Home

Recruiting Busts?

This is a discussion on Recruiting Busts? within the NCAA Football Wishlist forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Wishlist
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-02-2010, 02:34 PM   #17
MVP

OVR: 20
Re: Recruiting Busts?

I think the only real problem I have with it is I know who the busts and steals are going to be about 90 percent of the time. If you look for them they are really pretty easy to spot.
Old 07-02-2010, 03:01 PM   #18
SD/LA Chargers?

TheBrothers24's Arena

OVR: 17

Last year as Penn State i had the #1 QB signed and needed him because my QB was graduating and i hadn't recruited a QB the past two years because i didn't need 1. Needless to say i saw his A+ THP and thought perfect for me and after his first game i felt like i was looking at Anthony Morreli all over again.

He had no accuracy what so ever and did nothing but throw picks. I benched him and he promptly transferred and the name Trent Jacobson was never heard of again in Happy Valley lol
Old 07-02-2010, 03:06 PM   #19
Air Raid

Dr Death's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmik58
Are you saying he was rated an 89 but played horribly? Or did his rating drop also? Do you know what ratings caused him to stink it up?
Yes, he was a True Freshman and rated 89, yet every WR in the game could beat him easily. His tackling sucked, despite being high for a CB. If memory serves his tackle ability was in the low 70's... his speed was high... like 94... his awareness was 85 or 86... every possible number was high... a real 5 star recruit... but on the field he just sucked.

After six games I couldn't take it anymore so I benched him and started a guy who was rated 68... and he played way better than the guy rated 89. He was still on the team his Sophomore year but I recruited several CB's and had some Juniors and Seniors so the 89 rated Freshman was 7th string.

His rating went up to 92 his Sophomore year but he didn't take the field once. Then he transferred to Iowa State. I was glad he chose to leave. LOL

As far as what caused him to play poorly? I just figured EA had it set so some guys are just busts. I liked that it was like that, but hated having that guy on the field.

Old 07-02-2010, 03:51 PM   #20
Staff Writer

jmik58's Arena

OVR: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Death
Yes, he was a True Freshman and rated 89, yet every WR in the game could beat him easily. His tackling sucked, despite being high for a CB. If memory serves his tackle ability was in the low 70's... his speed was high... like 94... his awareness was 85 or 86... every possible number was high... a real 5 star recruit... but on the field he just sucked.

After six games I couldn't take it anymore so I benched him and started a guy who was rated 68... and he played way better than the guy rated 89. He was still on the team his Sophomore year but I recruited several CB's and had some Juniors and Seniors so the 89 rated Freshman was 7th string.

His rating went up to 92 his Sophomore year but he didn't take the field once. Then he transferred to Iowa State. I was glad he chose to leave. LOL

As far as what caused him to play poorly? I just figured EA had it set so some guys are just busts. I liked that it was like that, but hated having that guy on the field.
Very cool observations. It would be neat if EA had stats to show how poorly he played, but that would require them to show success percentages like how often he was thrown at and how often a catch was made, etc.

Did he have a bad zone or man coverage rating ? I'm so intrigued by this.
Old 07-02-2010, 04:02 PM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 6

The issue with the last few years of NCAA is that you could tell who was a bust before they even signed and you could see their ratings. When a 5* RB or WR has B- speed, you already know he isn't going to amount to anything because he's so slow. Plus, the good computer teams won't even recruit them until they start to lose guys they wanted. That's why I want scouting to become a part of the recruiting process in NCAA. Each team's scout rates a player slightly different, so you can't just look at their A's and B's ratings and already know a guy with A+ speed is 96+, a guy with A speed is 93-95, a guy with A- speed is 90-92, and so on.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-02-2010, 04:15 PM   #22
Air Raid

Dr Death's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmik58
Very cool observations. It would be neat if EA had stats to show how poorly he played, but that would require them to show success percentages like how often he was thrown at and how often a catch was made, etc.

Did he have a bad zone or man coverage rating ? I'm so intrigued by this.
No, his numbers were all, what I would call, off the chart. The guy I had prior, who had just graduated, was a 99 overall and the incoming, 5-star Freshman had numbers that were very close to his. I knew that by his Jr. year he would be a 99 easily.

So initially I was very excited. I lost a 99 CB and replaced him w/ an 89... not bad. Then the season started. Every time the opponent had a "must-have" situation... 3rd and long, 4th and goal in the final minutes of a close game, etc... they threw his way and were successful.

On regular situations, 2nd and 5 in the first quarter, he couldn't stop anything then either. I started blitzing more because I feared what this guy was going to give up. I was Colorado, it was my 6th year and I was coming off an 11-2 season and a big bowl win over, if memory serves, Penn State.

I had an A+ schedule, because I don't like playing cupcakes when my team is loaded. And that Freshman CB nearly cost me 4 games out of the first six. I was 5-1... he did cost me a game against Oklahoma... but could have easily been 1-5 all because of him.

If you looked at his numbers they were insanely good. As a coach you felt like you had Lester Hayes or Charles Woodson on the field. Only he turned out to be Toast. He couldn't defend, he couldn't tackle... he played six games and then played a few times when an injury occurred. He ended w/ 1 interception and that was off a tipped pass. He was actually out of position but the ball deflected to him.

I've had other guys who never really lived up to their recruiting status, but none ever as badly as him.

Old 07-02-2010, 05:00 PM   #23
All Star

OVR: 19

I've had this happen. Actually one year (I think it was 09) I did a SDSU dynasty, had a decent recruiting class (I think it was my 2nd year) where I got a 4* MLB and a 3*MLB (Nick Grant, he wore #11, will never forget it...lame, I know), The 4* ended up not doing ANYTHING for me, I think I even ended up cutting him before his Sr season, but the 3* was an absolute STUD! After putting him in the lineup in a Practice and watching him make plays I put him as my starter, he absolutely killed!

I also had a 3* QB (Justin Turner #6) that same recruiting class that ended up starting after just a few games due to an injury and he never saw the bench the rest of his career (even after my starter who was rated well above him returned from injury).

I've also had 5* guys not pan out. Most of them were worthy of starting, but were unreliable when I needed play-makers. A handful have been career backups though.
Old 07-03-2010, 08:02 AM   #24
Staff Writer

jmik58's Arena

OVR: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Death
No, his numbers were all, what I would call, off the chart. The guy I had prior, who had just graduated, was a 99 overall and the incoming, 5-star Freshman had numbers that were very close to his. I knew that by his Jr. year he would be a 99 easily.

So initially I was very excited. I lost a 99 CB and replaced him w/ an 89... not bad. Then the season started. Every time the opponent had a "must-have" situation... 3rd and long, 4th and goal in the final minutes of a close game, etc... they threw his way and were successful.

On regular situations, 2nd and 5 in the first quarter, he couldn't stop anything then either. I started blitzing more because I feared what this guy was going to give up. I was Colorado, it was my 6th year and I was coming off an 11-2 season and a big bowl win over, if memory serves, Penn State.

I had an A+ schedule, because I don't like playing cupcakes when my team is loaded. And that Freshman CB nearly cost me 4 games out of the first six. I was 5-1... he did cost me a game against Oklahoma... but could have easily been 1-5 all because of him.

If you looked at his numbers they were insanely good. As a coach you felt like you had Lester Hayes or Charles Woodson on the field. Only he turned out to be Toast. He couldn't defend, he couldn't tackle... he played six games and then played a few times when an injury occurred. He ended w/ 1 interception and that was off a tipped pass. He was actually out of position but the ball deflected to him.

I've had other guys who never really lived up to their recruiting status, but none ever as badly as him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCoffey
I've had this happen. Actually one year (I think it was 09) I did a SDSU dynasty, had a decent recruiting class (I think it was my 2nd year) where I got a 4* MLB and a 3*MLB (Nick Grant, he wore #11, will never forget it...lame, I know), The 4* ended up not doing ANYTHING for me, I think I even ended up cutting him before his Sr season, but the 3* was an absolute STUD! After putting him in the lineup in a Practice and watching him make plays I put him as my starter, he absolutely killed!

I also had a 3* QB (Justin Turner #6) that same recruiting class that ended up starting after just a few games due to an injury and he never saw the bench the rest of his career (even after my starter who was rated well above him returned from injury).

I've also had 5* guys not pan out. Most of them were worthy of starting, but were unreliable when I needed play-makers. A handful have been career backups though.

So we have questions about what ratings matter, what positions aren't affected by ratings in relation to on-field performance, and NOW you're telling me that players can be over-rated?

Moral of the story, practice with your team and know your team. I know I will after reading this thread.

It's all about on-field performance.

A 40 can play like a 90, 80% of the time; while a 90 might actually be a 70 with inflated entrance/scouting numbers, 10% of the time.

The more I know, the less I know. But I do know that 90% of all statistics are made up 23.5% of the time.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Wishlist »