Home

Real-Time Physics

This is a discussion on Real-Time Physics within the NCAA Football Wishlist Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NCAA Football > NCAA Football Wishlist Forum
FIFA 21 Review
Tennis World Tour 2 Review
Doug Flutie's Maximum Football 2020 Review
Poll: Which next-gen console are you going to purchase? (Click to vote)

Old 06-20-2010, 06:52 PM   #1
Rookie

ThisIsReality's Arena

OVR: 4
Real-Time Physics

Posted this in the Madden forum.

Seriously, how much longer must we wait for this for EA's football games?

Locomotion sure has improved these franchises but real-time physics would be loved by everyone. EA would do stuff that Backbreaker can't which is a non-annoying camera and realistic player builds.

NHL, Fight Night, Elite and Tiger Woods have it for crying out loud!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-24-2010, 09:37 PM   #2
Rookie

Card-me's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Real-Time Physics

I hope to see it soon as well. Football is the sport where it would be most useful, but also most difficult to implement because there is ALWAYS physical contact and interaction going on, and there are so many different ways.

Backbreaker showed what a physics system can add to a football game, but it also showed the problems that can arise (like linemen balance issues and running backs being tackled by their own players).
Old 06-29-2010, 07:18 PM   #3
MVP

berad88's Arena

OVR: 10

I honestly saw nothing in the backbreaker demo that looked like something I never saw before in a game. This could be because the camera stays so close to the person with the ball that you often can't see anything in a crowd. Its an idea that has a lot of potential though.

I am fine with real time physics being introduced to EA Football games ONLY if it means they do not have to take a big step backwards and strip the game down to nothing and re add everything as new features all over again.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:08 PM   #4
MVP

Pokes404's Arena

I guess I'm on the opposite side of the coin, because if it comes down to either keeping a "feature" or adding real-time physics ... strip the features, by all means. Sure, I'd like Dynasty and Online Dynasty to stay in, but I'd so much rather have real time physics for collisions/tackles/player interactions that I'd be fine with dropping Road to Glory, Season Showdown, Run/Pass Commit, Teambuilder, etc.

I seriously doubt they'd have to strip anything out of the game to make way for real-time physics though. I'm just making a point. Real-time physics is the last hurdle EA has to overcome to make NCAA/Madden truly great. The way players shift and get sucked into each other on blocks/tackles, the way two players get caught in a tackle animation and can't be affected by anyone else (players just fall out of the way), and the way weight and momentum are largely ignored in NCAA/Madden are nearly game killers in my opinion. Fortunately for EA, these games do enough right to keep me coming back (just barely), but Backbreaker has really shined a spotlight on EA's shortcomings in regards to physics.

I said, before any info was released on NCAA 11, that I would not buy the game unless they A) drastically improved the locomotion physics ... which they did, and B) improve the blocking AI ... which they did. Now I'm setting a new condition for NCAA 12. No real-time physics, no purchase from me. I don't care what else they do, the gameplay has hit a glass ceiling in terms of realism and authenticity. The gameplay simply can not evolve much beyond this point unless they develop a much better real-time physics engine(s) for blocking/tackling/player interactions. I sincerely hope they can do it.

Last edited by Pokes404; 06-30-2010 at 12:24 PM.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:20 PM   #5
Banned

Charleston_Tiger's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by berad88
I honestly saw nothing in the backbreaker demo that looked like something I never saw before in a game. This could be because the camera stays so close to the person with the ball that you often can't see anything in a crowd. Its an idea that has a lot of potential though.

I am fine with real time physics being introduced to EA Football games ONLY if it means they do not have to take a big step backwards and strip the game down to nothing and re add everything as new features all over again.
Might want to revisit the Backbreaker Demo then. I will still be purchasing NCAA, but Natural Motions player animations are way ahead of EAs. If you could combine Backbreaker physics with NCAA/Madden graphics, AI, and Gameplay you would have a near perfect game.

The thing that drives me crazy about playing NCAA after playing BB is when I go to come up and assist on a tackle and he is locked in an animation. Instead of me being able to stop him in his tracks I am forced around the tackle animation because they are locked into it. That doesnt happen in BB if I join a tackle I actually effect it. Instead of me helplessly watching the RB fall forward for 2 more yards I can stop him dead in his tracks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-30-2010, 04:22 PM   #6
MVP

berad88's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston_Tiger
Might want to revisit the Backbreaker Demo then. I will still be purchasing NCAA, but Natural Motions player animations are way ahead of EAs. If you could combine Backbreaker physics with NCAA/Madden graphics, AI, and Gameplay you would have a near perfect game.

The thing that drives me crazy about playing NCAA after playing BB is when I go to come up and assist on a tackle and he is locked in an animation. Instead of me being able to stop him in his tracks I am forced around the tackle animation because they are locked into it. That doesnt happen in BB if I join a tackle I actually effect it. Instead of me helplessly watching the RB fall forward for 2 more yards I can stop him dead in his tracks.
I will take your word for it. I can't revisit the backbreaker demo. You couldn't pay me to play that game again. lol
I support the idea. I just hope the technology is ready to be put into a real football game and that its not a bunch of dreaming.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NCAA Football > NCAA Football Wishlist Forum »