfortable looking at him in this space-age thing they have him in on NCAA and the tight sleeves, armbands, etc. How does this possibly get screwed up?

As far as the duplicate numbers....I'm sick of the excuses. Why is it possible to give every player on the team the same number if you want in Teambuilder, but not in the base roster? When will they realize that duplicate numbers are something that EVERY NCAA team has and we need the ability to change to them since so many of their numbers are wrong at launch? (even though it's usually not their fault, due to freshmen, position changes, and number changes.)
Old 07-10-2013, 06:24 PM   #5
Pro

BearClaw's Arena

OVR: 9

Plunkett at stanford in the 70's

Plunkett in NCAA 14
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-10-2013, 07:53 PM   #6
Pro

OVR: 7

This year's game definitely has an MS Paint look to it.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:12 PM   #7
Eagles Fan

BleedGreen710's Arena

OVR: 6

I play ultimate for fun, not realism. I like it because if you finish a game with unrealistic stats it doesn't matter. You don't have to mess with sliders. You just play games and have fun building your team. Probably the most stress free, fun mode in the game (if you know what you're doing). That being said I could really not give a damn what equipment the players are wearing. If you are looking for a realistic football game with real players then im not sure why you are looking for it in NCAA Football Ultimate Team, an advertised arcade style fantasy card game. You said it yourself, Madden updates equipment regularly and its more accurate, so maybe you should try that instead of trying to make NCAA Ultimate Team into something its not.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:38 PM   #8
Banned

Old School SD Fan's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedGreen710
I play ultimate for fun, not realism. I like it because if you finish a game with unrealistic stats it doesn't matter. You don't have to mess with sliders. You just play games and have fun building your team. Probably the most stress free, fun mode in the game (if you know what you're doing). That being said I could really not give a damn what equipment the players are wearing. If you are looking for a realistic football game with real players then im not sure why you are looking for it in NCAA Football Ultimate Team, an advertised arcade style fantasy card game. You said it yourself, Madden updates equipment regularly and its more accurate, so maybe you should try that instead of trying to make NCAA Ultimate Team into something its not.

If it was doable in Madden it was doable here. It simply was a poor first effort by the NCAA team, and while it may not bother you, it bothers many. In my case, it bothers me sufficiently I'll stick to Dynasty and confine my UT gaming to Madden.

And that disappoints me as I was looking forward to UT in NCAA.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NCAA Football > NCAA Football Ultimate Team Forum »