Home

Let's talk animations...

This is a discussion on Let's talk animations... within the NCAA Football Wishlist forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Wishlist
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-18-2010, 10:12 PM   #1
We Here

Hassan Darkside's Arena

OVR: 34
Let's talk animations...

One of the high points of this years game is the animations, however there is much that still needs to be added. Animations to me are at the top when it comes to gameplay improvement. That's the first thing you notice in picking up a new game. They're the little things that make the game and keep it fresh.

Animations that need to go:

Fight for yards - Not really a big fan of these, they don't look organic and many of the animations have your player doing something that's physically impossible.

Truck and stumble+roll for extra yards - A power back animation, this animation CANNOT be interrupted. It's annoying to have a player tackled short of the first only for him to stumble ahead for 7 more yards while you have players diving at him that can't deter him. Hey, it looks cool but still...

Facemask tackles - There's what? 2 or 3 of these animations. You see them about 30 times a game, some called, some not. None are new and have been in the game a couple years now. And in reality, tackles like these would lead to broken necks. These are extremely over-exaggerated. Also, many facemasks happen by guys not in position to make the tackle. This was done well in APF2k8 where a player would get juked out or fly by, reach out and tug the facemask for a split second but it wouldn't stop the ball carrier.

Hit stick missile launch animation - Most of the hit stick animations are more realistic but this one remains from a few years ago. A player just launches himself into the chest of the ball carrier and flattens him. It doesn't take into account momentum or anything.

Holding/clipping animations - Very unoriginal and also overexaggerated. There's only like 2 of these, one where the player just blatantly reaches across the body and grabs the defender and one that's a tackle. How about more realistic grabbing outside of the shoulder pads? How about the one armed strangle hold O-Lineman often put on power rushing D-ends? Same for clipping animations. All clips are blatant in the game.

Cornerback diving breakup - This is triggered way too often. Doesn't necessarily need to be scrapped, but needs to be toned down.

All Touchdown celebrations - The mascot celebrations are ridiculous now and rarely ever happen in college football. The team celebrations are cool, but it's only one animation. Why can't there be a few variations of the "U" or the hook 'em horn? And why do the players always just drop the football on the ground? Hand the ball to the ref, flip it up over their head, whatever. EA, just watch 2 college football games and copy all celebrations you see.

Dive over the top - The over the top dive was cool when it was first added but still, no modifications. The mid-air collisions are the same and half the time it doesn't take into regard offensive players in front of you.

All other dives - The over the pylon dives have been in the game for about a decade. The other dives have been in the game for about half a decade. I don't understand why there are still animations from last gen on the 5th iteration of a next gen sports game...

That stiff arm... You know the one I'm talking about. When the 195 lb tailback tosses off the 240 lb linebacker. I'm pretty sure Vernon Davis is the only person I can think of that legitimately threw a person off of him like that and he was a freak.

Injury animations - Players just roll over on the ground. Go with real-time injuries, players coming up hobbling, pulled hamstrings, twisted ankles, etc.

Animations that need to be added:
QB Animations: There's a good thread going for this already. Add in all styles that are in Madden, just give them generic names. Randomize them for recruits. Release should be something to consider with quarterbacks. Also we need QB elude animations like NFL 2k5. There's no reason for the pass fake to encompass the whole right analog stick. Lack of elude animations is part of the reason people scramble 20 yards behind the line.

Power back animations:Speed still rules in this game and I'm pretty sure the vast majority prefers a Noel Devine to a John Clay. There's only one legit truck animation while the rest are defenders being shed off. Power backs should 90% of the time fall forward. They should be a great counter to the hitstick. They should be able to absorb a hitstick blow. Not necessarily shed it, but the hit should stand them up or stop them in their tracks so pro-tak can come in. DBs should also struggle mightily at bringing them down. Power backs should also be laced with their own type of cuts and juke moves. Leave the jump cuts for scat backs.

Stiff arm: The 2 stiff arm tackles are played out as well. defenders being stiff armed should grab on for dear life. They should grab the arm. Some reach up and grab the jersey and just try to yank the ball carrier down. They should hold on for the ride. On the offensive side big players should just be able to shove down DBs. Normal sized backs with a decent stiff arm should just be able to use it to create separation.

Strip ball: Yea overhaul these too. There should be two main animations, the tomahawk chop (what my coach calls it) and the punch from behind. When tackling a player from the front trying to strip, it should be able to lead into pro-tak. Since we're on the topic...

Fumbles: The ball shouldn't always end up dead on the turf. It should roll out of bounds. Players that try to scoop and score should end up shoving it forward, kicking it, etc. There should be pile-ups.

Tackling animations: Not much has changed in this department. There's an awful lot of arm and swing tackles in this game. DBs should have their own special tackles. Safeties can blast receivers with shoulder pad tackles. Most corners, however, should automatically go low and try to tackle runningbacks at the legs.

Catching animations: For whatever reason, there's still catching animations that can only take place in the endzone. EA finally added a diving catch animation (albeit from Madden 2001). There needs to be a ton more catches going to the ground. This cuts back on high scoring games, high ypc averages, and QB averages. QB Accuracy should be demonstrated here. You see lots of slant routes thrown low where only the receiver can get it. There should also be passes thrown behind that the receiver has to reach back and get. There should be over the shoulder catches where the player is running full speed yet so focused on making the catch that he catches it, loses his balance, and falls down. Happens all the time.

DB animations: I think swats/batted balls needs to be redone. Players rarely are able to swat the ball down into the ground, they focus more on just getting a hand up. Also, players don't always look at the football to breakup passes. There should be face guarding type animations where the DB is running with both hands up but still focused on the receiver. There should be 2-man jump ball animations for fade routes. Also there should be arm bars and defensive holding animations so pass interference isn't only called when you hitstick a guy before the ball gets there.

Other stuff...
-Would be cool to see some unforced errors, bad snaps, fumbled snaps.
-False start animations and off side animations could use some renewal
-Would be cool if referees actually did stuff, could be knocked down, threw hats, flags, bags
-Get rid of cutscenes! Cutscenes are soooo Live 2003. They're just poor substitutions for lack of animations. Go the 2k route with close ups while players animate properly for the proper situation.

The goal should be to make players feel different. That's all off the top of my head I can think of. I'm sure after I play again I'll remember a bunch more. Feel free to add on.
Royce da 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican
How many brothers fell victim to the skeet.........
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-18-2010, 11:29 PM   #2
MVP

jbrew2411's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: Let's talk animations...

I agree that animations are a huge part of game play. As a high school OC & QB coach I would love to see some new QB throwing motions. It seems like every QB throws the same. That is as far from the truth as can be. When I watch football on Saturdays I always break down the QB's. You should see different release points and arm angles.
Like you, I hate the end zone celebrations. If you celebrate with a mascot then you should get a flag. I would like to see more team celebrations.
I would want late hits added to the game. I don;t know how many times I have seen my QB get hit after running out of bounds or on passes. The animation is there it just needs to be called.

There are 2 things that kill a game IMO. 1) poor game play 2) lack of depth in a mode like franchise. I love NCAA football and have for years but I need a game that is moving in a new direction. I feel like NCAA 11 is close in game play but just needs a few tweaks.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:22 AM   #3
We Here

Hassan Darkside's Arena

^^Yea forgot about the late hits. Crazy thing is they were in NCAA 10 weren't they? Hits out of bounds?
Royce da 5'9"

Quote:
Old 12-19-2010, 08:50 AM   #4
MVP

jbrew2411's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruff Ryder
^^Yea forgot about the late hits. Crazy thing is they were in NCAA 10 weren't they? Hits out of bounds?
I don't remember. I gave up on NCAA 10 after 2 months or so. That was the first time I traded the game in early. I had always keep the games until the next one came out but for some reason I just didn't like that game. I guess because I loved NCAA 09 for the wide open game play and 10 just felt different. I think it was NCAA 09 that I last remember late hits. I use to get killed with late hits on the QB.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:09 PM   #5
Banned

AttackAttack's Arena

OVR: 6

Please please give us different GENERIC qb animations. At least three different ones. Qbs that hold the ball high, low, and frantic. Kind of like the "gunslinger" type. Different types of throwing motions would be nice too.

One more thing. I dont care what you have to do. Fix the damn ball size.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-19-2010, 08:13 PM   #6
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29

I agree with all that has been said.

I'd like to see better tackle animations by corners. Honestly they need to break up the tackle animations into groups.

Stud LB
Weak LB
Average LB

Hard hitting safety
Can't tackle safety
Average safety

Don't let terrible players trigger the same animations as the great.

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)
Old 12-19-2010, 08:31 PM   #7
We Here

Hassan Darkside's Arena

Yes. It should be done the same way dunk packages are done in basketball games. I'm pretty sure they have "tackle packages" in the game but they haven't been expanded on since last gen.
Royce da 5'9"

Quote:
Old 12-19-2010, 10:56 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

• I think most of the penalties animations got tooken away because probably doesnt want to be represented in a negative way. scrap the onlys they have and add new ones. nothing over the top, but good ones. No cutscenes, I want to see teams running and celebrating and coaches celebrating.
  • there should be more tackle animations. I want to see wrap-up animations. no players falling around tackling animations. tackle rating should have huge effects.
  • more hit stick animations. Players with high ratings should not miss hit stick animations often. I want to see bigger hits.
  • more d-line animations. A bull rush. o line getting throw to the ground. power move rating doesnt having much meaning. Strength having a bigger effect. more finesse moves. getting low
  • RB animations. I want to animations where they break the tackle and get stood up and continue running. I want to see better dragging animations. I want to see animations where the RB lowers his shoulders. Bouncing off defenders. I want to see RB pushing blockers in certain directions. and pointing to defenders to block. getting low.
  • Catch animations. I want to see WRs snatching the ball out of air. more animations where the WR goes to the ground. more one handed catch animations.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Wishlist »